Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to get a project car up and running for the last few months, and now I'm getting to the expensive stuff. I have a 1988 Suzuki Samurai that was my first car ever and now that it needs paint and tires I'm selling a few things to help cover the costs (and to make sure I stay married).

I bought this unit off of another member sometime in January and it's been a great unit. I had the CD player installed originally that I took out to use this. For an 08 V6 it was plug and play except for the GPS antenna, which I will include in the sale. It gets great signal and it was able to track everywhere I went. The DVD map is a 5B. It isn't the newest map, but they are easy to 'find'.

There are no major scratches on the screen, just a few small ones that were there when I bought it.

I used a DICE iPod adapter and hooked it straight into the back and it worked great with my iPod Touch and iPhone 4. It also charges. It plugs into the Satellite plug.

I don't know if this will work on older model Touaregs, but I'm sure someone here probably knows. Part # is 7L6 035 177 D

I'm looking to get $450 which is $100 less than I paid for it and that price includes shipping. One that I had followed on eBay recently went for $600, but I haven't seen another one listed for a few weeks. PayPal only to ship, and I will consider a local delivery and even help install it if you are in the DFW area. Please don't hesitate to post any questions, and I will do my best to answer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm interested but have not done my research yet to understand what's compatible with my 2009 V6 (which came with -- and still has -- the base CD player).

(a) What MY was this RNS2 originally for ?
(b) Will it be plug-and-play in a 2009 ?
(c) Is there anything else I need to do to get this to work (e.g., enable programming somewhere else) to get full functionality ?
(d) where did you need to put the GPS antenna -- is hidden under the dash OK, or does it need to go on the roof ?

I was under the impression that all GPS/Nav systems before the RNS-510 (first offered in 2009's ?) were not DVD-based, and used a separate box mounted under the passenger seat ... not sure where I read that...

So I'm very interested but still have questions !
Thanks,
Pancho

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oh and one more question :eek:).....
Any idea what would be required to get a backup camera to work with this ? Is a factory camera the only option, or could something be done with an aftermarket / NTSC composite video output camera ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure what M.Y. It was originally produced for, but I'm 99% certain you wouldn't have any issues in a 2009. It was plug and play in my 08, and it even had a few other features that surprised me. I had no idea it could track the degree of my turns which could be helpful off road.

The antenna I used I kept under the dash. It was magnetic, so I just set it on a vertical metal support. No issues with tracking.

I have no idea on a backup camera, but the head unit is set up for a factory one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for the info -- I'm still doing some research and will need to discuss with the other half (... like you, I wish to stay married :))

I assume you have the security ID number... and could you either describe or post pics of the scratches on the display ? (Do these scratch easily ?)

I am still torn between this or an RNS510 or an aftermarket unit... I am wondering why so many seem to be swapping out their RNS2 for an RNS510 unless it's just to have the latest and greatest.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The RNS 510 is a great unit, but good luck finding one for this price. Most of the ones you see online aren't OEM, they just look like it.

For anyone that does agree to purchase the unit, I will do a quick YouTube video showing how to do the installation. It's extremely easy and shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think I'll pass... have only had my vehicle a few weeks and have lots of other things to learn, research to do, and goodies to explore.

But thanks very much for the info, though.

//Pancho

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think 2007 was a transition year... model designation will be either 7LA (early) or 7L6 (late)... but confrim that. I know my 2009 is a 7L6.

Model designation can be found on the paper sticker by the spare tire that lists the RPO codes, among other places.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Easier to look at your front grill - T2's have the grill extending down through the bumper. My guess is if you don't know you likely have a T1...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sold! I just bought it from AcousticD. Great seller to deal with and easy to talk to. I am one Happy Customer. "A+ member"

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And JRillo is legit as well. Prompt payment and easy to deal with. Highly recommended for future transactions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts