Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a letter in the mail today from Volkswagen of America, Inc. telling me of a safety recall.

Recall Description: Cracks may form in the vehicle's gasoline fuel filter flange, allowing fuel to seep out. Leaking fuel, in the presence of an ignition source, could lead to a fire causing injury and/or damage to property.

Precautions You Should Take: If you smell fuel in the vehicle, make an appointment with your authorized Volkswagen dealer to have the vehicle inspected without delay. If diagnosis confirms that your vehicle has the recall issue as described in this letter, we will cover the cost of the repair at no expense to you.

But it doesn't say anything about what to do otherwise, i.e. not smelling gas... Should I really wait to smell gas if there is a potential problem? Has any one else gotten this letter?

I also looked up my VIN on www-dot-vw-dot-com Look Up Recalls link and there were no results! Strange!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I also received a recall letter. Same here with a 2008 V8. I'm about due to change my oil in a couple days so i'll look around but I haven't smelled anything or even heard about this issue. Better safe then sorry I guess so it's good VW is acknowledging the issue! My letter says another one will be sent whenever the repair becomes available.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got the letter too for my 08 V8 but the NHSTA site shows no recalls for my VIN and neither does the VW.COM site. You'd figure VW would have it's act together by now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What happens if you already repaired the Fuel filter flange like I did in February? I had the work done by my mechanic and not the dealer. Cost me $400. I would assume VW will reimburse?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
What happens if you already repaired the Fuel filter flange like I did in February? I had the work done by my mechanic and not the dealer. Cost me $400. I would assume VW will reimburse?
Same here, mine was fixed,at the VW dealership six months ago. I used my extended warranty but had to pay $100 deductible.

I wonder if they used the upgraded parts or will they have to re-do it?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Received the 1st of 2 recall letters today (07 V8 FSI) . Is the flange part of the filter or just a seal for fuel pump and filter. Would love to have New filters installed under this recall

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
If you've already had the repair done, hopefully you can be reimbursed.

Ford did that for me on my hybrid coolant pump. I paid out of pocket to replace it and when it was recalled, they reimbursed me for everything except about $20 in shop fees. I thought that was more than fair.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Going to have to watch the mailbox for my 08 V8, but I somehow think VW doesn't know I own it because they still send me notifications for a car I last owned nearly a decade ago..they are a little behind with me I guess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
take what they say to you with a grain of salt.... VW told me that it was not an active recall, so I paid $790 to have it fixed !!I contacted the NHTSA's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 and inquire about safety campaign #17V151000 and they told me it IS an active recall and was contacting VW to find out why I was told otherwise.
it can be fine one day and the next you think you are covered with gasoline.... do not mess around with this one seeing how it is under the rear seat where the kids sit....
2007-2010 Volkswagen Touareg recalled for fuel leak, fire risk

·
Registered
10 Posts
take what they say to you with a grain of salt.... VW told me that it was not an active recall, so I paid $790 to have it fixed !!I contacted the NHTSA's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 and inquire about safety campaign #17V151000 and they told me it IS an active recall and was contacting VW to find out why I was told otherwise.
it can be fine one day and the next you think you are covered with gasoline.... do not mess around with this one seeing how it is under the rear seat where the kids sit....
2007-2010 Volkswagen Touareg recalled for fuel leak, fire risk

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got the recall letter on a 08 V6. Can smell gas inside the cabin and outside of the car when standing next to the driver side back seat door. Fuel filter sits under the back seat behind the driver.

·
Registered
10 Posts
what did the letter say? I was told it wasn't an active recall and that the part was not available yet, then when I called I was told that it was an active recall... so they are telling 2 stories... I paid to have mine fixed at the dealer and it cost $790... a fuel leak is no joke, get it fixed ASAP at a dealership... I was told that a non-dealership repair will not be reimbursed. I'll keep you posted.... be safe & have funfunfun

·
Registered
11 Posts
My letter is from a few weeks ago and also says 'no repair available yet. Second letter to come'. However, VW's recall webpage list the recall as active for my VIN but says:

Recalls
REPAIR NOT YET AVAILABLE.
Fuel Filter Flange
VW ACTION CODE
20Z4
NHTSA RECALL NUMBER
17V151
START DATE
05-19-2017
DESCRIPTION
Over extended vehicle lifetime, cracks may form in the vehicle's gasoline fuel filter flange, allowing fuel to seep out. Leaking fuel, in the presence of an ignition source, could lead to a fire causing injury and/or damage to property.
REMEDY
Fuel filter flanges will be inspected for cracks and replaced if cracks are found. If no cracks are detected, a protective cover will be applied to the filter flange to prevent oxidization and future formation of cracks.

I guess that refers to the protective cover. If they exchange the Filter Flange and it lasts another 9 years... Who cares about the protective cover.

·
Registered
10 Posts
miles99, thank you very much... i'll need to find out if this protective cover was installed on my rig at the time they replaced the cracked flange.... I find it disheartening that we get two different answers from VW HQ.
have you noticed any leaking? have you had yours fixed yet? if you do not mind would you tell me if the cost was close to mine of $790?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went to the dealership today and the smell of gas came indeed from the cracked fuel filter flange. The smell is noticeable inside the cabin and also outside the car if you stand next to the B pillar. Replaced at no cost.

The dealership contacted VW and VW authorized the repair. If it's broken, they fix it for free under the current recall. If it's not broken there is currently nothing to 'fix', since the protective cover is not available yet.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I went to the dealership today and the smell of gas came indeed from the cracked fuel filter flange. The smell is noticeable inside the cabin and also outside the car if you stand next to the B pillar. Replaced at no cost.

The dealership contacted VW and VW authorized the repair. If it's broken, they fix it for free under the current recall. If it's not broken there is currently nothing to 'fix', since the protective cover is not available yet.
Glad they took care of you!!

Interesting that if it hasn't broken yet, the fix is not replacing the defective part, but putting a cover on it....

·
Registered
3,564 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've been smelling gas occasionally for the last week outside the car,not in the cabin and was particularly strong Friday so I called the dealer and made appt. for Monday morning. After waiting about an hour while they investigated they informed me that indeed the fuel filter housing was cracked and leaking badly. I was advised that they needed to order the part, that I should not drive the car and it should be ready for me to pick up Tuesday. Picked up car today, New fuel filter and flange at no charge. Will have to take it back in when recall fix parts become available. Want to thank Eric - Service Manager @ Cutrubus VW for taking care of me

1 - 20 of 132 Posts