Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have been trying to really understand how to proceed... My nav system is dead. I can hear the disc skipping or clicking on engine startup. Too much $$ to replace at the Stealership, so I found a replacement through a used parts dealer (junkyard) specifying that it fits my car. They do not give me the actual letter at the end of the part number so I have no idea whether it is a direct replacement or not.
So, I am inclined to buy it and I know that I will have to have the dealer unlock it. But, will it need anything else to run? Do I need to buy a new map CD or a Firmware update SDi card? I just feel like mine was working fine and I have no idea what level firmware I had or how new the maps were (not that new, I did figure that out)
Thoughts? I am ready to buy the unit, but I am not completely clear on what will happen after instal.
Thanks everyone!

·
Learner
4,923 Posts
I would say if it is compatible then he dealer unlocks and adapts.
If the unit is from the same region, area, car then most likely it would have the maps, etc.
Worst case they load the maps.

Can they not give you a picture off the top of the unit?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say if it is compatible then he dealer unlocks and adapts.
If the unit is from the same region, area, car then most likely it would have the maps, etc.
Worst case they load the maps.

Can they not give you a picture off the top of the unit?
I don't think so - the wrecked car is in a major recycler. I don't think they would take the time.
So, I decided to order it today. Worse case, I can resell it (maybe someone here will need one).
Best case, I get my Nav back for 10 or 15% of what the dealership will charge.
I am hopeful it will be as easy as installing and clearing the security lock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts