Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great Post and should be useful for those looking to purchase. We have been absolutely over the moon with our new Touareg CR. Sadly no map based speed limits display in our HUD! (As Singh already knows). Other comments...
  • HUD disappears (or extremely hard to view even in snow mode) when wearing Polarized Sunglasses
  • Some settings obscure in the menu settings such as
    • Auto folding in of rear view mirrors when locking car (can be set individually within each driver profile)
    • Feature where you can hold the lock on either door handle or remote to close mirrors and sunroof / feature also allows to open by holding down the unlock on remote
  • Read the manual!
    • As a first time VW owner, there are lots of standard VW features, but only be reading the manual do you uncover some of these such as
      • Tilting passenger rear mirror when reversing
      • Loading JPG/PNG images of the radio stations so your lovely screen doesn't have blank empty squares for each radio station (note, have the innovation package i.e. large screen. Disappointingly the logos are displayed quite small as they haven't catered in their software for the larger screen and are obviously sized for the smallest VW infotainment screen! (Arch!)
      • I'm sure there are other lots of Easter eggs buried within the manual (not the easiest to read - but then again, none of them are!)
  • So much tech, that after 2 months of ownership we are still coming to terms with it!
  • We love the look of our car - White body with chrome/black 20" wheels (standard launch edition) Privacy glass all round except for front windows which we got tinted. It is currently the best looking car on the road (IMO) and it gets lots of looks from Audi Q7 owners!
For those interested in purchasing...
I purchased a White CR Launch edition with Innovision and Sunroof package as well as a dealer fitted VW towbar. If I was purchasing now, I would purchase the following...
CR Premium, Sunroof and Sound & Comfort package. Why? Would cost slightly cheaper than the Launch Edition, but you would get. All of the Launch Edition extras (minus I think the massage front seats) plus Upgraded sound system (sub-woofer in boot), 360 deg camera view as well as heated rear seats and a BIGGER fuel tank 90ltrs up from 75ltrs (A must for those towing/touring).
Innovision pack? Well I have it and love it (maybe too strong a word... "like it") but is it really worth $8000? Probably not. Unfortunately the HUD is the most useful driving feature in this pack, but very hard to justify. (IMHO) - note: please do your own thorough research as this is based purely on my limited knowledge i.e don't take my word for it!

Lastly, I will head over shortly (one day) and post my finding/experience with towing. Towbar limits / Brake controllers and WDH (Weight Distribution Hitches).
I am not sure you can get the Sound and Comfort package without Innovation. I wanted that combo but no cars had that spec. The innovation is nice, but I didn’t see value in 8k for a big screen. Especially when I use CarPlay all the time and that massive screen only shows a cropped screen CarPlay window. But if you can get a good deal on the Innovation package (demo or when the car is older they will likely discount more) I think it’s a no brainer as it is cool.

·
Registered
56 Posts
HUD disappears (or extremely hard to view even in snow mode) when wearing Polarized Sunglasses

Lastly, I will head over shortly (one day) and post my finding/experience with towing. Towbar limits / Brake controllers and WDH (Weight Distribution Hitches).
Please do any info on towing would be greatly appreciated. It’s a pity we don’t get Tow Assist here and have to stick to Partner Assist (which makes for great entertainment in most caravan parks).
Re HUD this will be the case with most cars and it’s the case with my current BMW X1. I remember when getting my pilots license you were encouraged never to wear polarised glasses for its distortion on dials.
Speed limits would be very very handy displayed in the HUD and I’m sure someone smarter than me will figure it out one day.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am not sure you can get the Sound and Comfort package without Innovation. I wanted that combo but no cars had that spec.
That’s correct. If you want Sound and Comfort you need Innovation first. In other words you need to shell out $16k if you want a HUD and 360'° camera.

·
Learner
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Fantastic information here. After many years with Range Rovers I'm definitely about to jump ship. Still not sure wether to option the Innovision package but for me the air suspension is a must. Which leads me to comment on using a weight distribution hitch. Pretty sure the air suspension will not like that. Like the Range Rovers they are self levelling and will automatically maintain the standard ride height setting once the caravan or trailer is plugged in.
I tow a decent sized caravan as does my brother in law who is on his second Touareg and we have have found air suspension so much better for towing without the need for load levelling bars or similar devices. If the weight distribution is correct their will not be a problem. If you have a trailer, caravan or horse float with a sway problem you'd be better off fitting an anti sway bar.
So keep the information coming please, do I option the Innovision package or not?
Hi
RRs are nicely designed, looking vehicles for sure, but reliability, especially electronics is poor.
Know of several cases where in the velar and sport the dash flickers Nd gremlins appear.
Nothing is perfect for sure btw.

With air you don't need weight dist so all good there.
Without innovsion it's all too simple and lackluster, must have from my perspective

·
Learner
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Please do any info on towing would be greatly appreciated. It’s a pity we don’t get Tow Assist here and have to stick to Partner Assist (which makes for great entertainment in most caravan parks).
Re HUD this will be the case with most cars and it’s the case with my current BMW X1. I remember when getting my pilots license you were encouraged never to wear polarised glasses for its distortion on dials.
Speed limits would be very very handy displayed in the HUD and I’m sure someone smarter than me will figure it out one day.
Hi Matt,
The rear view cam in tow mode is pretty good to help with lining up and hitching.
It would be good to explore what other features can be added DIY.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi
RRs are nicely designed, looking vehicles for sure, but reliability, especially electronics is poor.
Know of several cases where in the velar and sport the dash flickers Nd gremlins appear.
Nothing is perfect for sure btw.

With air you don't need weight dist so all good there.
Without innovsion it's all too simple and lackluster, must have from my perspective

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree, I will miss the build quality of the RR, the Touareg is a little disappointing with hard plastic in places, flimsy glove box, etc but as they say Landrover have been turning drivers into mechanics for the last, what is it, 70 years and the GM gearbox on mine (same as an X5) has been out 3 times!
I still have a few months to decide what options to add and this discussion is helping no end.
To add another fly in the ointment the Light of my Darkness has decided that she cannot possibly live without a newer caravan which nowadays come with their own reversing camera and a seperate monitor. Now I'm not keen on bolting anything else on the dash, it will already need an electric brake controller which will probably be a Redarc added somewhere convenient. Has anyone information on wether it is possible when plugging in the trailer plug to view the caravan camera vision on the car reverse vision screen? The salesman at John Hughes in Perth couldn't answer that question. Another option may be an iPhone app if there is such a thing that is compatible with the caravan camera as I doubt it would be used that often and still better to have a spotter to avoid tree branches etc.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think Steve has a plan to connect in a camera on the back of his caravan to communicate directly to the RNS850 panel in his R Line T3, but not sure if that philosophy can flow through to the same effect in the CR model.

Having thought about an app on the phone, with Apple Carplay, is it possible this could mirror the video stream from a rear camera intoy the Innovision screen or the regular CR screen (if you didn't opt for the Innovision pack)?

Pete

·
Registered
19 Posts
I thought the newer models can work with your phone as the screen.

I actually think the harder wearing plastics on the lower door trims is a good thing. I am not sure why everyone frowns about this. Those areas are prone to scuff marks and damage. The price point of the Touareg is significantly cheaper than cars with squishy bits everywhere. Just my thoughts

·
Learner
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It would be good to have the screen split into two sections, one part showing rear view camera and the other rear view of the van....
Another project...

·
Learner
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I think Steve has a plan to connect in a camera on the back of his caravan to communicate directly to the RNS850 panel in his R Line T3, but not sure if that philosophy can flow through to the same effect in the CR model.

Having thought about an app on the phone, with Apple Carplay, is it possible this could mirror the video stream from a rear camera intoy the Innovision screen or the regular CR screen (if you didn't opt for the Innovision pack)?

Pete
That's for 7p, would be good to do it for CR

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes, indeed Singh, with the 7P Steve is confident it will work (though not yet implemented) but the CR is the question out there at the moment.

Pete

·
Registered
121 Posts
Curious Mind: Buy a pair of RayBan non-polarized sunglassess and you are good to go. The HUD issue is the same with every car make or model. Polarized glasses are no-no.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It would be good to have the screen split into two sections, one part showing rear view camera and the other rear view of the van....
Another project...
Let me know if you figure this out. Just bought the Premium CR and with a caravan that Would be heaven. Do you know how hard/easy it is to integrate caravan rear camera with Touareg monitor?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Learner
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Let me know if you figure this out. Just bought the Premium CR and with a caravan that Would be heaven. Do you know how hard/easy it is to integrate caravan rear camera with Touareg monitor?

Much to be determined, haven't gotten that far yet

·
Registered
264 Posts

Hi Gerard, I was keenly watching your progress and noting you just got your CR, that’s good. When you have a moment can you please photograph the pages in the owners manual where the towing information is contained to show the tabled info on vehicle/trailer weights/ball weight etc.

Did you get your tow bar fitted yet?

Look forward to a photo of the CR too.

Pete.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,936 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
GCM – 6310KG
Gross vehicle weight – 2810KG
Kerb Weight – 2040KG
Downball – 280KG (assuming 2 passengers) / 130KG (Fully loaded vehicle)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I thought the newer models can work with your phone as the screen.

I actually think the harder wearing plastics on the lower door trims is a good thing. I am not sure why everyone frowns about this. Those areas are prone to scuff marks and damage. The price point of the Touareg is significantly cheaper than cars with squishy bits everywhere. Just my thoughts
If only that were true, I've been drooling over a Launch which is as yet unsold in a local VW showroom and it already has deep scratches in the plastic, particularly around the rear vents above the tunnel. I'll be ensuring everyone removes their shoes and cuts their toe nails before getting in my new car! There are no scratches on my old Rangey squishy bits

·
Registered
21 Posts
Towing...

Unfortunately we missed our 3 week January Holiday on the NSW Sapphire Coast (Pambula Beach) due to the devastating bush fires both in VIC and NSW. However, we did get out car tow ready in time and did a test run with our 2010 Jayco Expanda (1600Kg unloaded) down Trafalgar South for Christmas.

• Firstly, we had our car fitted by dealer with tow kit - Wasn't our preference as it was loaded with luxury tax, but we needed it straight away. After market such as Hayman Reece should be available soon?
  • Secondly, we needed to have a brake controller fitted. For those in Melbourne, we used Bell Auto Electrical. Cannot speak highly enough of Dave. Ours was his first fitment of the RedArc Tow-Pro Elite brake controller to the Touareg CR and as such, he cleared his appointments for the day to fit ours. However, he has fitted many to earlier model Touareg's and plenty of Audi Q7 etc...The control nob was fitted to the right of the steering wheel, but not in an obvious position (or ideal - such as the blank switch with the lights) as Dave discovered there isn't much room behind the dash, its jam packed with goodies. He was impressed with the new CR model and it played nice with the brake controller without the added cost of extra wiring components that most European cars need fitted with all the latest safety features (sorry, cannot elaborate on the technical jargon but saved around $220) The Control Nob isn't very obtrusive, but depending on the steering wheel adjustment and my seating position, isn't the ideal position from a driver visibility perspective. His workmanship cannot be faulted. No scratches or marks and he cloth taped all his wiring to ensure no rattles will occur from the installation.
  • The rear cross traffic alert gets disabled as soon as you attach your trailer/caravan (which makes perfect sense) and disables the rear reversing senses as well.
  • The guided rear camera for hooking up the trailer is close to perfection when the standard ball position is so close to the rear bumper. (probably just as well as its very tight and the last thing you want to do is put the trailer hitch through the rear bumper!)
  • When dropping the trailer weight onto the tow ball the rear air suspension kicks in and self levels the car.
  • We have always had level riders or WDH. I initially contacted a well known caravan servicing center and inquired about WDH and air suspension. Whilst I don't want to get into any long discussions on the ins and outs, the advice I was given was that even with air suspension, they still provide a benefit by distributing weight to the front axle, something that air suspension won't do. I also wrote to VW Australia who responded with absolutely no advise or information, however during my investigations I found in 3 separate locations within the owners manual (including the Australian supplement (see above Steve_L post). Stating clearly not to use them! So whilst they have provided me with a high level of confidence and have worked well in the past, it was time to move on... No WDH!
  • Towing our Jayco Expanda yielded around 13-14ltrs/100km (I was hoping for slightly better but was similar to our previous tow vehicle 2010 2.2ltr Diesel Kia Sorrento Platinum)
  • Massive difference around town towing - The Touareg could take off at lights in keeping with regular traffic. Absolutely no noticeable load. Same again on the open road. The Kia Sorrento would buck and take time to settle over bumps (probably contributed by WDH). Whereas the air suspension on the Touareg is oh so plush!
  • We are really looking forward to a bigger trip down the track and would like to test it at speed on windy country roads to get a real feel for it's full capability.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts