Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bricked/disabled the Navigation function of my RNS850 in my 2015 when playing around with coding (roadsign recognition). Everything works except for the Navigation system, I guess the coding changes corrupted the database. I've tried deleting and re-installing the database, but it doesn't seem to want to install the maps. I assume this is because they're just updates and not the base system?

Either way, I'm frustrated with the lack of navigation, compass, and altitude meter. My current options are:

1) Take it to Volkswagen and have them re-store the system if possible, or replace the main HDD unit.
2) Purchase the main HDD unit off eBay and swap or clone the HDD into mine.
3) Have one of you helpful souls clone your HDD and send me the clone image so I can re-store my HDD.

Anyone willing to give me a hand? Basically you'd need a USB-IDE adapter, remove your HDD, and clone your drive using a VM and QNX OS.

·
Registered
840 Posts
If the unit is genuinely bricked you're going to need a new one

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you read my post, it’s not bricked. I just need to restore the navigation database or clone the HDD.

·
Registered
840 Posts
What you're describing is the definition of bricked. The radio and the navigation are basically 2 separate modules, so its possible to brick one and not the other.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I disagree, but thank you for your input.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hey if you can fix it, let us know... I'm sure there would be many people showing appreciation.

·
Registered
170 Posts
So I bricked/disabled the Navigation function of my RNS850 in my 2015 when playing around with coding (roadsign recognition). Everything works except for the Navigation system, I guess the coding changes corrupted the database. I've tried deleting and re-installing the database, but it doesn't seem to want to install the maps. I assume this is because they're just updates and not the base system?

Either way, I'm frustrated with the lack of navigation, compass, and altitude meter. My current options are:

1) Take it to Volkswagen and have them re-store the system if possible, or replace the main HDD unit.
2) Purchase the main HDD unit off eBay and swap or clone the HDD into mine.
3) Have one of you helpful souls clone your HDD and send me the clone image so I can re-store my HDD.

Anyone willing to give me a hand? Basically you'd need a USB-IDE adapter, remove your HDD, and clone your drive using a VM and QNX OS.
Hey Chewy, Simple question and I am guessing that you are farther into this, but worth asking: Did you try the 5-button reset? Navigation Lost How To Reset

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Chewy, Simple question and I am guessing that you are farther into this, but worth asking: Did you try the 5-button reset? Navigation Lost How To Reset
Well past that point, I deleted the Navi database in the green screen

I have a lead on a wrecked 2014 that I can take the rns850 main unit out of. I’ll clone that HDD and re-image onto mine.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well past that point, I deleted the Navi database in the green screen

I have a lead on a wrecked 2014 that I can take the rns850 main unit out of. I’ll clone that HDD and re-image onto mine.
Great. Sorry I am not closer. Would be happy to help. Make sure you post your efforts for the rest of us to learn by.

;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Looks like my system just decided to do the same. Please let us know how you resolve this... Would rather not buy a whole new unit - but I am not sure I am skilled enough with electronics to have many options...

·
Registered
42 Posts
So, I just found this link and info. How to Brick Your Car by Looking for Hidden Options - Not that I want to buy the "black box" he refers to, but, if I did... has anyone experienced replacing this unit themselves? The author mentions it is up behind the glove box. However, I found the Radio Control unit and it appears to be in the tailgate.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rns850 brain is the black box with DVD and SD cards in the glove box. What happened to yours? My issue is the result of my own stupidity and playing around with coding.

Reactions: trdltly

·
Registered
726 Posts
I’ve been through something similar. My ‘13 didn’t perform the 701 firmware update correctly. I posted a bunch of links on recovering (for Audi 3G MMI). Someone was also able to clone the drive to an IDE SSD.

From what I can tell QNX uses a custom file system format called QNX 3 or QNX 4 which different then windows (NTFS, Mac HFS+ or Linux Ext3 or EXT4). Some Linux versions may include a QNX4 filesystem add on that could allow you to read/write files via IDE on a Linux PC.

Otherwise if you want to tinker you’d have to either buy the serial maintenance port adapter and login via TTY (puTTy on Windows for example) or you’d have to get a QNX dev machine/VM setup to interact with the file system by plugging the drive in. You may be able to install an x86 compatible version of QNX and then repair via command line.

You may have some luck with this dongle: ebay item: 163909490805

If you are very good you can solder to the board a serial to USB adapter and get command line access. I didn’t have luck personally. The solder pads are tiny and very fragile.

Here’s some more info:

I may have a parts list for the board edge connector.

Hope this helps.

In my case since the dealer performed the update and thus bricked it, they replaced my RNS850 with a new one.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya I know what I need to do. Just asking if anyone could clone their HDD for me.

I’ve acquired another RNS850 brain so I’ll clone that HDD and re-image mine. Or just swap that brain into mine and be done with it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Could you post a drive image?

Might be good to have a library of restore drive images.

One thing that puzzles me is if the operating system is stored in flash or on drive. I would imagine in flash....

Let us know if you have any luck restoring it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Could you post a drive image?

Might be good to have a library of restore drive images.

One thing that puzzles me is if the operating system is stored in flash or on drive. I would imagine in flash....

Let us know if you have any luck restoring it.
It would probably be around a 25gb image. HDD is 60gb. It’s all on the HDD except for a few basic functions that are stored on flash (radio function for example).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Rns850 brain is the black box with DVD and SD cards in the glove box. What happened to yours? My issue is the result of my own stupidity and playing around with coding.
Well I was definitely not messing around with coding! Actually, I was making no attempts to do anything. I just turned it on the other day to plug in an address and it never booted. I performed the "soft reset or reboot" I found online with no success. I am not happy about buying a new black box - but I intend on driving this ride for a while. If I buy one, is it plug and play? I may be capable of removing the old one and installing a new one. If there is "cloning" or something else involved, I am not sure that falls in my skill set. About $800-$1000 for a new one online.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can buy used ones off eBay or car-part for under $400. Replacement is easy, basically use two radio removal keys and pull it out. But you will need to disable component protection, either with your own copy of ODIS and an online login, or a trip to your dealer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can buy used ones off eBay or car-part for under $400. Replacement is easy, basically use two radio removal keys and pull it out. But you will need to disable component protection, either with your own copy of ODIS and an online login, or a trip to your dealer.
Thanks - I will search and see what looks good on Ebay. I am not familiar with ODIS - maybe the original owner was? So probably a trip to the dealer. :(

1 - 20 of 37 Posts