Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Testing to see if there's any interest. Got a perfectly working RNS 510 radio with nav maps for North America loaded.
30 GB hard drive and 32 GB SD slot capable.

Located in Montreal, Canada.

Looking for 600$ or best offer.

·
Registered
213 Posts
What firmware does it have?
Does that even matter? I went from my very old 2010 model year RNS510 to a brand new one out of Europe that’s a 2019 version with the SSD Hardrive and latest firmware.

Paid a boatload for it. And guess what, I don’t notice not a single difference. I was expecting shiny OS, super fast, not laggy, very quick into reverse camera, way more user friendly maps, you name it. And it’s almost as if I’m still in my old 2010 version. Been using it 3 weeks now and so badly want to return it but it’s not worth the hassle.

Now the OP here is selling theirs for $600. A very good deal compared to what I paid for mine. Wish this one came up for sale sooner. Or better yet, should’ve never got rid of my 2010 RNS and tried the whole Android route. Costly mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,620 Posts
Does that even matter? I went from my very old 2010 model year RNS510 to a brand new one out of Europe that’s a 2019 version with the SSD Hardrive and latest firmware.

Paid a boatload for it. And guess what, I don’t notice not a single difference. I was expecting shiny OS, super fast, not laggy, very quick into reverse camera, way more user friendly maps, you name it. And it’s almost as if I’m still in my old 2010 version. Been using it 3 weeks now and so badly want to return it but it’s not worth the hassle.

Now the OP here is selling theirs for $600. A very good deal compared to what I paid for mine. Wish this one came up for sale sooner. Or better yet, should’ve never got rid of my 2010 RNS and tried the whole Android route. Costly mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not all firmware upgrades will provide a new user interface, nor do they actually show an increase in operating speed. Most times (certainlt with the RNS0 they will be updates that address errors that the firmware keeps coming up with that requires the software code to keep hitting it's head against the proverbial.

Did you address your expectations re firmware update with the provider, or assume it would be all different and faster than the speed of light? Expectations are not worth anything until they have been confirmed or guaranteed.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Not all firmware upgrades will provide a new user interface, nor do they actually show an increase in operating speed. Most times (certainlt with the RNS0 they will be updates that address errors that the firmware keeps coming up with that requires the software code to keep hitting it's head against the proverbial.

Did you address your expectations re firmware update with the provider, or assume it would be all different and faster than the speed of light? Expectations are not worth anything until they have been confirmed or guaranteed.
Surprised to hear that we shouldn't expect quicker operation. With that being said, is there some sort of way to make it not only boot up faster but also switch into Reverse camera quicker? Having to sometimes wait 3-5 seconds is horrible and I'm not sure if an aftermarket camera would make a difference in speed.

Secondly, yes I did address my expectations with the seller in U.K. who mentioned I am buying something which is 2 generations newer than those built in 2010. Plus, here is what their eBay description says for my exact model:

Volkswagen RNS 510 MFD3 / LED High Definition / SSD!!! /TOUCH SCREEN / DVD navigation system

Faster SSD drive compared to older model HDD version

USA version, Latest model RNS 510 With SSD drive for VW Touareg

With USA maps

1573585084598.png

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The firmware is the latest one for this generation unit by Continental, 1140 NAR
And yeah i had experienced the later models too (not in touareg) but same internals and they're not that much faster sadly, even with SSD and all the bells and whistles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts