Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2008 Touareg Base

I have searched left right up and down. Can’t seem to find an answer.
All rear bulbs are working when lights are on. Just changed both brake light bulbs when driver side burned out 2 weeks ago.

Dash says ”check rear brake light function”

driver side brake lights come on when brake pedal pressed.

passenger side does not.

checked the fuses, can’t really get a clear answer on what fusebox is which, about 4 different fuse configurations on different websites for the same car, and none labeled as brake light fuse.

any ideas?

· Premium Member
556 Posts
Hi HoroloG
sometimes the wires in the top part of the rear hatch get broken from years and years of use. This wire issue can make it appear that your brake light bulb is burned out or only works occasionally. Another cause could be the bulb is not seated properly OR is wrong bulb.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
erWin - pay and download information specific to your vehicle instead of random stuff you find on websites
Hi HoroloG
sometimes the wires in the top part of the rear hatch get broken from years and years of use. This wire issue can make it appear that your brake light bulb is burned out or only works occasionally. Another cause could be the bulb is not seated properly OR is wrong bulb.
The lights are getting voltage, they are on as running lights. Both the trunk/lid light and the body side of the light.
But they won’t get brighter with brakes pressed in. So the hatch wiring appears to be ok nor the culprit, I guess I’ll just have to take this POS to the dealer. All the fuses are fine. Bulbs work as well and are brand new.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
SOLVED

Decided to swap the physical tail light units from driver to passenger side.

brake light problem followed the assembly…now reversed.

pulled the “circuit plate” out of the passenger side assembly, bulb sockets were corroded.
Cleaned out with a wire dremel tool. Had to reclean it twice to get the brake lights to work.
Being a dual filament bulb, it has 3 contacts, one for each filament and the ground.

Running light contact wasn’t corroded enough to prevent function. Only the break filament contact was.

temporary fix, will need to replace the lens/taillight assembly to prevent moisture from seeping in and causing corrosion.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Save yourself the headache and sell it to me for $1kUSD.

We don't care about brake lights in NM. I'll give it a loving home.
Don’t tempt me lol

Fwiw it has the following problems:

Cruise control works intermittently (needs new switch, some $300?)
Rear hatch doesn’t open/lift (need to remove and inspect hydraulic motor…refill or replace $10/400?. After removing rear seat and cutting out the carpet/pad to get to it)
Hatch glass needs new struts ($45 for one or each I can’t remember. Then a half day to pull out the headliner and pillar covers to replace them)
Hatch latch is broken (two nuts and need to remove bumper ?)
Passenger headlight zip tied in place because clips are broken ($600?)
Airbag fault (wiring under seats? No idea what that’ll cost yet)
Mirror motors broken (haven’t priced replacements yet)
Glove box door has about 100 more uses before falling off
Both tail lamps are cracked
Speakers blown
Replace rear ashtray
Replace rear cup holders
Replace passenger side rear window regulator
Replace radio (now falling out of dash)
Replace washer fluid tubing
Paint is about to start peeling from hood and quarter panels
Paint is peeling off of roof
Replace missing spare tire and jack
Replace missing brake wear indicators
Repair sunroof (non operational)
Replace 4 door lock actuators so we don’t have to point on doors to open them

currently paying off the rest of $6k loan for it

· Registered
2008 Touareg V8
450 Posts
You can get a lot of those parts from another Touareg at a salvage yard at a much much cheaper price and if it thing don't work, you can always return it back, at least that's how it is here.
That is quite a list!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts