Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to ask this question in the other thread, but it got closed. Is it bad to run a car in place with the engine running? I live in Arizona, so it gets kind of hot when waiting outside someone's house for them to come out or picking someone up or whatever but I don't run my engine in place because I remember hearing somewhere that it is bad for it (especially with A/C on at the same time). Sorry for all the noob questions, this is my first car and I don't want to do anything stupid to damage it.

And, while we're on the topic of noob questions, is it true that you should always use the parking brake? I always do, even when I drive my parents cars...then they get upset when they have no clue why the car won't move when in drive lol.

·
Registered
92 Posts
No problem leaving engine running, although in some places it is illegal to leave a vehicle unattended with (a) keys in it (b) engine running - vehicle might get stolen. Park brake is just that, apply it when parking, doesn't cost any extra and won't prematurely age the vehicle. Particularly important when parking on slope/hill to place vehicle in neutral with foot on brake, apply park brake, remove foot from brake (allowing park brake to take weight of vehicle) then place selector into Park. To do otherwise may cause the transmission to 'lock' and unable to be moved from park position.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Particularly important when parking on slope/hill to place vehicle in neutral with foot on brake, apply park brake, remove foot from brake (allowing park brake to take weight of vehicle) then place selector into Park. To do otherwise may cause the transmission to 'lock' and unable to be moved from park position.
In general, agree. But how critical is this for T-regs, especially newer models with all the smart assists?:confused2: Has anybody ever experienced transmission lock with T-reg this way?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Older cars used the emergency brake to adjust the brakes. As the brakes wore the emergency bake aplication adjusted the slack. Four wheel disc brakes changed all that.

·
Banned
2,818 Posts
I have hillhold on the tranny
I can stand still, nose uphill,tranny in drive and no brakes applied and the car will not move.
Every touareg (automatic) has this feature. It is just not activated.
Vagcom is the answer to that

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Instead of running the car, you can turn the car off, and press the REST button on the HVAC unit. This will keep the unit running for 30 minutes without you or your key in the car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, it only works during the winter to keep the car warm using residual heat from the engine. Besides, living in AZ, sometimes max A/C isn't enough to keep you cool.

·
Administrator
4,300 Posts
REST will work in the summer. It won't run the compressor, but will vent outside air in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts