Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight while driving the screen went black. None of the buttons and knobs worked: power/volume knob, selector knob, or function keys.

The radio continued to function.

Navigation continued to function until I reached my destination. Then the compass function continued as normal in the multi function display.

All MFD functions work including Bluetooth phone connection.

Tried the 5 button reset and it seemed to have an effect on the CPU (whatever it's called) but not the RNS screen.

No warning light or fault codes of any type on the driver display.

I have done no modification or update to this unit. It is factory original.
Fuse or power problem? How to diagnose and fix? Cost to replace at the dealer?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
RNS850 Freeze

I have the same problem on the Touareg. But it has evolved into the unit switching on and off with all the presets gone. When the unit is off, it is totally dead. Seems that this may be a known problem with the RNS850 but VW are being cagey about recognising it. VW just say replace with a part cost of £4200!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Local dealer installed the new unit on Saturday. Works fine. Haven't noticed any differences in features or content. Volume knob seems a little longer/protrudes farther out.

USD 1000 for everything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
RNS850 Freeze

Had confirmation from a contact at VW in Wolfsburg that there is a known problem with these units. However the local VW subsidiaries do not want to admit the problem because of the expense of having to replace the units. His advice was to keep pressure on VW if you have a problem as they should actually do a recall and they know it. You should not have to pay anything to have the unit replaced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts