Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a little troubled by the behavior of the rns-850 with my nexus 6. I haven't tried other phones yet (no access to any right now), but for at least this pairing, I'm not able to complete any voice-activated phone calls.

This same phone worked just fine on the RCD-550 (or was it 510?) in the CC, and in currently in the nav unit on the MK7 GTI. On the Touareg - no dice.

Behavior I'm seeing:

• Use "Call $FIRST_NAME $LAST_NAME on CELL" as the command.
  • Phone finds the contact named, occasionally asking me to confirm if CELL or HOME.
  • The result when finalizing the command is "No phone number is stored for this contact"
  • When verifying directory - the contact in question has a number stored.

I travel to Europe often enough, so all my numbers are prepended with +1 (or other appropriate country codes). I tried altering that, or removing Android's smartypants formatting of the number field, but nothing helps.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
1. Try deleting your pairing and then re-pair.

2. Are you able to manually retrieve a number using the RNS-850 (no voice)?

3. When I use the steering wheel button to pull up a contact: 'Call Jane Doe', the screen will show the contact if there are multiple numbers. If there is a single number, it will just call the contact.

4. I do not think the +1 prefix matters (not sure about country codes, though).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Try deleting your pairing and then re-pair.
I tried this, but now that you called it out, I realized one thing I didn't do is delete on both sides - I'll remove from my phone as well this time and see if that's the issue.

2. Are you able to manually retrieve a number using the RNS-850 (no voice)?
That's what made it odd to me - I can look up people in directory just fine. If I manually type in the number, it associates it to the contact...

3. When I use the steering wheel button to pull up a contact: 'Call Jane Doe', the screen will show the contact if there are multiple numbers. If there is a single number, it will just call the contact.
Typically, it'll go straight to "there is no number for this contact..." but if I'm unclear, or don't specify - that's another interesting thing. It gives me the option of selecting home or work, for instance, where "1" is home, "2", work - and if I say "1" or say "home", it then comes back and says there's no number. It's right there on screen though!

As for #4, I didn't think so either, but it was a quick 30s test I was able to do to verify. I can't rule out it being my phone causing all this either.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
For the last item, I either touch the line on the screen or say the number (1, 2, or 3) instead of (mobile, home or work). My voice prompt asks me to say the 'line', too.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
If you're trying to voice-activate call while your unit is in navigation mode, it'll be looking for a phone # associated with this navigation entry. And if there is nothing saved in navigation, you'll get a message like you've described. For an instance, when you're looking for a restaurant in navigation mode, and the unit finds it - you can place a call to the restaurant and make a reservation without a need to dial their number manually or by dictation. So this is this kind of operation. At least it was my experience with similar messages. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey all,

Just to close the loop on this...

I had to reset the unit completely. I noticed I wasnt able to remove my phone entry for some strange reason, and the dynaudio settings were acting wonky too.

Microsofted it, and it magically works

1 - 6 of 6 Posts