Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
2017 / 2018 RNS850 NAR Map Update

I purchased one of the RNS850 map updates from VAG-TECHNIK in the UK that is currently being offered for sale on E-Bay. The kit being sold as a package has a P0711 firmware update and a version 12 NAR map update.

My 2014 Touareg R-Line TDI RNS850 navigation system that I own already has a more advanced firmware (HN+_US_VW_P0726 and MU Software 0783). I contacted them directly and only purchased the NAR map update. The cost of the map update was 101.98 British pounds including the 10 pounds freight or $188.65 Canadian dollars (roughly $146.00 USD).

I received two VW original SD cards by mail and comprehensive installation instructions (file attached). I connected a battery charger to the Touareg during the update process and the charger provided approximately 4 12V amps during the entire process. The instructions indicated that the process could take 80 to 90 minutes to upload the maps. My actual time required 127 minutes or just over two hours.

The authorization SD only took a minute to update and then I was complete. It did take about 15 minutes and a reboot to get the satellites online and routing functioning.

Before the update my map was NAR 6.9.2 (8R0060884BL) and post update my map is NAR 6.16.2. I have noticed significant upgrades to streets, highways and POIs (The new VW dealer location has been updated).

Very pleased with the result!

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
VW usually only updates the firmware to address a performance issue. You will need to be able to identify a fault that they have a fix for. My 2014 is still under warranty and VW wanted me to buy the map upgrade as they would not cover it under warranty.

VW also makes the dealers pay almost $300 for the map card and then you need to buy the activation SD card and pay the dealer charges labor costs. Not cheap when you consider it took over 2 hours to update the maps.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I purchased one of the RNS850 map updates from VAG-TECHNIK in the UK that is currently being offered for sale on E-Bay. The kit being sold as a package has a P0711 firmware update and a version 12 NAR map update.

My 2014 Touareg R-Line TDI RNS850 navigation system that I own already has a more advanced firmware (HN+_US_VW_P0726 and MU Software 0783). I contacted them directly and only purchased the NAR map update. The cost of the map update was 101.98 British pounds including the 10 pounds freight or $188.65 Canadian dollars (roughly $146.00 USD).

I received two VW original SD cards by mail and comprehensive installation instructions (file attached). I connected a battery charger to the Touareg during the update process and the charger provided approximately 4 12V amps during the entire process. The instructions indicated that the process could take 80 to 90 minutes to upload the maps. My actual time required 127 minutes or just over two hours.

The authorization SD only took a minute to update and then I was complete. It did take about 15 minutes and a reboot to get the satellites online and routing functioning.

Before the update my map was NAR 6.9.2 (8R0060884BL) and post update my map is NAR 6.16.2. I have noticed significant upgrades to streets, highways and POIs (The new VW dealer location has been updated).

Very pleased with the result!

Mike
So I have a 2016 TDI with current software version HN+_US_VW_P0737 and MU Software 0933, how can I check what map NAR version I have? Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a 2016 Touareg owner in Australia and incenced that our dealers are price gouging on map updates also AU$450 for an updated SD card (RNS850). Do you know of another source? I am on version 5.8.6 and although I am aware of a new version being available I don't know the current version. Do you?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I am a 2016 Touareg owner in Australia and incenced that our dealers are price gouging on map updates also AU$450 for an updated SD card (RNS850). Do you know of another source? I am on version 5.8.6 and although I am aware of a new version being available I don't know the current version. Do you?
Try these guys - https://jku.com.au/2016-volkswagen-touareg-map-update-rns-850-navigation-service-oem-firmware-3400.html
I have used then before, a bit costly compared to this thread, but cheaper than the dealers. Note that 2018 maps won't be released until May.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Called Euro Car Upgrade as you suggested but they could not tell me with any certaincy what the latest version is and were even unclear about which version they were currently supplying they "think it's version 9", which was released in Nov 2017. I asked if they could confirm that the next version was due in May but they could not.

Why is it so hard to confirm the version of a product they ask us to spend around $400 on? I have written to my dealer and intend to write to VW Australia but I am not hopeful of a reply.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi iSagen, fellow viking ;)
Downloaded, unpacked and getting ready for upgrade. Recently upgraded to K0821 which fixed a lot of BT issues, but looking forward to this one. A quick question as you mention firmware mods: do you have any link or documentation for different mods and possibilities? I'm wondering if I'll add a data SIM card just to see how it works with WIFI AP in the car (without removing the option for BT which I've seen commented in several forums).

Also, my RNS 850 has DAB but not DAB+ which of course is a pain in the a** in Norway as FM is shut down. Have you done the DAB+ upgrade on your unit? Specifically the DAB+ radiotuner for VW Touareg 7P at bilkomponenter.no site.

/Dave

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hi iSagen, fellow viking ;)
Downloaded, unpacked and getting ready for upgrade. Recently upgraded to K0821 which fixed a lot of BT issues, but looking forward to this one. A quick question as you mention firmware mods: do you have any link or documentation for different mods and possibilities? I'm wondering if I'll add a data SIM card just to see how it works with WIFI AP in the car (without removing the option for BT which I've seen commented in several forums).

Also, my RNS 850 has DAB but not DAB+ which of course is a pain in the a** in Norway as FM is shut down. Have you done the DAB+ upgrade on your unit? Specifically the DAB+ radiotuner for VW Touareg 7P at bilkomponenter.no site.

/Dave
My 850 do DAB+ without mods.

As far as I know BT Handsfree stops working with SIM-card inserted. I use a SIM-card for Google Earth, so no BT Handsfree.

RNS850 mods:
- Aux heater with remote and timer
- Google Earth
- Online traffic (work in progress)
- Video in motion

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 850 do DAB+ without mods.

As far as I know BT Handsfree stops working with SIM-card inserted. I use a SIM-card for Google Earth, so no BT Handsfree.

RNS850 mods:
- Aux heater with remote and timer
- Google Earth
- Online traffic (work in progress)
- Video in motion
Hi iSagen
Hm, my only does DAB, eg. only P4 (*,)
Same model, 2011 so a bit strange. I'm doing the same mods, and also the WiFi router mod. Looking forward to that as Google earth, HF and BT media will work simultaneously.
Unfortunately the map activation for 6.26.1 I had from before did not work (6.22.4). Is there any way you can guide me to the correct activation?

Cheers
/D

·
Learner
4,645 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
What is the latest maps for Australia, and is May when they release the new version?
Version 8R0060886BK AN 5.10.4
Came out to dealers late April 2018

·
Registered
487 Posts
Version 8R0060886BK AN 5.10.4
Came out to dealers late April 2018
Thanks. So we should be close to a 5.11.x in the next month or so.

With so many projects happening in Melbourne (ie. Westgate Tunnel and the new underground railway lines), not sure when maps will be upgraded to contain these.

Not sure if it is worth upgrading the current maps until these two projects are completed.

The funny thing is that by the time these major projects are completed, I will either be ready to replace (or have upgraded) the Touareg.

And I will make sure the next car will have google maps built in so map upgrades will not be an issue.

BTW: VW dealer quoted me $630 to upgrade to the latest maps last month, so this would have been for v5.10.4.

·
Registered
857 Posts
With so many projects happening in Melbourne (ie. Westgate Tunnel and the new underground railway lines), not sure when maps will be upgraded to contain these.

Not sure if it is worth upgrading the current maps until these two projects are completed.
Remember that the Here maps offered up to VW/Audi are generally 18 months old before release. If you need current mapping than looking at a mobile device is the only answer.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Remember that the Here maps offered up to VW/Audi are generally 18 months old before release. If you need current mapping than looking at a mobile device is the only answer.

To be honest using my mobile device is the option I go for.
I have the newest ('17-'18 ) maps update and activation card but didn't bother to do the update. Knowing they're already outdated when I received them I just updated the FW and left it at that.
My phone has a 5.5" display and fits perfectly behind the shifter in front of the ash tray. Easy to see and leaves the RNS850 free to do whatever else I want it to do while driving. I also get regular updates for my mobile device that are a lot more current than what's available from VW.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
About this Discussion
66 Replies
31 Participants
probegtze
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing