Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
448 Posts
Bars

Just move them to the back or you can take them off like a lot of people have.There are other options as well.You can get some thule or Yakima racks or go with the roof rails from Porsche.There is really not much you can do to stop the wind noise with the stock racks though.

· Registered
37 Posts
the roof rack is designed to have a leading edge. If you have the trailing edge installed in front it will cause roof noise.
I haven't fooled with mine much but don't have any noise coming from it.

I have pushed to the back for the spoiler effect. looks fine but beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
:wave:

· Registered
20 Posts
I got tired of the noise after trying all of the positions suggested in earlier forum posts. I removed the racks in September and have not looked back. A VW customer service rep called on another issue and I voiced concern about the noise from the roof rack. His response a few days later was to move them to the back position and insure they were installed in the proper orientation. Been there, done that - that's where I started... It is a shame that the noise is so annoying as the roof racks are well-made and look good. Perhaps if the interior noise level of the Treg wasn't so quiet, we wouldn't notice!

I have not tried someone's earlier suggestion to reverse the orientation of the racks...

· Registered
69 Posts
I played around with the positioning of the racks, partially just to see what you could do with them, partially because we developed a 60mph 'whistle', and partially because we brought home the Christmas tree and needles got in them everywhere...

After cleaning everything up, I inadvertently put the racks on backwards (slopy rack forward) and when on the freeway later found that, right around 80mph, there was a massive, eye-blurring vibration that shook the car (about as subtle as a helecopter landing on your roof)... apparently if installed backwards, the racks turn into a giant flute at speed. Swapped them around and mega-flute is gone, as is the whistle...

· Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the input - guess that will save me an experiment. Thought I had read an earlier post where someone had tried reversing them and it got rid of the noise...

Now, let me get this straight - you reversed them and made the Treg into a helicopter; put them back to the correct position and your whistle was gone????? Not sure I understand the physics behind that.

Actually, mine is not a whistle (I get that from the mirror :) ), it is more of a low level roar. As I told the VW rep, if the vehicle wasn't so quiet inside, who would notice! Besides, I do like the look of the vehicle without the racks, so no big loss.

· Registered
99 Posts
I had a little wind noise whenI first got mine but I loosened them up and pushed them all the way to the back hard and it went away.

· Registered
69 Posts
WetLens said:
Now, let me get this straight - you reversed them and made the Treg into a helicopter; put them back to the correct position and your whistle was gone????? Not sure I understand the physics behind that.
Not a very scientific procedure. :writers_block: As far as I could tell, the whistle was coming from somewhere beyond the aft edge of the sunroof, or from one of the tops of the passenger doors (hard to tell with these kinds of noises). Seemed to change a bit with 'cabin pressure', which vent was being used, etc. Quite possibly not related to the racks at all... We don't use the right rear door often, so that might have been the culprit. Might have been something in the rack channel itself as they were all gunked up... car was filthy when we bought it. At any rate somewhere over the course of a few days' worth of getting in and out and shuffling the racks around, the whistle went away. The helecopter thing was spooky though... thought a wheel was coming off.

· Registered
14 Posts
I replaced the factory racks with a Thule system for bikes or whatever. Great for hauling but it makes a lot of noise. You can't open the sunroof while driving it is so noisy.. The good news. Thule makes a nice quick release mount that takes less than 30 seconds to remove the whole rack assembly, easily installed with no tools. It does take two people to lift it off in one piece. Reistallation takes about a minute. Good and solid.

· Registered
14 Posts
Better yet, just get rid of them and get a more useable versatile rack like Yakima or Thule. :)
i agree. i have used both, and i think my thule brackets that utilize the rails, aren't quite as tall as the factory ones. thus, giving me the little room needed to put it in the garage with a rooftop box (thule ascent 1100 i believe). the quick connect is great, and they are also MUCH more versatile.

dj dubs

· Super Moderator
9,690 Posts
I would. But when I sell the truck it would be better to have them. Don't want them in my apt and everything I leave at my moms house disappears!
I gave the ones on my 04 away to a friend that wanted to fix his on his 05. The ones from my 10 went on my 04 when I got rid of it. Not a fan of factory racks, but like the track system for use with my Yakima rack. Although right now I'm using my hitch mount rack to carry my bikes around. My mtn bike is a Cannondale with a Lefty fork. So I need a stand up mount on the rack and it is too hard to lift that bike on the roof.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.