Club Touareg Forum banner

RNS510 retrofit reception woes T2 - Solved!

12K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  turbophil 
#1 ·
I have been struggling with finding a solution to poor radio reception after retrofitting an RNS510 to my 2008 T2 which came originally with a Delta2 head unit.

The Delta had very good reception and I was rather disappointed that when I fitted the RNS510 it seemed to me that reception was inferior which was confirmed when in convoy with another identical T2 with a factory fitted RNS510, he could receive many more FM stations with a good signal than I could.

After some searching and testing of the aerial leads it was confirmed that only one aerial was being seen by my RNS510 and as we know, T2’s have only aerials on both rear side glass of the vehicle, (unlike T1’s which had additional aerials in the tailgate glass plus Diversity). The LHS aerial (Antenna R11) receives AM + FM signals and the RHS (R93) only FM.
(Refer Pic1, Pic2)

There is a tread on myTreg.com which is quite good in dealing with a solution when the RNS510 upgrade is done in a T1 with Diversity module fitted (antenna selection done by the module in the rear headlining) but contains some errors when talking about a retrofit in the post 2007 facelift T2 Touareg without the diversity, one poster in a T2 claims he gets perfect reception without the need of a bypass, another says bypass is required and cable required is a “double Fakra to two single Fakra connections”. WTF, there are only two aerial wires in the T2.
It’s this sort of mis-information has sent me on wild goose chases.

The T2 (or mine at least), OEM fitted is an aerial selection control unit (J515) fitted in the rear headlining (Note: this is not the “diversity” box from the T1) which switches aerial used on signal from the Delta head unit (unlike the Diversity in T1's which selects and switches aerials without any input from the HU).
(Refer Pic 3)

Many thanks to hedditch (CT Moderator) for taking the time to study the wiring diagrams and determining that each antenna had to be bypassed to enable the RNS510 to function correctly, finally we had something tangible to work with.
(Refer Pic 4)

The RNS510 does the antenna selection itself so we need to take the J515 out of play by bypassing the module, very simple but you will need the not so common, male-male Fakra pigtails x 2, I didn't have these so decided to make my own by cutting and soldering two male-female pigtails which I did have.
(Refer Pic5, Pic7)

And this did the trick, problem solved, I now show both antennas ON and reception is noticeably better.
(Refer Pic6)

I hope this write up helps others that want to upgrade to the RNS510.

Tonyb

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks mate. I'm in the same boat and have been stumped by that My Treg article too. Just ordered two male to male fakras and looking forward to better reception.

Did you have much trouble with the headliner? Also in picture 7 which shows the bypass are the cream and yellow cables connected to the black double plug in picture 3?

#3 ·
The coloured Fakra connectors is one end of the cable that go to the dash for the head unit to plug into.
When you disconnect the rear black plug you will be able to trace from which aerial amp the cable originates from, the RHS aerial amp is for FM reception only and needs to be connected to the GREEN plug via the M-M Fakra pigtail and the LHS is the AM+AM feed and is connected to the WHITE plug, once connected you should be done.

Getting to under the headliner is not difficult as I think for what you need to do you may not need to remove the trim from the C pillar as I did, just be careful you don't crease the headliner at the C pillar when you force down the liner a little to get to the plugs.

TonyB

#6 ·
The coloured Fakra connectors is one end of the cable that go to the dash for the head unit to plug into.
When you disconnect the rear black plug you will be able to trace from which aerial amp the cable originates from, the RHS aerial amp is for FM reception only and needs to be connected to the GREEN plug via the M-M Fakra pigtail and the LHS is the AM+AM feed and is connected to the WHITE plug, once connected you should be done.

Getting to under the headliner is not difficult as I think for what you need to do you may not need to remove the trim from the C pillar as I did, just be careful you don't crease the headliner at the C pillar when you force down the liner a little to get to the plugs.

TonyB

Thanks for the instructions Tony. I was near ready to throw in the towel and pay someone to do it for me (I had already tried two different cables at the head unit end as I was initially advised this was all that was needed). In case anyone else is looking to do this bypass and is having difficulty finding the cables you can buy the cables cheap from ebay seller 'rfstore2015' (postage from China).

Out of curiosity did you install the bluetooth module yourself to complement the RNS510 and if so which did you go with? Also do you have the red or white MFD (cluster)? I installed a kufatec fiscon basic plus BT unit and it's ok for hands free but it does not give the BT streaming option under MEDIA on the RNS510 (to stream from ipod), nor does it work with voice control or integrate with the red MFD.

Cheers

Simon

#4 ·
Tony...your image attachments are not showing :( (in post #3)

#5 ·
Thanks Steve, I was trying to attach a couple of ElsaWin files to show trim removal but I need to work out how to save the docs so I can attach them:crying:.

TonyB

#8 ·
Hey Tony,

I looked at that BT module also but wanted the option to stream music via bluetooth. The red MFD is a bit of a downer although I do like the blue back-lighting.

When the cables arrive I'll follow your advice and see how I go - definitely don't want to crease the headliner. I'll send you a PM with my email if you don't mind sending me those trim removal files please.

cheers

Simon

#14 ·
Hi all, sorry to reignite an old thread but wonder what your opinions were of this mod with an aftermarket head unit? I recently installed a kenwood head unit into my 08 t2 Touareg replacing the original Delta unit and using an aerpro powered antenna adapter and the reception is terrible! Many thanks for any advice

#16 ·
I assume you were getting some reception/one antenna connection on your RNS510 before you started?
I feel sorry for you but I don't know why none of the two antennae shows as connected, there have been a couple of these mods done which followed the posted instructions which were sucessfull so you seem to have a unique issue.
All I can suggest is that you go back and double check the work you did, (you have plugged the antenna inputs back into the RNS?) as something you did must be different to what we did for the antennae not to function.

Please update when you find the answer.

TonyB

#17 ·
Yes, when everything is put back together only ANT1 says ON and if i change the cables only ANT2 says on and the other off....

my Treg came with a delta radio with SAT radio from factory, wonder if its wired differently due to this?

I heard the roof antenna is for key remote or sat radio?

did anyone who did this mod on a T2 have factory SAT radio?

thx for any help

#18 ·
I just got an rns510 unit to start the retrofit but no wiring or anything. My current antenna cable doest fit the new radio. Are you guys pulling the whole antenna harness and everything for the retrofit from a vehicle or purchasing a harness? I had sirius with my old Delta so hopefully that all functions normal

#21 ·
@ZIMTDI- I can't comment on the antennas since I just took off the white and brown connectors and plugged the cable into the RNS without them. FM works but isn't as clear as it was with my Delta unit. For some reason I can't get into service mode with my unit to see the strength and which antenna is on. When i Have some more time I'll get to that and loom into the diversity antenna mod as posted here.

I ordered a GPS antenna and got it installed so the next thing is the Sirius Radio to tackle. I found an old thread that makes sense about it. The cheat way i guess would be to find a Sirius antenna and plug it in but read Post #44 in this https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f45/2008-touareg-rns-510-upgrade-79254-5.html

I'm going to try this when I have some time. I have a 2008 Touareg as well BTW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.