Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlucky having a rust on my 2011 Tuareg tailgate on the mid bottom edge.

Got estimates from few of body shops all gave between $500 - $1000 with only paint the half tailgate but the rust will come back anyways. We are planning to keep my Tuareg in next 5 years at least which means we will spend at least $4000.00 or more so dose anyone knows roughly the cost to replace a new tailgate? or its worth it to do?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
My advice is take it to dealer and try to warranty it. VW (last time I checked) had a 12 year paint corrosion warranty...at one time I think it was unlimited mileage too. Dealer would know and document with pictures and submit to VWOFA. Some folks have purchased a used car 11 years old that had oxidized / pealing paint and VW turned around and repainted the vehicle. Naturally this isn't done at a VW dealer, but a body shop.

Look into it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
yep my rear hatch is being replaced next week under rust warranty

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any ideas if the 12 year paint warranty applies to earlier years? I have a 2005 with a few spots of rust on the tailgate. I wonder if that would be covered, also...

·
Registered
676 Posts
On other forums that feature lesser cars I've seen people , mostly from the rust belt in NA, crying about rust on their cars. I've even seen pictures of things like the head of a suspension bolt rusted right off.i

So, here in Australia the area where they salt the road is very small but we do drive on the salt water beaches and use products to stop the rust.

It doesn't seem to be something they do in the Americas.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
730 Posts
Any ideas if the 12 year paint warranty applies to earlier years? I have a 2005 with a few spots of rust on the tailgate. I wonder if that would be covered, also...
Maybe, my 2004 just had the rear hatch replaced under the rust warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts