Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor Reggie got taken away this morning by tow truck to be assessed and they called to say she was being written off. Water filled the passenger front and rear footwells and she died in the front yard. The dash display disappeared, key could not come out and tailgate would not open.

When the tow truck driver arrived this morning, he was a bit panicked as it was in Park and could not get it out of gear but he put a battery booster pack on it and got her breathing again and was able to actually start her again. He did warn me that I probably wouldn't see her again and did I have everything taken out of her. Just have to wait for Shannon's assessor to be in touch now after they have looked at her too.

Such a shame as she may not have been the prettiest Touareg in town but she ran so well, I had put seat covers on the seats, done the interior buttons, mud flaps, those special little down lights on the front doors, the chrome covers on the side mirrors, the rims refinished and even a new set of 18" rims that were going to be put on next tyre change. She never ever let me down and I loved the way she drove.

I will have to get another one - will also have to get another ClubTouareg sticker too!

You can see how damp she was inside:

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
How did it get flooded?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really heavy rain pouring from roof onto passenger side - I think it came in under the glovebox - I think there was also some water in the back too but I couldn't get in there to check under the spare.
We have had some terrible weather here just lately - this was on Thursday night (14th Jan)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Clean the bulkhead drains out as soon as you get you next Touareg!

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,161 Posts
Payout 'should' be quick.

Time to start shopping. T2 or T3?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clean the bulkhead drains out as soon as you get you next Touareg!
Absolutely! But I think with the amount of water that came down that night, even pristine drains would not have saved me :-(
Carport will also be on the cards.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,161 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
maybe some one can help me understand, isnt the sun roof when closed have a seal around it? and shouldnt it keep the water out? why are the drains being used even when the roof is closed? i also have water intrussion issue on my brand new 2015 amd for the life of me i cant understand how with that outer seal which seals the glass to the roof the water goes thru the drains anyway? you can drive 100 mph amd that seal keep all the air out but not water? im confused. thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
maybe some one can help me understand, isnt the sun roof when closed have a seal around it? and shouldnt it keep the water out? why are the drains being used even when the roof is closed? i also have water intrussion issue on my brand new 2015 amd for the life of me i cant understand how with that outer seal which seals the glass to the roof the water goes thru the drains anyway? you can drive 100 mph amd that seal keep all the air out but not water? im confused. thanks
Sounds like a warranty issue on the 2015 had that happen on a vehicle I used to own sunroof seal let water though and dripped right on the navigation also filled the interior light back hatch light from a non sealed

·
Registered
54 Posts
They replaced the seal for the sun roof but took 4 times to fix the leak in the back hatch which to me would have been an easier fix needless to say the Jeep Patriot turned into a Touareg cause of these reasons and it got atrocious fuel mileage about 1/2 to be honest

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
In this case I think it was blocked bulkhead drains, not sunroof drains, that caused the flood as the water came in through the air filter: that is a classic known issue on older Touaregs.

The floor floods and then water gets in all the electronic gubbins that is sited on the floor [a very sensible location - NOT!].

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
The floor floods and then water gets in all the electronic gubbins that is sited on the floor [a very sensible location - NOT!].
Nooby, as fate as it... I was there for the conversation.

Engineer 1: Lets put the control modules up high to protect them.
Engineer 2: From what? They will got hotter in the summer heat up high.
Engineer 1: From water. What if the sunroof leaks?
Engineer 2: Up High. So that they will be "closer" to the water leak?
Engineer 1: If we put them in the floorboard...
BOTH: Then they will be as far away from the water as possible.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
LOL!

As we know, an awful lot of engineers are extremely clever people . . . but with no common-sense!

·
Registered
295 Posts
LOL!

As we know, an awful lot of engineers are extremely clever people . . . but with no common-sense!
That' a little harsh - even for you Nooby.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I was also there, right up front of the room. I think you may have missed some of the conversation.

Nooby, as fate as it... I was there for the conversation.

Engineer 1: Lets put the control modules up high to protect them.
Engineer 2: From what? They will got hotter in the summer heat up high.
Bean Counter: That will cost too much.
Engineer 1: From water. What if the sunroof leaks?
Engineer 2: Up High. So that they will be "closer" to the water leak?
Engineer 1: If we put them in the floorboard...
Bean Counter: I told you that will cost too much.
All 3: Then they will be as far away from the water as possible.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts