Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just got my 2016 Treg Lux about a month ago and I am loving it. I'm ready to start adding some things to it. I've already got it tinted, and now the next item up is nice roof rack setup. I've been reading various threads on this forum and some other sites and I like the reviews on the Thule Aeroblades. However, I wanted to put this thread out there to get some feedback.

I'm in a toss up between the Thule Aeroblade 53" bars with the 450R feet and the Thule AeroBlade Edge with the Flush Mounts. I like the idea/clean look of the Edge being flush, but I understand that is going to reduce the amount of space I have to load on the rack. To give some background I plan to get one of the Thule luggage boxes for trips, most likely will get a kayak and/or a SUP. Will the Edge limit my space too much for what I want to throw up there? Should I go ahead with the 53" in case I want to load 2 kayaks?

I've never had a vehicle with a roof rack so I'm looking for any good advice/thoughts. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi All,

I just got my 2016 Treg Lux about a month ago and I am loving it. I'm ready to start adding some things to it. I've already got it tinted, and now the next item up is nice roof rack setup. I've been reading various threads on this forum and some other sites and I like the reviews on the Thule Aeroblades. However, I wanted to put this thread out there to get some feedback.

I'm in a toss up between the Thule Aeroblade 53" bars with the 450R feet and the Thule AeroBlade Edge with the Flush Mounts. I like the idea/clean look of the Edge being flush, but I understand that is going to reduce the amount of space I have to load on the rack. To give some background I plan to get one of the Thule luggage boxes for trips, most likely will get a kayak and/or a SUP. Will the Edge limit my space too much for what I want to throw up there? Should I go ahead with the 53" in case I want to load 2 kayaks?

I've never had a vehicle with a roof rack so I'm looking for any good advice/thoughts. Thank you in advance!
I am using Thule Square Bars, I have two Kayaks & Thule Hullavators for both of them.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I uset he Aeroblade with the 450 feet. I love the little extra space nda allows for the thule box and two bikes. It sits up a touch higher too, some have discussed the sunroof contacting the low profile feet, but I'm not sure. I know i hveaa p icture here somewhere, but I cant find it.

Reactions: Suzuki16

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I uset he Aeroblade with the 450 feet. I love the little extra space nda allows for the thule box and two bikes. It sits up a touch higher too, some have discussed the sunroof contacting the low profile feet, but I'm not sure. I know i hveaa p icture here somewhere, but I cant find it.
Are you saying that the 450 feet allow for clearance for the pano? I think that's what I've been reading in other threads as well. I'd love to see a photo of your setup. And thank you feedback.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Allow me to correct my prior post. I see what you are saying as I came across another thread where member icon posted a photo of his Aeroblade Edge and noted that you can only open the vent on the sunroof but not the full opening of the pano. Looks clean, but function comes into play.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm using the 53" Thule Aerobars and 450R feet. It's a nice setup. Would I prefer the look of the aeroblade edge? Sure! But I also wanted the ability to open the sunroof while the bars are installed.

Here are a couple pics:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the pics @philthyphil. Your setup looks great! I have a black Treg, so the photos and your feedback help a lot.
@VWBob, thank you for the feedback as well. I am looking at the factory cross bar Part Number: 7L0071151666 but I can't tell if those will fit my 2016. If so, that's quite a price savings at less than $130 for the setup. (Volkswagen Touareg (2007-2010). #7L0071151666: Base Carrier Bars - For vehicles with factory rails - Silver)

But some forum thread I was reading was saying the 2016 takes a different set of bars than the older Tregs since they are two different lengths on the front and rear. Part Number: 7P6071151A ; 7P6071151
(2016 Volkswagen Touareg. #7P6071151A: Base Carrier Bars - For vehicles with factory rails - Silver)

Looks like if I had an older Treg I could pick up the factory cross bars for about $130, but the ones for my 2016 are $300+. :crying: So for a little more I think the Aeroblades would be what I would choose, unless I am mistaken on those parts listed.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I purchased the Thule Aero Blade Edge, and once I tried them on my 2010, I realized it would be difficult to carry two mountain bikes side by side facing the same direction. Just not much rack space there.

I returned the Aero Blade Edge and got the 450R Feet w/48" bars. The "Fit Guide" said to go with 53" bars, but I felt they stuck out to far. The 48" bars are kind of a happy medium between the Aero Blade Edge, and the 53" Bars. This system has worked out great for me.

Reactions: Suzuki16

·
Registered
419 Posts
Suzuki16 my load bars are different sizes and marked for which one is in forward position but can't tell you if they fit 2106 model, my Treg is a 2011 which is same body style (T3).

Yes they are expensive, I got mine online from KefferVWparts.com for a fair price.

VW may have an accessory promo going on right now VW Accessory Rebates & Incentives | Volkswagen

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks i8abug. I'm definitely thinking if I go with the Aeroblades and won't do the Edge.

vwbob thanks for that link. I wonder if the offers can be combined with Keffer's lower price. Terms on the rebate say "Participating dealership, but I don't think Keffer qualifies since that offer isn't on their site.

However, the racks are only $281 vs. $365 on other VW sites. Even with the $27 shipping still only comes out to $309, which is lower than going through local dealer at $365 and adding tax.
2016 Volkswagen Touareg. #7P6071151A: Base Carrier Bars - For vehicles with factory rails - Silver

So I guess I need to determine if the Aeroblades are worth an additional $100 or if I should save some money and stick with the VW Rack. Also, a factor is the base racks have as similar flush mount as the edge. So space becomes a limiting factor. Decisions...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Using OEM crossbars with a Thule fork mount bike rack.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Nice! For your guys with the OEM crossbars, any issues with noise? Do you leave them on all of the time? I like the aero dynamic look of the aeroblades, but also not sure if it makes a whole heck of a lot of difference since they're just bars.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hey Suzuki, did you get my pm?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have had the OEM crossbars on the Touareg for about a month now with the bike holder mounted to them and noise is very minimal, we recently were on Interstate cruising about 75mph without a bike in the rack and had pretty good cross winds which did create some noise from the roof set up but still not bad.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts