Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Touareg equipped with RNS850. I bought the car when working abroad in Abu Dhabi UAE as new. Now I returned to Europe and thought it is straight forward to install Europe maps to my navigation but it looks like it is not!

Comment what I got from VW dealer is following:

Touareg / RNS 850 was „blocked“ for continental use and cards, which means – no you cannot upgrade this AGCC-car with European maps at all.

This was state-of-technology with RNS 850 and most Audi-MMI-units (which the RNS 850 bases onto).

Apologies, but this AGCC-sat-nav-unit cannot be used in Europe, and it cannot be changed against an European one as well

Any idea what to do? Is it really so you cannot do anything?

Can you replace the whole unit with some aftermarket unit?

Thanks // Jari

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I have a 2012 Touareg equipped with RNS850. I bought the car when working abroad in Abu Dhabi UAE as new. Now I returned to Europe and thought it is straight forward to install Europe maps to my navigation but it looks like it is not!

Comment what I got from VW dealer is following:

Touareg / RNS 850 was „blocked“ for continental use and cards, which means – no you cannot upgrade this AGCC-car with European maps at all.

This was state-of-technology with RNS 850 and most Audi-MMI-units (which the RNS 850 bases onto).

Apologies, but this AGCC-sat-nav-unit cannot be used in Europe, and it cannot be changed against an European one as well

Any idea what to do? Is it really so you cannot do anything?

Can you replace the whole unit with some aftermarket unit?

Thanks // Jari
Sorry I cannot help you but I am amazed at what the manufacturers do to stop spare parts being usable. They will probably claim it is to stop trading of stolen parts. I am sure it would be easy to make them location universal.

Regards
Drag

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,170 Posts
Have a read of this and see if it looks like it will resolve your problem.

AudiEnthusiasts Master

I take no responsibility for any unexpected outcomes.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Go to myTreg forums and look for the very recent thread last week on hacking these things. There is a Russian guy there who seems to know what he is doing. He has to use Google Translate so some of his posts are not always polite!

·
Registered
132 Posts
You might be able to just replace it with an EU unit (probably just the "brains", not the screen) - could be the easiest route and you can likely sell the old unit on eBay to recoup some cash.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Go to myTreg forums and look for the very recent thread last week on hacking these things. There is a Russian guy there who seems to know what he is doing. He has to use Google Translate so some of his posts are not always polite!
The guy's user name is zerbino.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts