Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 Touareg is at the dealer right now. I had tires put on and a 4 wheel alignment. When I got the car back, the steering wheel was shaking at highway speeds. So I brought the car back and had them re balance the wheels, but that still didnt fix the steering wheel shake/vibration.

Went home and did some research and found the TSB that Im sure most people here are familiar with. I asked to see the results of the Roadforce on a printed sheet so I could have Michelin replace any tires out of spec.

The picture I am attaching is what they emailed me; a cell phone picture of the screen, and not an actual printout. I am not pleased with this since I asked for a detailed printout similar to an alignment sheet printout. What they gave me does not show the association between the tire/wheel and the results. It just shows 6 rows.

What's really concerning though, is that under Assembly Diameter, it says 26.7". The tire on my Touareg is a 255/55R18 which has a 29" total diameter. This makes me think that they didnt roadforce the car at all and that this picture was taken while the machine was balancing the wheels of some other car.

What do you guys think? I need to figure out how to go forward with this. I just want the car to have the same steering feel as it did when it was new (only has 20k miles now). I dont like feeling like the dealership is trying to pull a fast one on me.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Your tire shop did a lousy job. Sorry for your troubles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, its not an ideal situation. But I am looking for advice not sympathy. Am I justified in believing that the dealer told me they did a road force balance per the TSB, but actually did nothing?

If you click the picture, Assembly Diameter shows 26.7". The tire size on the Touareg is 29".

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
My advice. Show this to your dealer. Show them the shakes. Maybe they can fix it. Maybe they can't. Try a quality tire shop if you are not satisfied. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry if I wasn't clear. The car is at the dealer right now. They are the ones who (claimed to have) performed the roadforce balance and sent me this picture.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
You have a right to question it. It's all a matter of how you do it so you have a productive conversation and positive result.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I bought new tires for my 2014 on Tire Rack and brought them to the dealer for installation.

I did not pay for road force balancing.

I have no vibration whatsoever.

My point is, I wonder if the tech installing them is aware of proper procedure and the associated TSB for installing Touareg tires.

I going to comment on the picture of the Hunter machine because I'm not familiar enough. I do know they are great in some cases though - particularly out of spec tires.

·
Registered
827 Posts
If the dealer hasn't handled many Tregs there is a good chance the lugs were not torqued to the correct level. It does make a huge difference. I have a great Tire shop that installed my new tires ,and I had to tell them the torque setting is quite a bit higher than standard cars. They didn't believe me till they looked it up in the specs. I do not remember what the number is unfortunately,but this area has been discussed in the forums.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
While I own an older Treg that isn't prone to the SWS like the newer gen, I have been working on cars long enough to know to tighten lugs in a star pattern progressively (meaning loose to snug...to 60 foot pounds...to spec...which varies by year). Then there are additional procedures for your generation per tsb...
It sounds like you have an inexperienced tech who likely didn't install your wheels correctly, but tightened up each lug from loose to spec with an air gun (very bad, but becoming more common). This theory is further backed up by the cell phone picture (unprofessional) versus a real print out and the incorrect numbers (likely input wrong).

Go back and ask for the shop foreman to correct your issue bring up the history, your concerns over the tab being done, and the figures in the picture you have. They must see this stuff all the time, one tech didn't even tighten my oil drain plug and I lost all my oil on my garage floor. My foreman told me the tech didn't think it needed to be tightened more than hand tight???? Just an example of who works on your car...

·
Registered
242 Posts
I had to show Discount Tire their torque specs were wrong and showed them specifically what was in the owners manual. This is a location I use often and is very good. But on the newer T3 models they had the wrong info.

I've even had the dealer on my wife's Jetta forget to screw the oil cap on. They just screwed it one turn....idiots.

These days you have to check everyone's work unless it is someone you know and trust well.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I would call the Hunter sales rep for your area. Road Force has a big learning curve and he may know who is good. I used this procedure and I got a good Road Force job on my new Nokians. Still not happpy however because the data printer was not working and the tech had to take cell phone pictures w/o all the great data the system generates. Especially important, of course, are radial and lateral runouts. Our Discount has the latest Road Force but they wont't let me observe, so I ended up at a new VW dealership.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the same problem after my 10K service. It took them multiple attempts to balance, a new set of tires that didn't fix it, another few attempts to balance, and finally it stopped. I don't think they knew what they did differently so I haven't let them rotate the tires since then, that was 18k. I now need new tires and I am hoping they are able to do it right the first time. I didn't realize the problem had been identified, I haven't really kept up with the discussions. What should I be telling them? Disclaimer: I am a woman and they seem to think I couldn't possibly know what I am talking about when I make suggestions, so something I could show them would be great.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
We have an extremely experienced member in DC. Try pm'ing V10 and see whom he recommends there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts