Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I've a 2011 Touareg with North America system(radio and maps). It had RNS850 with this software version:

Most software version: VW

MU Software: 0170.

I wanted to change RNS850 to European version and found on the forum the latest European maps on this thread named "RNS850 2019 Maps 6.28.2 and FW 0824".
I downloaded the FW, maps and the activation.

I started to update the software with the given firmware(FW 0824) but the process failed at some point. It rebooted several times but suddenly after one reboot it didn't boot again. Now its just blank screen. I tried force reboot shortcut by pressing the 5 buttons at the same time but nothing happens. I think it's turn off and not starting up. Also red lights on night around buttons(car, setup, nav etc) are off.

These are the steps that I followed:

1 - Enabled Green Menu
2 - Set Active "user defined mode" on green menu
3 - Set Active "ignore region and variant" on green menu
4 - On green menu, on System -> Internal I set "internal region code" to "Rest of the world"
5 - On green mene, on Nav -> databaseupdate I change “Active HDD Nav DB” to "EU"
6 - Then on left slot I inserted SD card(16GB, FAT32 formated) with FW 0824 and on red menu I press the button to start updating.

Now it's not responding at all. I turned off the car several times but RNS still the same.

Does anyone know what happened? How can I fix this?

·
Super Moderator
1,629 Posts
I don't think the USA firmware likes your Euro map.

Every chance the unit is bricked. Can you re-load a USA map to the unit...or it just won't power up at all?

Also...PLEASE UPDATE YOUR PROFILE WITH YOUR LOCATION

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi!

Thanks for replying. I just updated my location, sorry for that.

First of all I want to bring RNS back to live. So I guess is better to load US firmware, maybe it's original version. Currently RNS is not starting but I'll try everything to start it.

I read here on forum that other members had US firmware version 0170(same as mine) and then updated to latest US version 0711. So first I'll try if RNS accepts it's original version 0170. Do you have any source where I can get it? And what's the best way to update it, via SD card or DVD?

PS: I took off HDD to check if it's dead or not and I think it is ok. I could read the partitions but I couldn't read the data because the partitions system type are QNX4. I load QNX kernel modules on a linux machine to mount the partitions but it gives me some errors and couldn't mount. The HDD may be encrypted or it is not a precise QNX filesystem, or the partition table is specialized. Maybe it is a proprietary QNX-like filesystem that Harmon/Becker developed.

·
Super Moderator
1,629 Posts
Hi Brian,

I have no resources for USA models. All my firmware/expertise is for Aus/NZ models (and some part of the Euro variant.

You may have to search deeper into ClubTouareg to find any resources that you will need, or maybe a US member can chime in with suggestions/assistance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I understand. Firmware for Aus/NZ is different from two other firmware types? For example until now, as far as I know, exist two types of firmware for RNS850:

1 - for US models (latest version number kind of 7xx)
2 - for Europe models (latest version number kind of 8xx).

So for Aus/NZ is there another type?

What I want to achieve is to convert my RNS850 from an US version to an European version.

·
Super Moderator
1,629 Posts
Brian,
to be more specific, my expertise and the software/firmware I have on hand is for the AUS/NZ RNS510.
Your desire to convert a USA RNS850 to a Euro spec unit will take some doing, and personally, I am not sure if you can, or even heard of anyone who has done this before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts