Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My RNS850 on my 2014 Lux TDI is being replaced at the dealer because the NAV screen freezes on occasion and it has lost my radio presets two times among other issues. They said the part is being shipped from Germany. The dealer said there are three parts to the RNS850 a totally modular system, the part in the dash which is just a display, some part in the rear of the vehicle and then the actual RNS850 unit. The dealer said that the first two parts do not need to be changed the display and the part in the back (I am assuming that is the SAT radio module).

VW America stated it is a new unit, do you think it will have the 2016 features? It sounds like VW is still calling it a RNS850 but it is actually a MIB II. From what I read they are plug and play.

VW makes sweeping infotainment, safety system upgrades for 2016 | LeftLaneNews

Volkswagen to launch CarPlay, Android Auto in Europe and US this year | ZDNet

Audi | NVIDIA Tegra Visual Computing Module | PC | Internet Zone

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
The 2016 Touareg does not get the new features. Likely in the 2017 upgrade, though. VERY unlikely the RNS850 we have will be upgradeable with new features, considering a two year old map update costs us more than 6 tanks of gas and the dealer bricks the unit half the time.

·
Registered
872 Posts
VW America stated it is a new unit, do you think it will have the 2016 features? It sounds like VW is still calling it a RNS850 but it is actually a MIB II. From what I read they are plug and play.
A bit of mis-information here.
The MIB II is the next generation of Discovery/Discovery Pro which replaced the RNS510 in most of the bread and butter VW models. Not plug and play in a Touareg.
The MIB II has the App Connect (Mirror link, Apple Car play and Android Auto).

The RNS850 is basically a touch screen version of the Audi MMI 3G Plus which Audi has optioned up Audi Connect (but not in the Touareg's case) to give internet access and the likes of google earth services.

Your replacement unit will most likely be no difference to what you now have, with maybe new maps or software updates.

The updated version of the RNS850 won't be released until the next generation Touareg and this will likely be what you are seeing in the new Audi A4/A6/Q7/TT etc, an internet connected system with App Connect via your phone supporting a virtual dash board.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A bit of mis-information here.
The MIB II is the next generation of Discovery/Discovery Pro which replaced the RNS510 in most of the bread and butter VW models. Not plug and play in a Touareg.
The MIB II has the App Connect (Mirror link, Apple Car play and Android Auto).

The RNS850 is basically a touch screen version of the Audi MMI 3G Plus which Audi has optioned up Audi Connect (but not in the Touareg's case) to give internet access and the likes of google earth services.

Your replacement unit will most likely be no difference to what you now have, with maybe new maps or software updates.

The updated version of the RNS850 won't be released until the next generation Touareg and this will likely be what you are seeing in the new Audi A4/A6/Q7/TT etc, an internet connected system with App Connect via your phone supporting a virtual dash board.
Your probably right, I'll let you know. I was hoping to get some more functionality tab what I have now. VW really dropped the ball on the navigation systems they have so much more capability than VW allows. I imagine VW limits the usability so it doesn't cut into Audi territory.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts