Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried looking for a thread that would match the issue I am observing, but no luck. It is not a hesitation in acceleration, but rather weird behavior of the transmission in the morning, when the car is cold. When cold (in the morning) and shifting up (for example, from 3 to 4), rpms drop (numbers are just an example) from 2000 to 1500, then go up to 1700 and then back down to 1400 and then up to 1600 and then stabilize and go up in a normal fashion. This behavior does result in a little bit of shudder when accelerating, obviously.

When the engine is warm, the behavior is mostly gone.

I am running Malone tune stage II right now. I flashed the engine back to stock and the behavior is not there. I flash back to modded software and the issue comes back.

Seems like a bad tune?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What did Malone have to say about this?
Nothing so far, I did let them know but have not received any feedback to date. It does seem like everything points to the tune itself, but wanted to know if anybody has seen similar behavior on similar engine / tune

·
Registered
95 Posts
Did you do the gear display mod? Can you see if it is switching back and forth between gears?

Extra power and torque could be causing the transmission to shift sooner but then not be able to support the higher gear.

Is this happening in Drive or Sport mode?

I just bought a 16 and will be doing the Malone stage 2 tune also.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01GD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have my the gear display mod. The gear holds, and it does not waffle between higher and lower gears, i.e., the next selected gear stays in place. I see that happen both in D and S modes alike, but mostly only on cold engine.

Extra power and torque could be causing the transmission to shift sooner but then not be able to support the higher gear.
- this might be the reason why I do not see it when I take the tune off and the engine is back to stock but no changes are made to TCU. I am just wondering why I started see that happen only right now that night temperatures are above freezing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A little shy of 14k at this time. I bought it with 10k on it about 4.5 months ago.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Bought mine 2 months ago with 45k miles. Will be changing the transmission fluid at 50k. Well all fluids.

But being less than 15k on yours I can’t imagine the fluid could be bad yet.

When new the wife’s Tiguan would “lug” at 40 mph due to it up shifting to 5th too soon. VW did it to get better gas mileage. Then there was a TSB to change the shift points which fixed the lugging.

I keep thinking the added torque is messing with the shift points but you said it wasn’t changing gear.

Shouldn’t be a bad torque converter since it doesn’t do it on stock tune.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the feedback. It seems like I just need to watch it over the next few days and if it continues as it is, perhaps go to Tune Level 1 if Malone makes it work somehow and see if that takes the problem away.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Interesting. I have a 2015 TDI with Malone stage 2, emissions delete, and pre-fix TCM and have not had a single issue with shifting.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will try to make a video recording of the initial morning run to show the behavior. I only noticed it by accident myself ...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a thought, you could reset the throttle to see if that makes a difference. That is a 30 second experiment.
It seems that @Troystg gets the main prize on this one. A cold reset today in the morning and it seems all is back to normal. Now I am going to be baffled as to what caused the issue in the first place. After the tune was done, I did the throttle reset as instructed and all was fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sooo ... all was very good in the morning and behaving as expected. The car was stopped for ~6 hrs at work, and the issue is back. Same behavior, no change.

I also noticed for the very first time when I pulled into the garage that the exhaust had metal cracking sounds, likely due to heat. It might be that the air temperature is just high today, but I have never heard the metal expansion / compression sounds before. Is that normal?

I'm sorry for all the lame questions but trying to understand what changed between then and now ...

·
Registered
95 Posts
If resetting the throttle changed it in any way then it is how the car is adapting to your driving. The added power of the tune magnifies throttle adjustments because the throttle moves less. Small variations in throttle pressure have larger results with the tune. So a couple hundred RPMs could be the weight of your foot on the throttle.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01GD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fair point ... the question is what to do with it? I do drive light on the pedal, especially since there is more than enough power to push the car around without revving up unnecessarily.

1 - 20 of 212 Posts