Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the front end of my side skirts on both sides of my 2010 are coming off - one side more so than the other. I think the source of the issue is rust growth.

I'm trying to figure out an approach to cleaning this up before winter hits. How are these skirts held on? I see a series of screws along the bottom edge, and is it one strip of mounting tape along the top?

I'm thinking of taking it off completely in order to sand/paint the area and re-mount the skirt. Is there a special mounting tape needed for this ?

Your input is much appreciated!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444690816.502859.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444690826.838180.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,493 Posts
I would say they are held on with the Gray super 3M double sided tape. Typically that is how a lot of moldings are held on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking of taking the skirt off, grinding the rust, and spraying with black rocker guard.....

Will the lip stick to rocker guard or does it require real paint ??

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm thinking of taking the skirt off, grinding the rust, and spraying with black rocker guard..... Will the lip stick to rocker guard or does it require real paint ?? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 3M tape moulding sticks to lots of surfaces. But it depends how textured rocker guard is. The 3M moulding tape really likes smooth surfaces.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 3M tape moulding sticks to lots of surfaces. But it depends how textured rocker guard is. The 3M moulding tape really likes smooth surfaces.

That's what I was thinking as well... Anyone know if they make a non textured rocker guard?

I figure it would be a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to use a rocker guard instead of paint since its a covered area anyway.

·
Registered
337 Posts
That's what I was thinking as well... Anyone know if they make a non textured rocker guard? I figure it would be a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to use a rocker guard instead of paint since its a covered area anyway. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd just use the rocker guard and maybe use a little extra 3M tape.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the skirt off today and omg lol.

I put it right back together and heading over to VW - hoping they'll warranty it. I've had good luck in the past with rust warranty. Fingers crossed.

My only worry is I'm not sure if this vehicle came with the side skirts, or was it an add on that the previous owner did? It's a VW skirt (it had the VW logo and part number on the inner side). I just don't want them coming back blaming it on the side skirt if it wasn't an option at original sale.

Other side is fine

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same problem with loose drivers side skirt. Have not removed yet. How did you pull it off, gentle persuasion?

Mine is also 2010 TDI, living in Alberta. Same Skirts. Maybe part of Sports Package?

Thinking mudflaps may help prevent this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting you have the same issue! I brought it to VW, fingers crossed they will cover it under warranty.

There are about 8 or so screws on the bottom of the skirt, the top is held by 3m sticky tape. A bit of tugging, and a utility knife in between as your pulling will do the trick

·
Registered
899 Posts
10 yr perferration warranty. This is an obvious example if rust that has developed from beneath the molding. It seems all Canadian cars have the problem for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you for the advice, I will let you know what I find when I take the skirts off.

Should have no problem with warranty. Please keep us informed.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My personal opinion has always been molding over paint is a weakness for rust protection as it traps salt and moisture. I feel for folks in parts of North America that travel where salt is used. Here in Oregon it is illegal for use on roads. We (meaning the state) use "green" products that are also not corrosive. Not a hard core "green" person, but this I am all for.

While these rocker panels look amazing, I would personally worry this problem would however return someday due to them harboring corrosive materials.

I spend a considerable amount of time camping along the coast, what always amazes me is how salt can destroy with minimal contact and in minimal time. Not being able to wash this area frequently also likely contributes to this. We wash our travel trailer with every trip we take, if we miss a wash we get surface rust within just a few weeks. It is a constant battle.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree, when I get to taking mine off, they are staying off. I might paint the whole lower body panels black. Like this below from UT Nuke (found in White Touareg thread). Looks clean.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Very nice.

·
Super Moderator
9,493 Posts
I agree, when I get to taking mine off, they are staying off. I might paint the whole lower body panels black. Like this below from UT Nuke (found in White Touareg thread). Looks clean.
That is how they came, lowers black. Mine is the same way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine looks like this. 2010 V6 TDI sport package. Looks too chunky. Black bottom looks better.

I personally love the white bottoms, definitely looks sportier.

I also thought of not putting the skirts back on if I were to paint the rockers - from up close it didn't look much different, but from a few meters and a side shot that thought changed pretty fast. The skirts just give it that extra touch

1 - 20 of 24 Posts