Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just purchased my 2016 Touareg last weekend, upgraded from a 2012 GTI Autobahn. I opted for the Lux edition and I am loving all of the features and having a bigger vehicle. However, I am running into some issues with the head unit. I have the RNS 850 and I'm having two issues:

1. All of a sudden in the last two days when I start my car it takes a very long time to startup the radio. The sounds starts right away, but I get a "Starting SIRIUS radio" message on the screen that sometimes will not go away for several minutes. Anyone else experienced this and any fix for it? It did not do this the first few days I owned the vehicle.

2. In my GTI's head unit I used to be able to set a maximum startup volume for the radio. I cannot find a setting for this in all of my digging and reading and it's super annoying. I have to remember to turn down my volume prior to shutting off my car or I'll be blasted as soon as I turn my car on the next time. And sometimes it seems to be louder than I had it before I got out of my car. Again, anyone have a fix for this?

Any and all help/advice is greatly appreciated for a new Touareg owner. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Typical of the RNS 850 on my 2012. Only trick I've found is to leave on an AM or FM station when turning off vehicle. Something to do with the boot sequence and Satellite is near bottom.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh that might explain why it didn't do it the first few days. I hadn't messed with SIRIUS, only FM, and it seemed to startup right away. Here's a photo just for reference, but it seems you suffer from same issues as I do. Thanks for the heads up here.

Any idea on the startup volume? Is there a way to set that?

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I think startup volume is at the level you had when the ignition is turned off...not positive. You can check the settings...might be next to the speed-dependent setting.

Reactions: Suzuki16

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh. Ok. That's sad coming from a car that's 4 years old and had a Maximum Startup Volume setting. Oh well. Just have to remember to turn it down. Thank you both for the input here. I am very glad to be a part of this great community.

Also just for anyone else that comes across this thread's reference, fincher was right, if I change to FM the radio screen starts up right away, if I leave it on XM it takes extra time to load when starting up the car.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I could've sworn that I'd seen something in the green menu that allowed you to set the max startup volume on the RNS-850 but couldn't find it last night when I was poking around. I will be sure to look again and see if I can locate it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yup, this is one of my top gripes with the car. If you happen to leave it turned up and stop the car, you're greeted with a volume that doesn't respond to volume controls while it does its Windows 95-esque speed boot sequence.

You will also find in the winter you can't get to the climate control menu for the first minute or so of the car due to the same stupidity.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I am truly shocked that I seemed to have gone backwards in technology of head units from my 2012 GTI on a 4 year newer car. 1sr world problems I guess. lol

·
Registered
481 Posts
The 850 was likely designed in 2009 for a 2010 production run for the first 2011s and hasn't been updated since. Your GTI was designed a year later in 2010/2011. So, technically, your GTI was newer tech. :)

That being said, I've had radios with minimum turn on levels since the mid 90's. It's not a new feature and should absolutely be on the 850.

-Kevin

·
Registered
132 Posts
It is a pretty poor piece of kit for a top of the line car - it's basically functional but so feature-light, dated and slow. Every time the new model year comes out I'm surprised they don't replace or at least update it. Even a whole bunch of Hyundais just got retrospective upgrades to CarPlay and all that fun stuff and my wife's 2015 Sportwagon has an awesome basic radio that outdoes my 2014 Exec on most counts including responsiveness. The only redeeming feature for me is Dynaudio - once it's started and we're rolling, I love the sound.

My guess is VW are holding back on a new model until the next-gen Treg so they have another major feature they can highlight - no doubt it will have all the bells and whistles - speed, slickness, Google maps, CarPlay etc etc. Ho hum.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My guess is VW are holding back on a new model until the next-gen Treg so they have another major feature they can highlight - no doubt it will have all the bells and whistles - speed, slickness, Google maps, CarPlay etc etc. Ho hum.
Definitely in agreement here. I'm sure it will be right inline with what the new Q7s have. I test drove one a few weeks ago and the entertainment tech was top notch.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Agree it's a little dated but very functional. Sirius should sound better on it. Overall, I think the interface is clean and simple but it now lacks some features. Not surprised about lack of Car Play...will be much better on next-gen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Agree it's a little dated but very functional. Sirius should sound better on it. Overall, I think the interface is clean and simple but it now lacks some features. Not surprised about lack of Car Play...will be much better on next-gen.
Yea. Overall I am happy with it's functionality, bluetooth connection, etc. It's just really annoying and semi-embarrassing when I have someone in my brand new car and they ask why we've been driving for 3-4 minutes and my head unit still says it's starting up (although it's clearly playing music).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts