Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, any help or guidance would be appreciated here. After having bad luck with aftermarket Android radios for my 2010 TDi Lux Limited with Dynaudio, I went back to OEM. Only this time, I purchased a brand new 2019 RNS510 head unit from UK Seller who had the device tailored to American specs. Paid over $1K for this new head unit since it's also the SSD version versus the slower HDD versions out there. They also unlocked Video in Motion for me.

Here are my questions or dilemmas:

1) Possible to get my color MFD to also display Radio/Phone, Nav screens or does it only display driving technical info such as MPG, Range, etc?

2) After installing the upgraded 9W7 bluetooth module so that I could have music playback possible, I then realized sound only coming from right side speakers because my bluetooth was only capable of mono and not stereo. So then I purchased this stereo cable from Eurozone Tuning which essentially enables stereo speaker capabilities. So yes, it worked and now music comes out from all speakers. But the problem I'm having is my subwoofer doesn't work. However, when I play music from Radio or Aux Cable, subwoofer works fine. Does this need to be programmed in some way via Vag-com?

3) On my older RNS510 and Android Radios, the little telephone button on steering wheel worked no problems. Now on the new RNS510, that button doesn't work at all. Vag-com coding as well?

4) Being that my unit is "Video in Motion" enabled, what do other users do when you want to download Youtube videos and play them in the car? Is this just simply converting Youtube to DVD via Windows 10 Software and popping in those DVDs to radio and Voila??

Thank you in advance for any tips/answers/feedback from anyone. Trying to put this long winded journey of radio upgrade woes behind me once and for all. Been one of the longest most expensive journeys and I'm at the point of being fed up now lol.

·
Super Moderator
1,629 Posts
Re the MFD question....I believe you will have to 'trigger/activate' modules via VCDS (Rosstech cable) to enable those MFD options to become live. Probably same for the phone button on the steering wheel.

Re the sub-woofer activation using BT Audio streaming, I believe that there is a tweak of the wiring/inputs into the quad connector required. IIRC (If I recall correctly), all is revealed in here https://www.myturbodiesel.com/threads/9w3-to-9w7-streaming-audio-from-right-side-speakers-only.4964/

FWIW I do not run videos while driving. it's not because it's illegal (here in Oz), but I have tried, and find it distracting, and to be honest, I can't watch the video feed and drive at the same time.

I do convert Youtube music videos to mp3 using this site https://mp3-youtube.download/en

It's actually very good and free to use.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re the MFD question....I believe you will have to 'trigger/activate' modules via VCDS (Rosstech cable) to enable those MFD options to become live. Probably same for the phone button on the steering wheel.

Re the sub-woofer activation using BT Audio streaming, I believe that there is a tweak of the wiring/inputs into the quad connector required. IIRC (If I recall correctly), all is revealed in here https://www.myturbodiesel.com/threads/9w3-to-9w7-streaming-audio-from-right-side-speakers-only.4964/

FWIW I do not run videos while driving. it's not because it's illegal (here in Oz), but I have tried, and find it distracting, and to be honest, I can't watch the video feed and drive at the same time.

I do convert Youtube music videos to mp3 using this site https://mp3-youtube.download/en

It's actually very good and free to use.
Thanks for the replay Steve. I will look into the VCDS coding options and see what I can find. As for bluetooth streaming with subwoofer issue, I will have to revisit how the stereo cables were installed and perhaps something wasn't connected properly. Also, I don't watch videos while driving. This is for my kids sitting in the back seat and putting on their shows or movies during long drives. I will try the converter you mentioned as well. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My RNS510 is unlocked for Video in Motion meaning I should be able to play DVDs. So I downloaded Youtube Videos and burned them to a DVD disc and I kept getting an error when I put the DVD into the radio. What am I doing wrong?

·
Super Moderator
1,629 Posts
How did you 'unlock' the RNS510?
What files/software did you find to do this?
How did you burn the software to the CD (to enable Video in Motion)? - Burning program/speed/cd-r or dvd-r?

To enable VIM, is an exact process, and any deviation/non-compliance of the known steps will not be successful.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How did you burn the software to the CD (to enable Video in Motion)? - Burning program/speed/cd-r or dvd-r?

To enable VIM, is an exact process, and any deviation/non-compliance of the known steps will not be successful.
Hey Steve, so I figured it out. Apparently I wasn't burning the files to the DVD Disc properly to make them official DVD videos. I used www.dvdvideosoft.com whole suite of apps and my new RNS510 already came pre-configured for VIM unlocked.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

So I went out and tried the new DVD I just burned. I get the Error reading Cd/DVD message and pops back out. This same DVD I just burned works on other DVD players in the house including my Xbox. It's basically several YouTube Videos burned and converted to DVD format. I'm using CD-RW by Maxell and 4.7GB in size.

For what it's worth, I took a real DVD Movie and popped it in and it worked no problem. Perhaps something to do with DVD Rewritables? At this point, I'm so annoyed with this radio and hate how slow/unreliable these are.

·
Super Moderator
1,629 Posts
Ok, so it's the file format/burning process.

If a real DVD movie works, the head unit has been updated. There must be a file ordering/type difference between the video discs you have.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Most DVD's have a regional setting. If you are burning DVD's on NA equipment and they play in NA players, quite possibly they won't work on your UK head unit unless you can change the region on it or burn the disk to the correct region.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts