Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
2013 tdi. Thanks for that video. really beautiful and sure makes me want to do a ride on alcan hwy with my Touareg now.
Note that these trips are on the Dempster & Dalton hwy with off-road & unnpaved treks. In winter you will have ice roads and ice bridges across places like Mackenzie river crossings. For the Dempster plan on replacing your windshield - have not heard of anyone returning unscathed. The Dalton gets rough but is not as bad.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Note that these trips are on the Dempster & Dalton hwy with off-road & unnpaved treks. In winter you will have ice roads and ice bridges across places like Mackenzie river crossings. For the Dempster plan on replacing your windshield - have not heard of anyone returning unscathed. The Dalton gets rough but is not as bad.
Wow what the heck am I missing here?

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,442 Posts
Every once in a while, I can find a use for the factory roof bars.

I don't like roof baskets. I don't find a roof box useful. Need a ladder to access them. Vehicle will not go thru a lot of low clearance areas. Can't wash the car except hand wash. Etc and etc.

Perhaps if I was going on Safari or an Expedition... but for normal use my answer is No.

Would rather put a box or a trailer on the hitch, than to use the roof.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Maybe that it is a response to the quoted comment made by Viking Lady about riding on ALCAN hwy with their Touareg
Referenced in earlier posts.
I'm trying to make a connection between driving on a highway and there being a 100% requirement of replacing one's windshield

Every once in a while, I can find a use for the factory roof bars.

I don't like roof baskets. I don't find a roof box useful. Need a ladder to access them. Vehicle will not go thru a lot of low clearance areas. Can't wash the car except hand wash. Etc and etc.

Perhaps if I was going on Safari or an Expedition... but for normal use my answer is No.

Would rather put a box or a trailer on the hitch, than to use the roof.
I agree. The only time I like putting things on the roof is when I have something else in the receiver. Putting things on the roof creates a ton of noise and turbulence and really hits MPG

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, here we are months after I started this thread. And pondering expands…..
just ordered some Malone AirFlow2 crossbars to attach to my factory rails.
why? Because I may have a couple passengers on my next adventure in a few months and they will be sitting in the back seat - which makes my cargo area a lot smaller.
I do not have a trailer hitch on my Touareg and cost of one destroyed that option.

so with crossbars ordered, I am now set to pondering “part 2” which will either be a cargo box or a cargo bag to go on top of the crossbars. VW has an “accessory“ called the Urban Loader which seems good since it has hard top and bottom and expands vertically to accommodate needs from10-17 cubic ft. Does anyone have one of these?
Someone pointed out that cargo “bags” are wider while cargo “boxes” are about 24 inches wide. Dont know what size suitcases will be fitting in these - seems like one is supposed to just use them instead of suitcases or something.
With back seat in use for people I will barely be fitting my full size spare in whats left of the cargo area. So suitcases? Duffle bags? Dog crate (Empty since dog has a car seat)?

Anyone care to share their opinions on, and uses of, cargo boxes vs cargo bags?

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Get a box over a bag. More aerodynamic. Will impact mpg and handling less.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Hi volkswagens for life

What size suitcases fit in your carfo box? And how many can fit in it?
I learned years ago to avoid putting stuff on the roof at all costs. Kills power, mpg and handling. I prefer a hitch receiver cargo carrier with weatherproof bag instead.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I learned years ago to avoid putting stuff on the roof at all costs. Kills power, mpg and handling. I prefer a hitch receiver cargo carrier with weatherproof bag instead.
No hitch so no hitch mount carriers are an option for me. I have to use roof. Guess instead of suitcases that probably duffle bags would fit rooftop carrier - right?

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Thule makes some great carriers that will hold lots of suitcases

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well, right or wrong, I just ordered the Thule Force XT L cargo box (16 cu ft) To put onto of the Malone AirFlow 2 crossbars. Should arrive by the end of May (2022). Oh and yes, I bought 2 of those door step thingymajigs too.
i hope I made a good choice. The Thule Force XT L is 74.75 inches long and 33 wide and a height of 18 inches. It is shorter and wider than the Yakima Sky Box 12 and has 4 additional cu ft for cargo. And it was on sale at E Trailers for darn near 1/2 price!
I wish I could have seen what cargo boxes look like on other Touaregs before buying this set up. I have searched and adv searched a bit and only seen a few photos for comparing and making my selection “easier”. The Forum Members did pretty much sway me to either Thule or Yakima brands at least and I am so glad for that.
I also learned that duffle bags need to replace my suitcases so they will fit in the box. Yeah - more shopping - hope for a good sale on these now too. And I hope I still have enough $ for gasoline etc for the actual adventuring.
Next adventure - yep another cross country trip later this summer.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Awesome! Nice looking box

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'm late to the party but if I was around on time, I would've strongly suggested a small trailer for your specific use\needs.
You're already driving a thirsty vehicle, and any roof boxes will beat you up even more at the pump... especially with the long hauls you do. Add to that the relatively low volume and inconvenience of accessing stuff on there, coupled with the low load capacity, and you've got a poor setup.

Hopefully I'm wrong on all accounts and your chosen route is satisfactory for your expectation.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, right or wrong, I just ordered the Thule Force XT L cargo box (16 cu ft) To put onto of the Malone AirFlow 2 crossbars. Next adventure - yep another cross country trip later this summer.
Congrats on the cargo box! We have found the door steps that hook to the door frame latch very helpful.
While very useful, remember to stay within the weight limits of the box, cross bars, and roof. This will change the Tregs CG and how it handles. Also, when loading be aware of the load inside the box shifting. Once we got lucky and noticed our roof rack had shifted, tightened the fasteners and all was again well. We now check our mounting prior to every trip.
Please post your route with travel updates! Always fun to follow forum posters adventures.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Furthermore, this was my favourite unit I was considering before my Jetta went to heaven.....
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Specifications:

• Bed Dimensions: Inside Approximately 70"L x 40"W X 20"H
  • G.V.W.R.: 1,998 lbs
  • Curb Weight: 365 lbs
  • Payload Capacity: 1,000 lbs
  • Tires: 12" Highway rated. 13" optional
  • Axle: Adjustable, rated for 2,000 lbs
  • Springs: Torsion sprung, rated for 2,000 lbs
  • Coupler: 2 inch Class 2, rated for 3,500 lbs with safety chains
  • Construction / Frame Material: Heavy-Duty, fully welded tubular steel
  • Top: Removable from the inside as a safety and security feature
  • Interior Bed Length: 70 inches
  • Interior Bed Height: 20 inches
  • Interior Bed Width: 40 inches
  • Flooring: Roto-Molded integrated into the trailer shell with removable drain plug
  • Light Guards: Heavy-duty, protective Roto-Molded encasing
  • Tie Downs: None
  • Finish: Integral Roto-Molded color. Black frame
  • Lighting: Complies with all MOT and DOT requirements
  • Wiring: Pre-wired, 4-wire flat connector
  • Bearing Size: 1 1/16" inner and 1 1/16" outer
  • Tiltable: Bed doesn't tilt
  • Tongue: Removable. Wiring harness fits inside the tongue for additional protection.
  • Hitch Height: 19" to top of the ball when secured to tow vehicle
  • Fenders: Round, bolt-on, Roto-Molded
  • Interior Volume: 32.5 cubic ft.
  • Overall size: 116 in. L x 62 in. W x 37 in. H
  • Shipping Weight: 535 lbs. with 12 inch wheels. 585 lbs. with 13 inch wheels.
  • Carton Size (crate dimensions in inches): 84Lx65Wx40H
  • Warranty: 1 Year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
Hard to beat for versatility.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thank you SaVAGeSoot and 2013 TDI and of course VW4Life for comments and suggestions etc. Good point on cargo shifting - I will make use of tie-downs inside the box to help prevent that. They do sell a few different styles which I will now consider Along with duffle bags.
Yes, I think those door step thingymajigs are going to work much better than trying to add a ladder to my cargo situation for getting to the box.
I agree that a trailer would have been nice, but my Touareg has no hitch - so full hitch install and a trailer would have taken all my gasoline money.
Valuable point on weights too.
with the box length of just under 75 inches, I am hopeful my Toll Road Reader thingy will not become hidden by any forward overhang of the box. It is on windshield just a few inches away from my rearview mirror. - Anyone with experience with this? Will it be ok there or do I need to move it? Where?
I am more confident now about my selections and the purchases and look forward to receiving the crossbars and cargo box. I realize my Touareg will be thirstier with this set up, and my long adventures, but I can just skip food for me to keep things in budget - right?! LOL

·
Registered
664 Posts
with the box length of just under 75 inches, I am hopeful my Toll Road Reader thingy will not become hidden by any forward overhang of the box.
Your roof should be longer than that.... don't have the box overhanging your windshield as all the airflow will hit the underside of it and cause you more grief... on top of blocking your view of traffic lights, etc.

That's one ugly son of a bitch
Take that back!
(functionality over looks when it comes to cargo trailers... but they do come in various colours) :p

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Your roof should be longer than that.... don't have the box overhanging your windshield as all the airflow will hit the underside of it and cause you more grief... on top of blocking your view of traffic lights, etc.

Take that back!
(functionality over looks when it comes to cargo trailers... but they do come in various colours) :p
Phew at least for that 😅 hehe

21 - 40 of 45 Posts