Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Appalled at the satnav in my 2012 Treg. My plug-in ALDI satnav does a far better job - and tells me where speed camera's are located (important & not in the Treg).

I'd like to be able to update to a Garmin system.

I went to the local VW pricegouger (sorry, dealer) to ask what the current version of the satnav only to be told "For $90 we'll read your car and update if needs be".

I also asked what is required to update to a Garmin system - yep, "we don't know about that".

I've learnt that Garmin has a pc app that reads the software and can offer replacements.

Does anyone know:

1/. how to determine the number of the latest RNS 850 satnav version? I can read mine, but I don't know if it's the latest.

2/. what is required to replace the 'standard' VW stanav (a Garmin offering) with the latest Garmin offering?

Cheers

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
5,800 Posts
Fair call. Rns510 in my v10 shows cameras etc- no beeps/alerts though but rns850 doesnt- step backwards indeed.
I think aftermarket will always rule and be miles ahead of the conservative approach many car manufacturers and especially vw take. Shame.
I bought my v8 in july so assume it has the latest version of hw and sw you can compare against this perhaps

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe the latest is V711, read below post, the latest update is in a link in the last few pages.
Thanks.

I suppose I'm really looking to replace the VW data with Garmin data.

I am thinking I need to hook my pc up to the rns 850, or - ideally - use an SD card to download the rns 850 data and take that to my pc to 'update' with genuine Garmin data.

Can anyone advise whether my assumption is correct, and if so, offer advice...

Or, advise how to update.

Cheers

·
Registered
903 Posts
The first thing you should know about the RNS 850 system is that it is the same as the Audi MMI 3G Plus system. You should research that system as there is more information on what you can and can not achieve.
The RNS 850 is a locked protected unit, that is the software can't be copied and replaced. That problem you will find in system and map updates.
Many on this forum and other world forums (see My Treg in the UK for example) have been trying for years.
At the end of the day VW have produced a suitable head unit which has the ability to control many functions, however the actual mapping set up is way behind any of the big satnav providers (Navman, Tom Tom or Garmin). All amount of talking and writing to VW won't change what the Touareg has installed until we see the new generation of models. That is even more bad news for current models systems.

There are a few ways around improving your mapping data - 1. activate google earth or 2. mount an after market unit with all the bells and whistles.

Google earth is possible but expensive (the wrong side of $1k) and requires some after market work by someone who knows what they are doing.

An after market unit is cheap (like dinner for two costs), easy mounted, has multiple map updates, POI inputs, plus features the VW/Audi system could only dream of in a few years time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts