Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have found the 'easy' way to get the RNS 850 out is to clear all items from the glove box. Push the release button that drops it down into view. Then there are two plastic tabs that create the stop to prevent it from dropping lower. You can very gently push these tabs inward (if my memory is correct) toward the center of the RNS unit. This will allow the plastic mounting bracket to swing down into the glove box. I recommend not allowing it to drop, but rather carefully swinging it down to prevent connector damage.

I found it easier to get to the connectors and even to push the spring clips that latch the RNS 850 into place. If you have Dynaudio be very careful with the connectors. The connector with two orange 'wires' is actually the optic fiber in and out for the Dynaudio. I'm not sure how they can be repaired if they are damaged but I imagine it'll be a lot of cost and pain.

I've never heard of ODIS either.

What I can say is that to my knowledge there are different part numbers for the '11-'14 and '15-'17 units. I imagine the hardware is almost identical but the firmware is different somehow to add functions for the newer features of the '15+ . Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
42 Posts
So if the "brain" is in the CD player then what is the silver box on the right? Really trying to target the right part to replace.

·
Registered
726 Posts
What does the advertisement say?

I’m no expert. But that could be the radio tuner that is in the trunk area. Or possibly the power amplifier for the speakers.

Ask the seller what part numbers are included.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
From left to right, that pic depicts the RNS850 “brain”, touch display, and radio tuner for a 2011-2014 model.

Reactions: mainelyvw

·
Registered
42 Posts
What does the advertisement say?

I’m no expert. But that could be the radio tuner that is in the trunk area. Or possibly the power amplifier for the speakers.

Ask the seller what part numbers are included.
It's an Ebay part - seems to be based in Europe - Estonia I believe.
This is the part description

Head unit. Part number: 7P6035666 (Part number can be changed by manufacturer)
Monitor. Part number: 7P6919603 (Part number can be changed by manufacturer)
Radio unit. Part number: 4G1035053 (Part number can be changed by manufacturer)
GPS Antenna

·
Registered
42 Posts
From left to right, that pic depicts the RNS850 “brain”, touch display, and radio tuner for a 2011-2014 model.
Thank you - now I just need to match up part numbers and find one of them there brains!
Also, since I am sitting here typing, I get the feeling there is some program upload that needs to be done?

·
Registered
42 Posts
OK - two VW OEM sources - same part number until the last two letters. 7P6-035-664-EX or CX... does anyone know the difference? Price wise there is about a $300 difference. I am beginning to feel like this will be a dealer thing - cause if it doesn't work right, I want the unit and labor covered! Any thoughts?

·
Registered
166 Posts
So I bricked/disabled the Navigation function of my RNS850 in my 2015 when playing around with coding (roadsign recognition). Everything works except for the Navigation system, I guess the coding changes corrupted the database. I've tried deleting and re-installing the database, but it doesn't seem to want to install the maps. I assume this is because they're just updates and not the base system?

Either way, I'm frustrated with the lack of navigation, compass, and altitude meter. My current options are:

1) Take it to Volkswagen and have them re-store the system if possible, or replace the main HDD unit.
2) Purchase the main HDD unit off eBay and swap or clone the HDD into mine.
3) Have one of you helpful souls clone your HDD and send me the clone image so I can re-store my HDD.

Anyone willing to give me a hand? Basically you'd need a USB-IDE adapter, remove your HDD, and clone your drive using a VM and QNX OS.
Your system is not bricked. It happened to me as well when I was playing with GE Activation.
Your need to format the MAP partition and reinstall the MAP from user mode.
You can find several instructions for this otherwis we can try with some instructions.

In the worst case , you can also try a full FW install by green menu Recovery.
So I bricked/disabled the Navigation function of my RNS850 in my 2015 when playing around with coding (roadsign recognition). Everything works except for the Navigation system, I guess the coding changes corrupted the database. I've tried deleting and re-installing the database, but it doesn't seem to want to install the maps. I assume this is because they're just updates and not the base system?

Either way, I'm frustrated with the lack of navigation, compass, and altitude meter. My current options are:

1) Take it to Volkswagen and have them re-store the system if possible, or replace the main HDD unit.
2) Purchase the main HDD unit off eBay and swap or clone the HDD into mine.
3) Have one of you helpful souls clone your HDD and send me the clone image so I can re-store my HDD.

Anyone willing to give me a hand? Basically you'd need a USB-IDE adapter, remove your HDD, and clone your drive using a VM and QNX OS.
Your system is not bricked. It happened to me as well when I was playing with GE Activation.
Your need to format the MAP partition and reinstall the MAP from user mode.
You can find several instructions for this otherwis we can try with some instructions.

In the worst case , you can also try a full FW install by green menu Recovery.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a thread here about replacing our RNS850. In my experience you can probably use any revision, but you will need to update firmware on older units. And you'll need to go to the dealer to have them remove component protection if you buy a used eBay unit.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If "Everything works except for the Navigation system" you can try a factory recovery procedure with a fresh new FW install withou changing anything,
In a couple of hours you will recover your RNS850.

I have done it few times....

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would love to try the Firm Ware recovery - how do I do that? Is it achievable on a novice+ level?
The dealership quoted me 2K for replacement incl. mapping.
I found a used unit on Eb*y from a 2013 but the letters at the end of the part number do not match. (But I have not taken mine out yet to confirm- waiting on a spring thaw!)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would love to try the Firm Ware recovery - how do I do that? Is it achievable on a novice+ level?
The dealership quoted me 2K for replacement incl. mapping.
I found a used unit on Eb*y from a 2013 but the letters at the end of the part number do not match. (But I have not taken mine out yet to confirm- waiting on a spring thaw!)
It is not a complex procedure.
You can obtain it easily from green menu "Emergency Update".

I attache a pdf extrapolated from an Audi MMI system that is basivcally the same of our RNS.

You must be sure to have a reliable Firmware SD for the recovery.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
You all are being a great help! Next question is about model years. I found some that say 2015 thru 2017. Mine is a 2014 - what is the difference? Can I go for a newer model year?

·
Registered
166 Posts
The important is not the year but the national customization.
Four Europe you can see in the FW the EU indication.

You have to look for your national FW .

·
Registered
42 Posts
The important is not the year but the national customization.
Four Europe you can see in the FW the EU indication.

You have to look for your national FW .
Yes, I am only looking for North American units. I have found some but they all say 2015-2017. I have a 2014.... I was wondering if they changed wiring config? Someone mention a connection to be careful of when uninstalling (don't know how (what tools actually) to check the setup. So I am just concerned about buying a used unit from 15'-17' that has matching numbers but a letter larger (newer) than mine...
Thoughts on this? Thank you, I appreciate all that I am learning!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've no experience in NA units.
If you just need to upgrade the FW normally it makes a compatibility check before to install.

If you are in recovery with a faulty system it's anyhow worth to try :)

Sorry I cannot assist very much on this.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts