Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all green screen experts! I am looking for a way to decrease the amount the radio volume increases for each click of the volume knob. The first click is too quiet to hear the radio while driving, and the second click is slightly too loud for carrying on conversation over the radio. I was in there digging around a few minutes ago. There are volume adjustments for "entertainment", SDS, Navi, & Traffic, but none for just the normal radio volume. How do I tweak this? It's in there somewhere.... Bonus points for anyone who can tell me how to remove the "tin-can effect" when on SAT radio. I have Dynaudio coding mod, but it still sounds like garbage on SAT.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm going to lower all the volumes in the green screen when I've got time to do so, to hopefully overcome the exact volume issue that you've described. Going to try taking them all down by the same amount, and tweaking from there. As for the SAT radio, there's nothing you can do there. They use a huge amount of file compression to limit the amount of data going through their birds (satellites), and it results in terrible audio quality. I could barely stand listening to speech, but music was completely un-listenable IMHO.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would you mind reporting back with your findings, soundguybob? I don't think any of the settings you're looking at are the correct one, as the MIN on all of them is "2", and the radio will go down to zero.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok, just gave this a try, and it definitely made a difference. I've generally only been running the radio on 2-3 clicks of the volume control (at most), but it seems that it now takes 2-3 click more to get to the same amount of volume. Considering that I've never even gotten near 1/2 of the volume range for anything besides phone call volume, I'm much happier with this result. Here's the basics of what I changed:

You must have the green menu activated. It is not activated by default; you'll need VCDS, OBDeleven, or similar to do so. This is already well covered, so I won't get into that part here.

Enter the Green Menu, go to "audiomanagement" -> "inputgainoffset". There are 14 entries in my RNS 850, but there may be a different amount in yours depending on the options fitted. I went down the list one by one, and decreased each by 5 as a trial. I'll try it there, and make adjustments as necessary. The radio was on while I was making the changes, and I heard the volume drop within a few seconds of making the change to the FM setting. I think the values equate to a dB change, and I'll verify that once I can spend some time with my audio test gear set up.

I'll update once I've spent some time with these changes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts