Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've been reading loads of helpful posts from members on here as I am new to Touareg's (Just bought a UK 2007 TDI v6) and I LOVE IT! What an amazing car.

I'm hoping someone can help me address a challenge with an RNS 510 which was retro-fitted today. I have a colour screen MFD that used to show the navigation directions when in Nav mode but now doesn't since i installed the 510 today. How can I fix this? Do I need a VCDS cable or similar?

Also strangely the CD player (6 cd changer in boot) sounded terrible after the install. That is until I plugged my mp3 player in via the 3.5mm jack in the arm rest. If I take the jack out it sounds rubbish again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
My God,it's full of stars
5,765 Posts
Problem is you have a Canbus 1.6 and the 510 needs Canbus 2.0 . Do a search on this plenty written up on it.

siberian

·
Learner
4,676 Posts
Appears you have facelift model,which runs cambus 2.
From my experience you need to enable it via vagcom and swap cd changer wires around as per schematic on unit to remove distortion

·
5,765 Posts
I wasn't aware the 07s had Canbus 2.0. I believe it's only 2008 and up. AFAIK, you have Nav on Can 1.6 in the MFD but when you go to the 510 it's a different ballgame and requires Canbus 2.0 See post above to upgrade. Good luck

siberian

·
5,765 Posts
Well my V8 has serial number 507 and came out in April 2007 but is a 2008. Is this what you mean? A low serial number 08 built in 07?

If it is then yes, he has Canbus 2.0, if it's a 2007 Touareg it has 1.6. Let's leave T1 and T2 out of it as it's confusing since that person is in Europe and ... see relevant discussions.

siberian

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Europe and the ROW got facelift versions as 07 MY, the 08 MY facelift was a North America only thing...I think it was a VWoA marketing trick at the time :)

An easy way to tell if this is a canbus version issue is to try the steering wheel buttons...do they work? if so your problem is elsewhere, of not its the canbus version difference everyone is talking about.

Smashrobot, did your Treg originally come with an MFD2 nav? if so Some of the 08 V10 guys on here have done MFD2 to RNS510 conversions, I didn't read up on it much but there could be some secrets unlocked for you in some of those threads...I remember reading about the CD changer trick that Singh mentions in some of those threads, but seriously? CD changer? Why not just pull out your portable cassette deck and your Betamax vcr ;)

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Actually I meant RNS2 not MFD2, but yes correct DVD nav not CD nav (which I think is technically called RNS)

·
5,765 Posts
That's easier for folks to remember. CD you have Canbus 1.6, DVD you have 2.0 and that way we don't bother with face lifts and other body parts.

siberian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guys, really appreciate the advice.

I was looking at the canshack canbus but I read somewhere that if my MFD is colour and I have 07 UK Touareg (facelift model) then I should have 2.0 anyway- so thats why I proceeded anyway.

The sat nav I took out was a RNS2 (I think)- (7L6 035 177 E) but I use nav a lot and wanted the touch screen and HD storage of the RNS 510. The Steering wheel buttons still work as before however the nav directions dont appear when I cycle through my screen options.

Singh - I think you may have nailed this one, so I'll give it a go. I dont have a vagcom cable or software so hoping my VW dealer can help otherwise its ebay again! Is it straightforward? I've seen VCDS cables for £7 right up to £399 so is there a particular type I need?

Would this one do what I need? : eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Hoping to sort out some other mods- better speakers and a rear camera when this is working. CD's may be old school but they still sound way better than mp3's! :)

·
Learner
4,676 Posts
unsure if this cable will work.. i've only ever used the Ross Tech cable/software....its only 8 bucks so nothing to lose i guess.
if both, volume and track buttons on the steering work then its definitely canbus 2 and all you need is a recode.
all the best and keep us posted.

·
Learner
4,676 Posts
actually this cable wont work....as per the details on the ebay listing...
"This cable can not work if your car uses a protocol/bus system like VPW, PWM or CAN-bus"

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
That's easier for folks to remember. CD you have Canbus 1.6, DVD you have 2.0 and that way we don't bother with face lifts and other body parts.

siberian
Not necessarily, the DVD nav appeared in both canbus 1.6 and 2.0..for example in North America the 05-07MY was DVD nav but canbus 1.6, the 08 MY was DVD nav but canbus 2.0.

The other parts of the world got the facelift version in 07, so they got DVD nav canbus 2.0, their 05-06 was DVD nav version 1.6

All CD nav (which appeared worldwide in 04/early 05) is all canbus 1.6

All RNS 510 in canbus 2.0

Clear as mud :) ?

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Thanks Guys, really appreciate the advice.

I was looking at the canshack canbus but I read somewhere that if my MFD is colour and I have 07 UK Touareg (facelift model) then I should have 2.0 anyway- so thats why I proceeded anyway.

The sat nav I took out was a RNS2 (I think)- (7L6 035 177 E) but I use nav a lot and wanted the touch screen and HD storage of the RNS 510. The Steering wheel buttons still work as before however the nav directions dont appear when I cycle through my screen options.

Singh - I think you may have nailed this one, so I'll give it a go. I dont have a vagcom cable or software so hoping my VW dealer can help otherwise its ebay again! Is it straightforward? I've seen VCDS cables for £7 right up to £399 so is there a particular type I need?

Would this one do what I need? : eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Hoping to sort out some other mods- better speakers and a rear camera when this is working. CD's may be old school but they still sound way better than mp3's! :)
Alright so this means you actually ARE in canbus 2.0 as we suspected...have you tried to reset your RNS 510? push the eject, day/night and top right button (i forget what it is) to reboot...your cluster should pick this up on its own...you shouold see a navigation menu and the compass should show up even if not navigating

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so tried a reset but had no affect on MFD situation so I guess I need a vag.. :giggle:

Good spot on that listing Singh! I'll go for the one recommended by Major and let you know how I get on, if we think that will work...

Its all pretty confusing for a newbie so really appreciating all the pointers!

Thanks again

SR

1 - 20 of 26 Posts