Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2010 Sportwagen TDI. It has the RCD 510 stereo. I use a USB hard drive with the MDI cable as my music source. I have my whole music library copied to it, about 6200 songs. It works great.

Earlier this year we upgraded our 2nd vehicle to a 2012 Touareg TDI with the RNS 850 system. I hooked my HD that works fine with my RCD 510 up to the RNS 850 and it only allows me to access about 1/2 my music files. I had a look in the manual and it confirmed that the RNS 850 is only capable of playing the first 3000 or so files with the removable media (SD cards, USB hard drive, etc.). Sorry I cannot be more exact right now, my wife's out with the T'reg.

Is there a good way to overcome this limitation? Is there an update to the RNS 850 that expands the number of files it can access? It seems odd to me that the older, less capable RCD 510 can handle my music collection but the RNS 850 cannot.

· Registered
1,363 Posts
If your RNS-850 is running the original factory software, there is an update for it. The update fixes a problem with HD Radio. It probably fixes other issues too but I've never seen a comprehensive list. I'd talk to a dealer about updating and go from there.

· Registered
20 Posts
I just bought 2011 and I'm having the same issue. I think I'll try the sealer route and have them upodate the radio software, and while I'm at, Adblue stuff too.

· Registered
107 Posts
I too moved from the RNS-510 in a 2010 JSW TDI and have been nothing but disappointed with the RNS-850 in my 2012 Touareg. I've had the HD radio update applied, but have not noticed any difference since. The main thing that still irks me everytime I use my media on my hd in my RNS-850 is that it lumps everything together by the artist/album names associated with each file, where as on the RNS-510 I could put files in certain folders and it would just read the files where I put them. And VW couldn't care less that I dislike that or the lack of a Sirius Travel Link feature that is available even on the Tiguan of all things.

· Registered
20 Posts
The way I see it, if I can't put on one jump drive, I'll put on two. While irritating, its not that much pof a chore. Either that, or I'll get a 16 gig jump drive, and cull my music accordingly, but I'll still try the dealer route.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...I've had the HD radio update applied, but have not noticed any difference since...
Thanks for that. Disappointing news. I like that I can just keep my music directories on my PC and the hard drive for my RNS-510 synced with each other. Takes a couple minutes every couple of months to update my collection in the car.

Looks like with the RNS-580 I'm going to have to manually cull my collection down to the top 3000 songs. It's not that 3000 songs isn't enough. In fact it will likely make a great mixed playlist. It's just that it's a giant pain in the [email protected]@ to go through 6000+ songs and chop that list down to 3000, then keep the list maintained as new stuff gets added. Frankly, in 2012, that kind of limitation is really inexcusable.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have over 40,000 files on my 1TB drive that I use in my 2010 Touareg with RNS 510. I have two main folders: Artists and Playlists. Within the Artists folder, I have a subfolder for each artist and a subfolder for each album. It's nice having my entire music library easily accessible in the car.

The playlists are .wpl and I only had to edit to change the source attributes for each track to reflect the folder structure on the new hard drive:
<media src="..\Artists\Portishead\Dummy\Portishead - Dummy - 02 - Sour Times.mp3" albumTitle="Dummy" albumArtist="Portishead" trackTitle="Sour Times" trackArtist="Portishead" duration="254026" />

· Registered
3,794 Posts
I have over 40,000 files on my 1TB drive that I use in my 2010 Touareg with RNS 510. I have two main folders: Artists and Playlists. Within the Artists folder, I have a subfolder for each artist and a subfolder for each album. It's nice having my entire music library easily accessible in the car. The playlists are .wpl and I only had to edit to change the source attributes for each track to reflect the folder structure on the new hard drive: <media src="..\Artists\Portishead\Dummy\Portishead - Dummy - 02 - Sour Times.mp3" albumTitle="Dummy" albumArtist="Portishead" trackTitle="Sour Times" trackArtist="Portishead" duration="254026" />
That's about 20 years of listening....do you spend any time else where?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.