Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
NYFAIM - What's it mean?
531 Posts
Ross-Tech charges any buyer of a pre-owned/used cable a $99 USD registration fee to gain access to SW updates and support. Check their website for the details.

Quoted direct from the Ross-Tech website -

This interface acts as a "dongle" for VAG-COM, so the software should be fully functional on any PC you use with the HEX-USB+CAN. However, product support is provided only to the original purchaser. If you buy a second-hand HEX-USB+CAN from someone and want support, you'll still need to pay $99 to register.

I've always wondered why folks reselling R-T cables don't factor that $99 USD registration fee into their asking price?

Comparatively, a new, properly licensed HEX-USB+CAN cable can be purchased direct from R-T for $349 USD.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Ross-Tech charges any buyer of a pre-owned/used cable a $99 USD registration fee to gain access to SW updates and support. Check their website for the details.

Quoted direct from the Ross-Tech website -

This interface acts as a "dongle" for VAG-COM, so the software should be fully functional on any PC you use with the HEX-USB+CAN. However, product support is provided only to the original purchaser. If you buy a second-hand HEX-USB+CAN from someone and want support, you'll still need to pay $99 to register.

I've always wondered why folks reselling R-T cables don't factor that $99 USD registration fee into their asking price?

Comparatively, a new, properly licensed HEX-USB+CAN cable can be purchased direct from R-T for $349 USD.

Software download is free and so are updates, its the registration and support that the $99 buys you.

TonyB

·
Registered
499 Posts
Software download is free and so are updates, its the registration and support that the $99 buys you.

TonyB
X2

I'm on my second RT interface and have never needed the registration and support that costs $99 extra.

·
NYFAIM - What's it mean?
531 Posts
So one buys the used R-T interface cable for $300 and then pays the $99 registration fee to R-T for full support for total of $399?

Why would someone do that when the new interface cable can be purchased direct from R-T for $349 and includes SW, updates and support?

My point in all this is a used R-T interface cable priced at $300 is overpriced by at least $50. Market price for used R-T interface cables should be priced to account for the $99 registration fee - otherwise just buy a new cable.

Frankly, I'm surprised that R-T hasn't written 'lockout code' into the dongle firmware preventing a used interface cable from accessing the SW until it is registered or re-registered.

I see this situation occur frequently with regard to folks selling used R-T interface cables in this forum an many other online marketplaces. Causes me to scratch my head wondering why anyone would ever by the used cable?

I guess this is a pure example of the 'free market' at work?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
The $99 fee is just for support and in no way affects the cable, updates, and download of codes (as stated above). I paid $450 in Canada when I lived there. If new is $349 now and the OP is selling it cheaper....money is money saved. Quit bitching and buy new if that's the case.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Bought my first Ross Tech cable 15 years ago, updated it maybe 8 or 10 years ago. Best investments I ever made with regard to my VAG tools...used their application on close to a dozen Audis and VWs over the years (all my own).

If you own a Touareg, you need VCDS and a genuine Ross Tech cable. It will save you millions and make you taller and better looking.

Just buy the damn thing! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts