Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know tires are a very common thread topic, and trust me, I've done tons of reading, but the information I seek is a little different from what those threads touch upon.

I'm just about ready (overdue, actually) to buy a new set of tires and am in quite the dilemma. I just can't seem to make a decision on which tires to buy.

I'm currently on Michelin Latitude Tour HPs, which have been great, but I want an AT tire that will be great in the snow and suitable for trails and a bit of off roading, but I still require decent road manners (noise, not such a big deal). I like to take big turns fast, this is what I'm most worried about going with this type of tire.

At this point, there are two tires that I'm considering. The Nitto Terra Grappler in a 255/55/18, and the BFG All Terrain in a 265/65/18.

Any first hand opinions/experience on the road handling aspect of these tires? How huge of a difference will I notice if I go with the taller sidewall of the BFG?

Thanks for the help.

Brad

·
Registered
173 Posts
I can't speak for the two tire brands you selected but I have a taller than OEM, 265-60 Bridgestone Duellers Revo ATs and they grip far better on road than my previous Yokohoma All seasons. I can carve through the mountain roads much better than before. It's like my tires made the steering box heavier as it is more responsive. Tread pattern will have more to do with on road performance than the slight gain in sidewall height you are potentially looking at

·
Registered
591 Posts
I am running the BFG 265/70/17's and unless you are on a race track, I dont think there is much difference on the road. I have often thought that there is a little understeer which has not bothered me.

I do dial up the suspension to Auto when in the mountains or on a curvy road but I have never pushed it hard enough to need Sport.

Rick

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't have experience with the two you are looking at on the Treg, but here's my A/T experience: I'm running Toyo Open Country A/Ts in the factory 255/55/r18 size and really like them. Previously, I was running Yokohama Geolandar H-T/S. Those were fine tires, but I wanted an A/T. So far, 3k miles on the Toyos. I will say they 'float' a bit more than the Yokohamas, especially in the comfort setting, so I keep it in auto. I have noticed a little less bite in the turns but nothing scary. The treg still performs very well on these tires. We have had quite a bit of rain here lately, and the wet traction of the Toyos is far superior to the Yokos.

I had BFG's on my previous vehicle, an Expedition, and liked them, but I thought they were over priced and they don't offer a mileage warranty. Several people I know have used the Nitto Terra Grapplers on pickups and love them. Someone here has used them, and they were in the running for my new set, but I found a price I couldn't refuse on the Toyos.

Also, several people have been commenting on the new Hankook Dynapro A/T-M RF10 tire. I think that comes in 265/65/r18. Might be worth a look.

Whatever your choice, make sure you get at least a load rating of 109.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm running BFG AT 265/65R18 and you wont notice anything when it comes normal driving.
One note as to the size. when you first get them they will rub ever so slightly when the steering wheel makes one revolution but this only lasted for 2k miles while they broke in.
I am extremely happy and have had this brand on many Trucks and SUV's and they have always got me home in the worst of conditions. (unless i was high centered)
Not to mention they make the Touareg look great.

My father bought the Nittos on his truck and has coMplained about them ever since. they ware FAST! and leave marks on the concrete driveway with every turn. If your looking for a cheaper tire look at hankook tires they have some good deals and they have a nice tread.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A Note on Air suspension:
I mentioned the rubbed I had to take the front mud flaps off which is only a few screws and its not bad. The Tires fit through the whole range of the suspension from loading level to Xtra height.
BFG's are designed for trophy trucks racing in the desert at 100 mph or more. They stick to the road well. Plus the 3ply sidewall makes em stronger than your average street tire. They tow better too.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Hankook Dynapro AT/M RF10's. Brilliant! Not noisey, great grip. I love 'em.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For anyone interested, I decided to go with the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 in a 265/60/18. They should arrive tomorrow and be installed this week. Add me to the list of clubT members on the Dynapro.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
For anyone interested, I decided to go with the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 in a 265/60/18. They should arrive tomorrow and be installed this week. Add me to the list of clubT members on the Dynapro.

Thanks for all the help!
Good luck with them! I think you'll be pretty pleased with the value.

Only question I still have is how well they'll do in snow.

·
Too Cool to Leave School
711 Posts
Only question I still have is how well they'll do in snow.
From what I've read on some of the other forums (T4R, ExPo, etc) they do great in snow as well... I'm hoping for a similar winter to last year so I can test mine... after I order them that is!

·
Registered
61 Posts
How would the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 tires compare to Nokian Hakkapeliitta R SUV tires? Also, why not 235 /60 size?

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Also, why not 235 /60 size?
If it's not a cost thing, then 265's will give you more footprint. So, that's more rubber on the road. With an A/T, 265's should deliver better traction, esp if you need to drop the pressures. 265 will also offer more traction benefit on and off road. IMO, 235 is a skinny tyre for a Treg.

Try this out. Any A/T tyre will be way better than a performance road tyre when off-road. But, the wrong A/T tyre selection is going to upset you on the road if you get it wrong. I ended up with the Dynapro (and it took me months to sort this process out) because it has also has great road tyre characteristics (has nice road manners and to date is still very quite). And IMO, that's what makes a good A/T tyre. The other variable is sidewall thickness. It's not easy to get it right 1st time up. So far, I feel I got it right.

·
Super Moderator
9,717 Posts
How would the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 tires compare to Nokian Hakkapeliitta R SUV tires? Also, why not 235 /60 size?
One is an AT tire and the other is a winter tire. The Nokians would wear pretty quickly if you ran them all your long. They are only mean for winter use.

·
Registered
61 Posts
So, this must mean the Nokian Hakka R tires would be better on ice and the dreaded "black ice" versus the Dynapros right? It would seem a good AT tire should be good in the snow, but you need the grippy rubber for ice.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ordered my tires Dynapros from Discount Tire Direct on Monday, they arrived Tuesday, and I had them installed today (wednesday). thumbs up to discount tire direct! I haven't driven 20 miles on them yet, but so far so good. I notice no negative effects on the road handling, and the ride is indeed improved.

Anyone looking for an AT tire, this is the one to buy. It's cheap, looks good, and drives nicely.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
So, this must mean the Nokian Hakka R tires would be better on ice and the dreaded "black ice" versus the Dynapros right? It would seem a good AT tire should be good in the snow, but you need the grippy rubber for ice.
We should count ourselves lucky down here we don't need to worry about summer/winter tyres. There's only one part of the country that gets snow. Usually, 4x4 is sufficient, but then the sign goes up. "chains required".

·
Registered
61 Posts
We should count ourselves lucky down here we don't need to worry about summer/winter tyres. There's only one part of the country that gets snow. Usually, 4x4 is sufficient, but then the sign goes up. "chains required".
Sometimes it is so cold here that car exhaust freezes on the pavement the chemicals they put down won't work. After a days and days of sub-zero weather ice forms on the road which looks dry but it's NOT it's a slick as ... whatever is really slick down under.

But we have snowmobiles to play with, so it all evens out. :D

Oh, and chains aren't allowed here because if they were all the roads would be pulverized every winter.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
I ordered my tires Dynapros from Discount Tire Direct on Monday, they arrived Tuesday, and I had them installed today (wednesday). thumbs up to discount tire direct! I haven't driven 20 miles on them yet, but so far so good. I notice no negative effects on the road handling, and the ride is indeed improved.

Anyone looking for an AT tire, this is the one to buy. It's cheap, looks good, and drives nicely.
Hankook Dynapro AT/M RF10 265/60/18 are fitted to mine. See if you notice these 2 benefits. Speedo runs true (GPS same as speedo) and you should get better mpg on account they are oversize on OEM specs. Also wanted to know if you got 5x tyres and not using the original as a spare. You'll need to be running a spare the same OD as the 4x fitted.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts