Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So, I bought an Android aftermarket head unit for my Touareg, naively not knowing that it is not compatible with the Fiber Optic or MOST system in my TDI Lux. Well, since it's not compatible, that means most, if not all, aftermarket head units are pretty much not compatible as well. At least none that I'm aware of. However, I came across a product from AVIN called the "Audi MOST Fiber Optic Amp Interface"

It says it's only compatible with the 2G or 3G MMI, but whenever I read about the MOST for the RNS850 it appears to mention the 3G MMI as well.

I may just take a risk and go for it, unless someone out there is positive it won't work. This seems to be the only "chance" to be able to upgrade the head unit portion of the RNS850.

Don't get me wrong the unit is fine, but I came from a car that had Android Auto/Apple Car Play and I really want that feature back, so I'm pretty dedicated to finding a solution.

The head unit I purchased was the newest Joying Touareg head unit, if anyone is interested in that.

I'm unable to post links yet so please google search the Interface and let me know.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
488 Posts
The rns850 is 99% identical to Audi’s mmi3g.

·
Learner
4,702 Posts
Let us know how you go. Getting android and apply play would be nice

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let us know how you go. Getting android and apply play would be nice

I plan on it! I don't have the technical know-how to install an aftermarket head unit myself so I'm at the mercy of the appointment I can get scheduled. I'll report back either way, but hopefully with good news!

·
Learner
4,702 Posts
Check to ensure what all the interface supports and what it doesn’t.
In some cases apparently you lose functionality like fader, balance, etc
Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay,

Here's the part that I ordered: https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic-amp-interface-for-audi-a6-q7-a8-a6l-a8l-mmi.html I ordered the version 2 3G MMI.

The head unit I already have is: https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-android-8-1-0-vw-touareg-car-entertainment-system-4gb-32gb-support-zlink.html

I also purchased an aftermarket Reverse camera to work with the new head unit here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N2GBK5P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fingers crossed this all works. Bear with me on time and I'll update as I have more information.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check to ensure what all the interface supports and what it doesn’t.
In some cases apparently you lose functionality like fader, balance, etc
Good luck
The description on the AVIN website says that you’ll lose the ability to adjust balance from front to back due to it being a stereo analog. But can still do balance left to right. All speakers will still get audio according to the description.

This is not a bad trade off to me, but may be a deal breaker for some.

·
Learner
4,702 Posts
So you lose steering wheel and fader functionality as well.
You migh want to check on these two issues and confirm.
There are other interfaces that work better.
Personally I wouldn’t want to lose any functionality.
If the unit is designed and programmed well it should all work

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you lose steering wheel and fader functionality as well.
You migh want to check on these two issues and confirm.
There are other interfaces that work better.
Personally I wouldn’t want to lose any functionality.
If the unit is designed and programmed well it should all work

No, the Canbus included with the aftermarket head unit keeps all of the steering wheel functionality: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkw_QmW_Ng[/ame]

You only lose fader functionality with the analog to fiber conversion of the AVIN adapter. I don't know another option available without replacing the amp and rewiring the vehicle, no small feat. All speakers will get equal sound output from the amp as it normally would, the quote from AVIN's website about the matter:

"The AVIN MOST-AD Fiber Optic Amp Interface allows the Audi factory amplifier, the output from all speakers including subwoofer, and premium sound quality to be retained when installing ANY aftermarket radio. This makes for a nice clean easy install. "

Frequently asked questions:
Q. Can I return this for a refund if I do not like it?
A: NO. We warranty the product for one year. If there are any problems with it, we will replace it with a new one for you.
Q. Why are there only TWO RCA inputs?
A: It only supports Stereo input from your front Left and front Right RCA audio output.
Q. If it is only using TWO RCA audio cable how will get sound from all of my speakers?
A: The MOST interface will convert the TWO RCA audio signal into a fiber optic signal your factory amplifier can understand. Your Harmon Kardon amplifier will distribute sound to all of your speakers including your subwoofer.
Q. Can I control fade and balance after this is installed?
A: You can control only LEFT RIGHT balance since it is only using those two RCA audio cables. No fading from front to back.
Q. Does this support steering wheel button controls?
A: This does not add or remove steering wheel button control. It only has one function and that is to convert RCA audio into a fiber optic signal the factory amplifier can understand.

·
Learner
4,702 Posts
Fader in the Touareg isnt the best anyway- my opinion.
So not a deal breaker. Good to know wherls functions remain as is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fader in the Touareg isnt the best anyway- my opinion.
So not a deal breaker. Good to know wherls functions remain as is.

I 100% agree with you btw. If I lose steering wheel control it will be a deal breaker. I don't want to lose functionality I want to gain it. Like you said fader is not a big deal to me as long as all speakers get power. But Steering wheel functionality is not negotiable. :)

·
Learner
4,702 Posts
Once you install it would be good to run a scan and see what comes up.
Also, wondering if green screen menu and associated functionality will work...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Watching this with interest. The android hu I had in my CC Lux was identical in specs except it had a 10 inch screen. Sounded way better than the rns510. I lost only a couple of steering wheel functions but kept all mfd info such as mpg etc. The bluetooth was even decent. I have been contemplating this unit for my 2016 Lux but the rvc not compatible issue has stopped me. For my CC I bought a rgb to pal converter box that plugs inline with the rvc harness and used the factory camera on my CC with no issues so I don't know why this can't be done for this hu and when I emailed joying about it I got the same not compatible answer that's in their faq section. Maybe they don't make or are on the outs with the maker of this box lol. BTW all measurement units on screen will be in celsius and kpi.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Watching this with interest. The android hu I had in my CC Lux was identical in specs except it had a 10 inch screen. Sounded way better than the rns510. I lost only a couple of steering wheel functions but kept all mfd info such as mpg etc. The bluetooth was even decent. I have been contemplating this unit for my 2016 Lux but the rvc not compatible issue has stopped me. For my CC I bought a rgb to pal converter box that plugs inline with the rvc harness and used the factory camera on my CC with no issues so I don't know why this can't be done for this hu and when I emailed joying about it I got the same not compatible answer that's in their faq section. Maybe they don't make or are on the outs with the maker of this box lol. BTW all measurement units on screen will be in celsius and kpi.

The reverse BU camera on my Touareg is not very good, the camera itself is not the best of quality and the angle at which it's installed does not give a very good FOV. It's better than nothing, but I bought that aftermarket camera to replace the original versus trying to make the original work. If you do like your original, or don't want the hassle of trying to swap it out, this cable here might do the trick: https://avinusa.com/factory-backup-camera-adapter-mercedes-vw-audi-porsche-bmw.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
Actually I do want to keep the oem camera but the signal has be converted to get it to work with the android hu. Joying says it isn't possible but I bought a decoder box that plugged right in and allowed me to keep the oem camera on my CC. In the end if I buy this new Touareg unit I may have to get this cable. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One part I'm a little confused about with this MOST converter is where in the chain does this need to connect?

According to AVIN this goes behind the aftermarket head unit in the dash. What's confusing about that though, is the red connector piece that connects to the stock head unit of the RNS850 I think is a proprietary plug for the head unit portion that carriers the converted signal from the CD changer in the glove box. AVIN sells a 5m cable that can bypass the CD player, but AVIN does not say that that is a necessary item to purchase, just something if you want it bypassed.

Anyone familiar with the RNS850/MMI 3G can shed some light on this? Here's a picture of the 3 plugs that are behind the head unit in the dash for reference. The Red plug is the one that connects to the head unit. The blue and gold should be for Hazard Lights & Passenger Airbag notification. Anyone know if the Hazards/Passenger Airbag are sourced/powered through the RNS850 or are they separate (I would assume separate but want to be sure).

Here's the installation notice AVIN provided after I purchased, hopefully this answers some questions of the more technically minded here. I do wonder though if this is a generic guide for all of their MOST interfaces, regardless of vehicle make/radio you're purchasing this for:

MOST Fiber Optic Interface Connection

Click the link below to download the DIY MOST interface connection guide
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5csZBhSUqg2eGJEbU1oS3Vfd2M/view?usp=sharing

Check the printed label on the MOST interface and confirm it is the correct version for your car and model year.

Note: If there are any cd/DVD changer that fiber optic connection must stay connected if not there will be no sound.

Please read why not breaking the fiber optic signal is very important in the link below. If the fiber optic signal is broken anywhere in the loop you will have NO sound.

https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic-bypass-loop-adapter-plug-for-mercedes-bmw-porsche-audi-vw.html

If your MOST interface only has the YELLOW and BLACK wire you can ignore the instruction below regarding the RED wire.

The MOST interface would be installed in the dashboard behind the aftermarket head unit.

• The YELLOW wire would be wiretapped and connected to 12V switched wire like that of the ACC from your main cable harness
  • The RED wire would be wiretapped and connected to the 12V switched wire like that of the ACC also.
  • The BLACK wire is tapped to ground.
  • RED RCA = Right Audio Channel
  • WHITE RCA = LEFT Audio Channel
The FRONT LEFT and FRONT RIGHT RCA output from your aftermarket head unit would be connected to the MOST interface’s RED and WHITE RCA. It is important that you make sure to the FRONT LEFT and FRONT RIGHT RCA ONLY. Do not make the make the mistake of using the rear RCA. The Bluetooth hands-free audio only works on the FRONT RCA.

The factory fiber optic connector that was originally plugged into the factory head unit needs to be removed and plugged into the MOST interface.

PIN 15 = +12V switched power source

PIN 12 = BLACK ground wire

Here is a YouTube video showing you how to use the wiretaps

Connect the MOST interface wires to the corresponding PIN wires.

• YELLOW and RED wire from MOST interface taps to PIN 15
  • If there is no PIN 15 in your harness you can tap PIN 13
  • The BLACK wire from MOST interface taps to PIN 12
Test and confirm there is sound output before putting everything back together.

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Does anyone have pics of the most installed does this install where the factory amp is on the passenger rear quarter or behind the display in dash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: So the head unit has been installed, however the install tech bypassed the original AMP and ran RCA's directly to the head unit. The MOST was not used. This is actually a good thing in my opinion because the audio sounds A LOT better. The original Amp is woeful in sound quality as these OEM speakers sound completely different with this head unit amplifying them.

Pros: All android related items on the head unit work minus a couple things. Android Auto/Carplay work great! All mapping apps i've tried work excellent so do apps that aren't supported by Android Auto and Carplay like Soundcloud work excellent. The head unit is feature rich and is plenty fast for any app I've thrown at it.

Cons: Steering wheel audio/microphone controls do not work. The included CANBUS did not work according to the installer. This means that on screen climate control is also not functional. I had this installed at Best Buy so theres a chance the tech just didn't know how to make it work versus it not working. I just have to take his word for it at this point. After having it this way for a couple months it's really not the deal breaker I thought it to be in my head. The pros definitely outweigh the cons. One thing that doesn't work that hopefully a firmware update will fix is I'm not able to make a phone call or use voice operation within Apple Carplay. My recipients can't hear me not does the head unit hear my voice commands. The head unit can hear my voice and bluetooth calling works just fine outside of Car Play so I'm confused where the culprit is.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer to the best of my ability. I wish I had the know how to do this stuff myself so I could have provided a write up of some kind.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts