Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Learner
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Been thinking about sharing my experience and thoughts on the latest 2019 CR Touareg for a while now, finally got some time so here it is. Review is based upon driving the new Touareg over last three months, mostly on road and some dirt track but no the usual low gear off road stuff I sometimes get into.

Lets start with the key, as its the first experience before you get to the Touareg,its slimmer than ever before, easier to put it in the pocket and forgetting it, rather than the bulge from the previous gen keys. Does the key feel and look premium, hmm, it could be better.

Walking up to the car, I like the look of it, the grey black combo or the blue black combo is nice. The car unlocks quickly as you grab the handle, no delay.

SEATING
Next the seats, super comfy, love the heating/cooling with massage function, easy to get to by pressing the centre button on the side of the seat buttons, brings up the menu onscreen to change massage function, setting. Massage is available for passenger but not in the rear. Rear leg room etc is more than before and again its comfortable. and they do recline too.
some talk about the longevity of the leather with the massage function but its so good that I couldnt care less :) i guess time will tell how well the leather holds.
rear passenger get window blinds now as well, see pictures. USB ports are handy in the back and front.

Driver seat adjustment along with steering reach is great, very comfortable setup.

Entry and exit from the drivers seat is quite good, again the best out out of all the models.

View out from the drivers seat is the best ever, it almost feels like towering over the bonnet like in a range rover, again i like it.

DISPLAY/NAV
Less switches around as you see from pics, btw the big nav screen is a little far away for me and I dont have long arms, could have been closer i reckon. I can reach the nav buttons easily in my 2015 V8 but here i have to edge the back off the seat.
Get used to the button less vehicle, more menus, etc, but essentials are easy accessible and the massive screen can be customised to have favs.
Nav/maps works well, same as your phone scroll pinch zoom etc, pretty slick.
The centre MFI screen is changeable too, use the view button or the menu to have different settings.
Screen senses the fingers coming close and changes the layout to help press the right buttons.

Offroad and other settings can be customised as preferred. roll pitch sensors show the angles now, which we never had.

The HUD is nice, and again you can change its placement and the data it shows, inc map based speed limits, I know some folks dont have this in their Touaregs.

Only issue I experienced was the sun glare can light up the HUD box and it reflects a bit on the windscreen, only on certain angles though.

Good for the Touareg to have HUD finally!

Apple Android play works well so no complaints, could be wireless though, like the pad area on the back of the gear lever where you can charge your phone wirelessly and the dash will remind you to take your phone with you, incase you forgot it was there in that hole.

All sorts of driver settings can be saved to the key and under a profile in the nav.

Front/side assist feature is cool, at an intersection it sees left and right and moniors traffic either side and displays red or green boxes alerting the driver of oncoming cars, cool.

We now have oil temp back in the Touareg! Just scroll into driving data and see the oil or water temps.

LIGHTING
ambient lighting with many colors ofcourse, lights everywhere, inc the side pockets in the doors.
Sweeping indicators and lights are nice, headlights do a great work lighting it all up. They are matrix and have over a hundered individual lights in it to control the throw and where it lights up. You can see the blocks lightup as you drive around.
This is different tech to the Touaregs so far where the lamps swivelled.
DRLs are quite bright too.
Interior lighting can be individually controlled for brightness.

ENGINE
Fire up the engine with the start button or key and its super quiet, nvh levels are so low! engine and drive is bloody smooth. Plenty of grunt and power in the v6 and delivery is smooth and its pretty quick off the mark.
Lift the bonnet and you'll notice two latches now lock it down rather than the one we're used to. Engine bay is clean and good on the eyes, havent looked deep into wheres what and how easy it would be for DIY in future.
The two air intakes are right on top going into the back of the front centre grille, higher than ever before.

TRANSMISSION
I understand the transmission is made of aluminium now, which makes it super lightweight and so silent, almost an electric car like feeling.
The gear lever is no longer a mechanical one, its all shift by wire, first for the Touareg, so press a button on it to park or shift slightly for D etc.
Shifts are smooth as, power available throughout, sport mode ofcourse makes it more sporty as it has been in previous models.
I like what vw have done with the light weight transmission making it so quite and refined.

SUSPENSION
The 48v based air suspension is so comfortable, great job vw! even in sport or comfort it doesnt wallow, its constantly monitoring and making adjustments, love it. Go through a corner and its like a car and plush.nice work!
shift the suspension to high or low, its quick to achieve the result.
Riding on 20 inch wheels it eats most potholes still, I found the new CR model very comfortable so anyone with bad back will love it.

AIR CON
All good here, one key difference to get used to is the centre vent is no longer there as the massive screen takes the real estate. theres a vent below it and another on top of the dash. So get used to this change in the Touareg. Felt different for me for sure.
Another cool feature is the system detects if someone is sitting on the passenger seat and then starts the air con in that area, see the pic.

BOOT
Boot is the largest every, the partition now is electric and goes up and down as you open the boot, nice touch. space saver and bits are under the floor as usual and plenty of space for other bits. No halogens there either, all LED lighting it up.
Theres buttons there to lower rear suspension and fold seats.

STEERING
Btw another first, the touareg now has electric steering so it helps keep you in between the lanes and of course helps with parking etc. All up its balanced very well and no pull to the left :)
I love how it assist in driving normally, the slight corrections to keep you centered.

TOWING
One concern is re the ball weight and the new laws, see my other post on it, hopefully this can be clarified by vw. So a watchout for those planning to buy it to pull heavy boats or vans.
With additional people in the back the label states that the ball weight is lower, which makes sense, but this is the first time such a label has been explicity applied.
Sadly, as the engine variant/power goes up the ball weight goes down. The V8, being the most powerful engine to pull anything has the least ball weight. WTH! Not happy with this one.

All up there are improvements everywhere, steering, transmission, noise levels, technology, lighting, ambience, comfort, etc etc.
Would i buy one? sure, waiting for the V8 :)... though this ball weight issue is disappointing.

Hope this is review is useful to some. Like i said most of my driving was in town in traffic or on motorways where I loved driving it. in heavy traffic the lane assist with traffic assist helps. its smoother than ever before.

Jumping back into my 2015 V8 Touareg makes it feel cramped inside and the screen look tiny, thats how spacious the interior is of the CR. The dash is big wide and it feels roomier.

What I dont like...the volume, track change switches for example, kinda plasticky and feel cheap. The touch screen is great and very responsive but would be good to have haptic.
Other than that its a great ride. I'll add some bits as I recall and experience more of it, hopefully off road... here are the associated pics....

·
Learner
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Learner
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the comprehensive review. How do you get the map based speed limit in the overhead display? I have found it is easier to read if you choose the snow setting for the HUD. Cheers Ian

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi,

Been thinking about sharing my experience and thoughts on the latest 2019 CR Touareg for a while now, finally got some time so here it is. Review is based upon driving the new Touareg over last three months, mostly on road and some dirt track but no the usual low gear off road stuff I sometimes get into.

Lets start with the key, as its the first experience before you get to the Touareg,its slimmer than ever before, easier to put it in the pocket and forgetting it, rather than the bulge from the previous gen keys. Does the key feel and look premium, hmm, it could be better.

Walking up to the car, I like the look of it, the grey black combo or the blue black combo is nice. The car unlocks quickly as you grab the handle, no delay.

SEATING
Next the seats, super comfy, love the heating/cooling with massage function, easy to get to by pressing the centre button on the side of the seat buttons, brings up the menu onscreen to change massage function, setting. Massage is available for passenger but not in the rear. Rear leg room etc is more than before and again its comfortable. and they do recline too.
some talk about the longevity of the leather with the massage function but its so good that I couldnt care less :) i guess time will tell how well the leather holds.
rear passenger get window blinds now as well, see pictures. USB ports are handy in the back and front.

Driver seat adjustment along with steering reach is great, very comfortable setup.

Entry and exit from the drivers seat is quite good, again the best out out of all the models.

View out from the drivers seat is the best ever, it almost feels like towering over the bonnet like in a range rover, again i like it.

DISPLAY/NAV
Less switches around as you see from pics, btw the big nav screen is a little far away for me and I dont have long arms, could have been closer i reckon. I can reach the nav buttons easily in my 2015 V8 but here i have to edge the back off the seat.
Get used to the button less vehicle, more menus, etc, but essentials are easy accessible and the massive screen can be customised to have favs.
Nav/maps works well, same as your phone scroll pinch zoom etc, pretty slick.
The centre MFI screen is changeable too, use the view button or the menu to have different settings.
Screen senses the fingers coming close and changes the layout to help press the right buttons.

Offroad and other settings can be customised as preferred. roll pitch sensors show the angles now, which we never had.

The HUD is nice, and again you can change its placement and the data it shows, inc map based speed limits, I know some folks dont have this in their Touaregs.

Only issue I experienced was the sun glare can light up the HUD box and it reflects a bit on the windscreen, only on certain angles though.

Good for the Touareg to have HUD finally!

Apple Android play works well so no complaints, could be wireless though, like the pad area on the back of the gear lever where you can charge your phone wirelessly and the dash will remind you to take your phone with you, incase you forgot it was there in that hole.

All sorts of driver settings can be saved to the key and under a profile in the nav.

Front/side assist feature is cool, at an intersection it sees left and right and moniors traffic either side and displays red or green boxes alerting the driver of oncoming cars, cool.

We now have oil temp back in the Touareg! Just scroll into driving data and see the oil or water temps.

LIGHTING
ambient lighting with many colors ofcourse, lights everywhere, inc the side pockets in the doors.
Sweeping indicators and lights are nice, headlights do a great work lighting it all up. They are matrix and have over a hundered individual lights in it to control the throw and where it lights up. You can see the blocks lightup as you drive around.
This is different tech to the Touaregs so far where the lamps swivelled.
DRLs are quite bright too.
Interior lighting can be individually controlled for brightness.

ENGINE
Fire up the engine with the start button or key and its super quiet, nvh levels are so low! engine and drive is bloody smooth. Plenty of grunt and power in the v6 and delivery is smooth and its pretty quick off the mark.
Lift the bonnet and you'll notice two latches now lock it down rather than the one we're used to. Engine bay is clean and good on the eyes, havent looked deep into wheres what and how easy it would be for DIY in future.
The two air intakes are right on top going into the back of the front centre grille, higher than ever before.

TRANSMISSION
I understand the transmission is made of aluminium now, which makes it super lightweight and so silent, almost an electric car like feeling.
The gear lever is no longer a mechanical one, its all shift by wire, first for the Touareg, so press a button on it to park or shift slightly for D etc.
Shifts are smooth as, power available throughout, sport mode ofcourse makes it more sporty as it has been in previous models.
I like what vw have done with the light weight transmission making it so quite and refined.

SUSPENSION
The 48v based air suspension is so comfortable, great job vw! even in sport or comfort it doesnt wallow, its constantly monitoring and making adjustments, love it. Go through a corner and its like a car and plush.nice work!
shift the suspension to high or low, its quick to achieve the result.
Riding on 20 inch wheels it eats most potholes still, I found the new CR model very comfortable so anyone with bad back will love it.

AIR CON
All good here, one key difference to get used to is the centre vent is no longer there as the massive screen takes the real estate. theres a vent below it and another on top of the dash. So get used to this change in the Touareg. Felt different for me for sure.
Another cool feature is the system detects if someone is sitting on the passenger seat and then starts the air con in that area, see the pic.

BOOT
Boot is the largest every, the partition now is electric and goes up and down as you open the boot, nice touch. space saver and bits are under the floor as usual and plenty of space for other bits. No halogens there either, all LED lighting it up.
Theres buttons there to lower rear suspension and fold seats.

STEERING
Btw another first, the touareg now has electric steering so it helps keep you in between the lanes and of course helps with parking etc. All up its balanced very well and no pull to the left :)
I love how it assist in driving normally, the slight corrections to keep you centered.

TOWING
One concern is re the ball weight and the new laws, see my other post on it, hopefully this can be clarified by vw. So a watchout for those planning to buy it to pull heavy boats or vans.
With additional people in the back the label states that the ball weight is lower, which makes sense, but this is the first time such a label has been explicity applied.
Sadly, as the engine variant/power goes up the ball weight goes down. The V8, being the most powerful engine to pull anything has the least ball weight. WTH! Not happy with this one.

All up there are improvements everywhere, steering, transmission, noise levels, technology, lighting, ambience, comfort, etc etc.
Would i buy one? sure, waiting for the V8 :)... though this ball weight issue is disappointing.

Hope this is review is useful to some. Like i said most of my driving was in town in traffic or on motorways where I loved driving it. in heavy traffic the lane assist with traffic assist helps. its smoother than ever before.

Jumping back into my 2015 V8 Touareg makes it feel cramped inside and the screen look tiny, thats how spacious the interior is of the CR. The dash is big wide and it feels roomier.

What I dont like...the volume, track change switches for example, kinda plasticky and feel cheap. The touch screen is great and very responsive but would be good to have haptic.
Other than that its a great ride. I'll add some bits as I recall and experience more of it, hopefully off road... here are the associated pics.... View attachment 235062 View attachment 235063 View attachment 235064 View attachment 235065 View attachment 235066 View attachment 235067 View attachment 235068 View attachment 235069 View attachment 235070 View attachment 235071
Wow great review agree with all your comments. I have test driven most brands up to $100isk. The Treg comes out on top followed by the X5 and then Discovery for ride quality and features. Some have nicer features like proximity lock unlock and road sign in the X5 and the Discovery seems to nail the towing however would only be able to afford the poverty pack and the rides not at good. The worst car I drove was the Lexus 🤮, for me it was dated and boat-like driving.
My biggest gripe with the Treg is no Road Sign detection and proximity lock/unlock (3rd world probs). Towball weight no issues for two guys and their dog (sounds like a scene out of Modern Family) in fact it’s a blessing for family members/friends that may want to join us along the trip.
As I’d like HUD and 360 cam I’ll have ticked 2 boxes and waiting on confirmation of 4 wheel steer in reverse before having to spend the price of a new golf in 3 options. 😤 as I’m getting white and no roof.
Thanks again Singh for your thoughts it helps justifying the decision. Do you think Road sign detection will be code thing that we could crack via code one day as I believe the camera is there (works OS as does night vision) with options I’m getting?? Also do you feel like the drivers side door arm rest was a bit far away? Although it’s something I’ll likely grow into once I retire.

·
Registered
17 Posts
…Also do you feel like the drivers side door arm rest was a bit far away?
Yeah. It is. You don’t sit central the the cockpit space or steering wheel. Your left leg is handled up against the transmission side wall and you do feel yourself leaning or shifting to the right sometimes.

The 4 wheel steering would be a. I’ve to have, I had a Mazda MX6 with it and it was fun but in the end was more problematic. Not to say that that technology has not come a long way, I’m sure it has, but I see it as just something else that can go wrong.

I love the matrix LED light last up front. I particularly like that you can throw the high beam to auto and it will switch to high by itself and when you approach on coming traffic, it will turn off the part of the throw to that side. Similarly, when you catch up to the car in front, it will turn that section of the high beam, but still show high beam either side. Clever!

I’d also liked to have seen soft close on the doors. You just don’t get that VW “clathunk” when the doors close fully and effortlessly. Instead, What you find is that the door partially closes and you have to reopen it and give it another go.

I too was hoping for the V8, but having done almost 4 months, the V6 has plenty of get up and go. I’m also enjoying the 1100 kms per tank!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah. It is. You don’t sit central the the cockpit space or steering wheel. Your left leg is handled up against the transmission side wall and you do feel yourself leaning or shifting to the right sometimes.

The 4 wheel steering would be a. I’ve to have, I had a Mazda MX6 with it and it was fun but in the end was more problematic. Not to say that that technology has not come a long way, I’m sure it has, but I see it as just something else that can go wrong.

I love the matrix LED light last up front. I particularly like that you can throw the high beam to auto and it will switch to high by itself and when you approach on coming traffic, it will turn off the part of the throw to that side. Similarly, when you catch up to the car in front, it will turn that section of the high beam, but still show high beam either side. Clever!

I’d also liked to have seen soft close on the doors. You just don’t get that VW “clathunk” when the doors close fully and effortlessly. Instead, What you find is that the door partially closes and you have to reopen it and give it another go.

I too was hoping for the V8, but having done almost 4 months, the V6 has plenty of get up and go. I’m also enjoying the 1100 kms per tank!
Thanks mate you make a few more good points Re negatives to 4 wheel steering.

Do you think Road sign detection and night vision will be something that can be accessed through coding if I get the sound/comfort that gives me 360 therefore front camera?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Singh,

Great review, I concur with your review after driving the new Touareg for some 7000km now including both on road and off road, it is so smooth off road. I had to drive a friend's Grand Cherokee on the weekend which I came out of and it really highlighted just how good the new Touareg is.

A question though is how are people hanging up from a phone when using Apple Car Play using the steering wheel controls?

·
Learner
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the comprehensive review. How do you get the map based speed limit in the overhead display? I have found it is easier to read if you choose the snow setting for the HUD. Cheers Ian
Didnt have to do anything, it was always there.
Will have to look further into this and see whats the difference between some models and whats different in the settings/coding.

·
Learner
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow great review agree with all your comments. I have test driven most brands up to $100isk. The Treg comes out on top followed by the X5 and then Discovery for ride quality and features. Some have nicer features like proximity lock unlock and road sign in the X5 and the Discovery seems to nail the towing however would only be able to afford the poverty pack and the rides not at good. The worst car I drove was the Lexus 🤮, for me it was dated and boat-like driving.
My biggest gripe with the Treg is no Road Sign detection and proximity lock/unlock (3rd world probs). Towball weight no issues for two guys and their dog (sounds like a scene out of Modern Family) in fact it’s a blessing for family members/friends that may want to join us along the trip.
As I’d like HUD and 360 cam I’ll have ticked 2 boxes and waiting on confirmation of 4 wheel steer in reverse before having to spend the price of a new golf in 3 options. 😤 as I’m getting white and no roof.
Thanks again Singh for your thoughts it helps justifying the decision. Do you think Road sign detection will be code thing that we could crack via code one day as I believe the camera is there (works OS as does night vision) with options I’m getting?? Also do you feel like the drivers side door arm rest was a bit far away? Although it’s something I’ll likely grow into once I retire.
agree, the ride is very good, vw have done really well here.

As for the speed camera data source, i'm certain we should be able to change it so it reads off the camera. will get to that at some point.
my vcds cable doesnt read the new modules so will have to invest in another.

·
Registered
32 Posts
agree, the ride is very good, vw have done really well here.

As for the speed camera data source, i'm certain we should be able to change it so it reads off the camera. will get to that at some point.
my vcds cable doesnt read the new modules so will have to invest in another.
How much are vcd cables?

·
Learner
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also do you feel like the drivers side door arm rest was a bit far away? Although it’s something I’ll likely grow into once I retire.
I actually feel centered, no problems with seating for me. the rest and the reach to the nav could be closer.

·
Learner
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Singh,

Great review, I concur with your review after driving the new Touareg for some 7000km now including both on road and off road, it is so smooth off road. I had to drive a friend's Grand Cherokee on the weekend which I came out of and it really highlighted just how good the new Touareg is.

A question though is how are people hanging up from a phone when using Apple Car Play using the steering wheel controls?
good question, I personally cant be bothered using a cable to connect to get carplay going so havent used it much. the nav is brilliant and the whole setup is entertaining, i refrain from using the mobile/apps whilst enjoying my drive :)
Is there an issue there using steering controls?

·
Learner
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much are vcd cables?
new one with all the bells and whistles ie unlimited is about $750 i think.
First one i bought ten years that i lost was about $350, second one was about $500

·
Registered
16 Posts
I sometimes use Waze and I might be mistaken but don’t think you can???

good question, I personally cant be bothered using a cable to connect to get carplay going so havent used it much. the nav is brilliant and the whole setup is entertaining, i refrain from using the mobile/apps whilst enjoying my drive :)
Is there an issue there using steering controls?

·
Learner
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I sometimes use Waze and I might be mistaken but don’t think you can???
yep waze is good, and use it sometimes, but am ok with the features the nav offers...and happy to have time off the mobile

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great Post and should be useful for those looking to purchase. We have been absolutely over the moon with our new Touareg CR. Sadly no map based speed limits display in our HUD! (As Singh already knows). Other comments...
  • HUD disappears (or extremely hard to view even in snow mode) when wearing Polarized Sunglasses
  • Some settings obscure in the menu settings such as
    • Auto folding in of rear view mirrors when locking car (can be set individually within each driver profile)
    • Feature where you can hold the lock on either door handle or remote to close mirrors and sunroof / feature also allows to open by holding down the unlock on remote
  • Read the manual!
    • As a first time VW owner, there are lots of standard VW features, but only be reading the manual do you uncover some of these such as
      • Tilting passenger rear mirror when reversing
      • Loading JPG/PNG images of the radio stations so your lovely screen doesn't have blank empty squares for each radio station (note, have the innovation package i.e. large screen. Disappointingly the logos are displayed quite small as they haven't catered in their software for the larger screen and are obviously sized for the smallest VW infotainment screen! (Arch!)
      • I'm sure there are other lots of Easter eggs buried within the manual (not the easiest to read - but then again, none of them are!)
  • So much tech, that after 2 months of ownership we are still coming to terms with it!
  • We love the look of our car - White body with chrome/black 20" wheels (standard launch edition) Privacy glass all round except for front windows which we got tinted. It is currently the best looking car on the road (IMO) and it gets lots of looks from Audi Q7 owners!
For those interested in purchasing...
I purchased a White CR Launch edition with Innovision and Sunroof package as well as a dealer fitted VW towbar. If I was purchasing now, I would purchase the following...
CR Premium, Sunroof and Sound & Comfort package. Why? Would cost slightly cheaper than the Launch Edition, but you would get. All of the Launch Edition extras (minus I think the massage front seats) plus Upgraded sound system (sub-woofer in boot), 360 deg camera view as well as heated rear seats and a BIGGER fuel tank 90ltrs up from 75ltrs (A must for those towing/touring).
Innovision pack? Well I have it and love it (maybe too strong a word... "like it") but is it really worth $8000? Probably not. Unfortunately the HUD is the most useful driving feature in this pack, but very hard to justify. (IMHO) - note: please do your own thorough research as this is based purely on my limited knowledge i.e don't take my word for it!

Lastly, I will head over shortly (one day) and post my finding/experience with towing. Towbar limits / Brake controllers and WDH (Weight Distribution Hitches).

·
Learner
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Personally I wouldnt buy it without the innovsion pack, it just doesn't do it without all that sitting in the driver's seat.
I will add my thoughts in time re the sound system, it's better than the 7P standard sound system for sure

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fantastic information here. After many years with Range Rovers I'm definitely about to jump ship. Still not sure wether to option the Innovision package but for me the air suspension is a must. Which leads me to comment on using a weight distribution hitch. Pretty sure the air suspension will not like that. Like the Range Rovers they are self levelling and will automatically maintain the standard ride height setting once the caravan or trailer is plugged in.
I tow a decent sized caravan as does my brother in law who is on his second Touareg and we have have found air suspension so much better for towing without the need for load levelling bars or similar devices. If the weight distribution is correct their will not be a problem. If you have a trailer, caravan or horse float with a sway problem you'd be better off fitting an anti sway bar.
So keep the information coming please, do I option the Innovision package or not?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts