Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Ok so my 2004 V8 is acting up again. I started it up this morning and it ran for a minute then shut off. I started back up and it ran for about a min maybe 40sec and shut off. Its got 1/2 tank of gas, oil is good, gas cap on just right not too tight, and boyfriend put fuel injector cleaner in it when it started acting up while he was driving it yesterday. He said what it was doing was he'd be driving down the road and it would just die down. he'd pull car to side and shut it off all the way, start going and it would do it again within probably a block or two. Last time about 6 months ago it was doing kinda the same thing but that was the fuel pumps and check engine light stayed on and it was taken to dealership, fixed, and has been running great til yesterday. Any ideas??

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
My fist thought was fuel system related. If it is the pumps, you should be under the VW warranty on those. If memory serves, warranty is 12 months from install.

Do you have access to a VCDS so that we can get a scan?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I'd say fuel pumps faulty or speed sensor is on the way.
Speed sensor is an easy fix on the V6, don't know about the v8.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I found out that the wires that are connected to the fuel pump we're corroded and therefore burned out the fuel pump? Where do you guys get your Volkswagen parts for cheap??? Cuz it's over $300 just for one fuel pump

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
He was pointing you at the same parts that VW uses, just with the manufacturer name (not the VW logo) on the part.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is this site legit??

ok so I found this website (screenshots attached) and it seems pretty legit all the way around, VDO parts, OEM parts, OE parts you name it! Its located here in the US in CT, and the prices aren't so bad either considering all this site seems to offer! What do you guys think??

'

Attachments

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Just to double check, have you asked the dealer about the pumps the dealer installed? Most VW dealer repairs have a one year part and labor warranty. It seems the new dealer pumps were put in about 6 months ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes but those particular pumps were ones I ordered from A1auto.com and when i brought them to the dealership to have them put in they said they were aftermarket parts of which they would not warranty, and also had to add $400 to my bill because they pumps only came as the white container part and not with ANY kind of hoses, clamps ect. to them! just the pump itself literally

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
That explains the warranty part.

Get the VDO pumps and get the VDO fuel filter assembly. Replace all three parts.

We have two problems that you need to be aware of.

One is that the fuel lines that are attached to the factory pumps and the fuel lines attached to the factory fuel filters get old. Often, when you replace any of them, the lines will split and leak on the old parts remaining in the tank. So, it is just easiest to replace both pumps and the fuel filter at the same time.

If you still have the old fuel filter assembly, it would be best to replace it with a new VDO part.

Second is that the aftermarket is filled with dodgy parts that fail quickly. That is why we are having you look for VDO parts. They should last a long time. Same stuff that VW uses at the factory / dealership.

You might want to look for a good Euro repair shop in your area.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I wonder why no one tried to hack these pumps and see what the real cause of the failure is. We might just repair them instead oh having to buy the whole package every time they fail.
I see a lot of threads about fuel pump failure but maybe the numbers are not that big.
On a second thought I even think that since the VDO parts are failing it might be a better idea to look for an alternative but I don't think there is any on the market.
I might get a used set of pumps and try to hack them and understand what is going on in there.
The pumps on my Treg are 135.000 km old and never been changed though.
I'm having a rich mixture issue since I bought it at 128.000km. I've read this might be due to a failing fuel sender.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes that is what i have just figured out as of last nights researching. There isn't one in my area tho and no one wants to work on my car either since its a touareg and they all hate working on them. its a good thing i have an awesome mechanic that know his **** (its just that he lives 120 miles away) and luckily he was able to come down to check it out. first he found that the wires that connect to the pump from underneath driver seat were corroded and so he fixed those but then figured out that the problem was the filter (the more expensive one) because apparently somehow the gas in my tank was literally black even tho i have only used 91 premium gas for over a year! Then he literally took the pumps themselves APART to test them (this is a guy who worked on my first vehicle about 5 years ago and sent me a picture of my chevy equinox's hood open and the entire engine taken out and sat ON THE GROUND NEXT TO IT LOL about gave me a heart attack, 2 days later that equinox ran better and smoother than when i bought it!) and i havent trusted anyone with my vehicles since!!! unless of coarse i have to. anyway sorry about that ramble, where was I ? oh ya so he then found that the pumps need to be replaced AGAIN but said that its not the dealerships fault (cuz the aftermarket pumps i had them put in) and I now need the pumps, the fuel filter and it should be just fine! hopefully hes right.....wish me luck!

P.s. I LOVE any and all input/advice from ya'll

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
( TRespect, I would bet a fair percentage of pump failures are due those plastic lines developing small cracks and leaking inside the gas tank. The lines do get changed with the new pump and filters. The inadequate fuel problem would look like pump failure, unless you specifically tested the pump outside the tank for output. )

hardestyalise28, It sounds like you are in good hands with the mechanic friend.

If the fuel filter wass just replaced, less then a year old, I agree that you can reuse it. If the filter was 10 years old, I would replace it. All those plastic lines you see attached. They get brittle with age. So, 10 year old plastic lines are not to be trusted, but a 1 year old filter / plastic line should be just fine.

You have two choices. Pay the high price for a VW pump with the warranty or pay less for the VDO pump. The VDO pump should be the same as the VW pump, but the dealer will not warranty it.

Don't go with a generic pump. They are a gamble. Some of them will last years, some will last months. Unless you can swap them out yourself, the labor makes the cheaper pumps a bad risk.

Links for your friend.

ifixit.com/Guide/Fixing+2004+2005+2006+2007+2008+2009+2010+Volkswagen+Touareg+Touareg+Gas+Leak/11326

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info. Ya he is pretty great! he has taken the pumps out and apart and tested them in my kitchen sink lol and one had a leak or something. im getting a new one but was skeptical of the website i go to cuz of the last pumps i got lasted a whole 8 months! hence my dilemma right now. will you take a look at these parts/site i plan to go with and tell me what you think??..........

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts