Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold back my 2010 TDI Treg after 2.5 years and bought a 2013 TDI Treg with 81,000kms or about 50,000 miles.

First of all, I think the two generations are so different that the new T3 shouldn't be called a Treg anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love the way it drives/handles but it feels completely different. I did a couple of several hour round trips recently and it feels like a sports car. I didn't like it when people referred to my 2010 as a truck, but if anyone calls this one a truck I am going to have to protest. The extra power and weight loss of the 2013 makes it feel significantly more powerful where it effortlessly moves its weight around.

I pushed the speed past the legal limit and past the speed I normally cruise at on long trips and there was not even a hint of any vibration. I pushed it passed the threshold (briefly) after which they impound our cars here and I was extremely happy with the handling.

The car came with a sport package, or wheels anyway. When my mechanic inspected it he didn't think the suspension was anything special. I ended up getting it with 18" wheels as I found the ride of the 20"s unsettled. Does anyone know if the 2013s came with anything other than just the 20" wheels as a sport package or did they indeed have different suspension/brakes?

My only gripe is that I have to push the brakes harder than I'd like, this is echoed by my wife, however I wonder if it's just the function of the extra perceived performance where I am going faster than I think which requires extra stopping distance which I have not adjusted to yet.

Aside from the drive I love the pano sunroof and keeping fingers crossed I don't have issues with it.

I ended up going with a comfort line because I found the engine so smooth and quiet I didn't want to risk another one. I called a dealer about a highline, also a 2013 and he sent me a video of a walk around. He started filming at the front of the car with the engine running and it sounded like a tractor, or an old loud diesel. Mine had a full service history with the fix done recently which means I benefit from almost the entire postfix warranty. As a bonus, it also came with the extended adblue heater warranty from new to 193,000kms which is I believe the 120,000 mile mark.

If there is any performance drop due to the fix I don't feel it as I did not drive one pre-fix but it's much more powerful than my 2010 and even if I want extra power sport mode makes it extremely responsive to the point I have to take care with my right foot.

The car had an error code for an AC cabin sensor which the dealer is replacing tomorrow. They will also check my driver side seat heater. It goes to the highest setting after about 15 minutes of being set at the first two settings. It gets so hot I have to turn it off.

I love the fit and finish of the car; it feels more like a luxury SUV vs an off-road truck. My only complaint is the rear view mirror which looks like VW sourced it at toys-r-us. I wonder if it can be retrofited with either the new ones on the T4s or the older ones I had in my 2010.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Good post. Enjoy the new car.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes, the brakes require a bit more effort than expected.

2013 Lux has 19" wheels. I don't think there is any difference in the suspension.

You are right, it shouldn't be called a "Treg."

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I can relate almost exactly as I went from a 2010 TDI Highline with Rline package for 3 years to a 2013 TDI Execline. There are definitely things I like more about each. Overall I did find my 2010 handled better. My 2013 feels like it needs new shocks at the back already as it will bounce with even a small load. The driver door on the 2010 was also much more comfortable. My arm fit perfectly into the rest on the door, window switches right at my fingertips. On the 2013, I have to reach for the window buttons and the handle. It does not feel as comfortable at all.

Pros:
rear glass opens
more comfortable driver door
better ride and handling
low range
useful cornering lights

Cons:
tiptronic lagged
no bluetooth audio
headlights were very dim (HID)

Pros:
feels lighter
more power
8 speed
can start in 2nd gear (perfect for winter)
better headlights
newer nav system
heated rear seats
pano roof

Cons:
rear glass does not open
cornering lights are useless
driver door setup is not ideal
cannot fully turn off ESC

The upgrade was a no-brainer as VW actually paid me to buy the new one, with a warranty to boot!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Interesting that this applies to the T2/T3-
I went from a 2004 Treg, to a 2006 Cayenne S, to a 2013 Treg TDI- the one that was clearly different was the 04 Treg- The T3 handles very similar to by Cayenne- much more sporty than the older Treg, particularly at higher speeds. I prefer the feeling of the newer one honestly- gives much more confidence here on the highway mountain passes in Colorado. The addition of good snow tires in the winter makes the T3 feel as solid as possible, even in the cold and nasty weather. Much more of a "Sport" utility vehicle than before for sure!

I just sold back my 2010 TDI Treg after 2.5 years and bought a 2013 TDI Treg with 81,000kms or about 50,000 miles.

First of all, I think the two generations are so different that the new T3 shouldn't be called a Treg anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love the way it drives/handles but it feels completely different. I did a couple of several hour round trips recently and it feels like a sports car. I didn't like it when people referred to my 2010 as a truck, but if anyone calls this one a truck I am going to have to protest. The extra power and weight loss of the 2013 makes it feel significantly more powerful where it effortlessly moves its weight around.

I pushed the speed past the legal limit and past the speed I normally cruise at on long trips and there was not even a hint of any vibration. I pushed it passed the threshold (briefly) after which they impound our cars here and I was extremely happy with the handling.

The car came with a sport package, or wheels anyway. When my mechanic inspected it he didn't think the suspension was anything special. I ended up getting it with 18" wheels as I found the ride of the 20"s unsettled. Does anyone know if the 2013s came with anything other than just the 20" wheels as a sport package or did they indeed have different suspension/brakes?

My only gripe is that I have to push the brakes harder than I'd like, this is echoed by my wife, however I wonder if it's just the function of the extra perceived performance where I am going faster than I think which requires extra stopping distance which I have not adjusted to yet.

Aside from the drive I love the pano sunroof and keeping fingers crossed I don't have issues with it.

I ended up going with a comfort line because I found the engine so smooth and quiet I didn't want to risk another one. I called a dealer about a highline, also a 2013 and he sent me a video of a walk around. He started filming at the front of the car with the engine running and it sounded like a tractor, or an old loud diesel. Mine had a full service history with the fix done recently which means I benefit from almost the entire postfix warranty. As a bonus, it also came with the extended adblue heater warranty from new to 193,000kms which is I believe the 120,000 mile mark.

If there is any performance drop due to the fix I don't feel it as I did not drive one pre-fix but it's much more powerful than my 2010 and even if I want extra power sport mode makes it extremely responsive to the point I have to take care with my right foot.

The car had an error code for an AC cabin sensor which the dealer is replacing tomorrow. They will also check my driver side seat heater. It goes to the highest setting after about 15 minutes of being set at the first two settings. It gets so hot I have to turn it off.

I love the fit and finish of the car; it feels more like a luxury SUV vs an off-road truck. My only complaint is the rear view mirror which looks like VW sourced it at toys-r-us. I wonder if it can be retrofited with either the new ones on the T4s or the older ones I had in my 2010.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the brakes require a bit more effort than expected.

2013 Lux has 19" wheels. I don't think there is any difference in the suspension.

You are right, it shouldn't be called a "Treg."

Enjoy the ride.
The various trims are confusing and hard to keep track of over the years. I do know that in 2011/2012 only the TDI execline came with a sport package but I'm not sure if it was an option for a 2013 comfortline or whether it had a tuned suspension/brake or it was only the wheel size/tire combo.

I did some more spirited driving today, my daughter was late for school and asked me to drive her. I'm starting to get used to the brake now that I know I have to apply more pressure but I still don't like it though. Will need to look into upgrade options. Perhaps Cayenne parts are more tuned and interchangeable.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have no such issues with the brakes on my 2013. They feel solid and require "normal" pedal pressure. No grabbing, no fade, no noise. Predictable and confidence inspiring.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the R-line strictly cosmetic? I don't know if the R stands for race but if they have a special package for it I would expect it to also have better suspension/brakes. Perhaps it's intentional to move us up to Audi/Porsche.

I agree, I'm not sure if the 2010 was "better" but it did feel more planted and comfortable. Also, while the cabin is generally quieter, noise from road inperfections reach the cabin more readily.

I definitely miss the opening glass on the tailgate. I also noticed that I'm just too tall for the tailgate. I guess the extra suspension height of the 2010 made the difference in that I didn't have to duck under the gate. It's currently at the dealer getting the new cabin sensor and the seat heater looked at. I asked the mechanic to check that the gate is currently set to the maximum height as I literally need half an inch to fit under it on level ground. I didn't want to break anything by pushing it past the max height.

I find the seats in the 2013 much more comfortable and they are in a better position overall. Another niggle is that with the better dash screen there is so much info that I cannot adjust the wheel to see the entire screen. I like my wheel almost vertical and if it came down a bit more I might be able to see the entire screen over the wheel.

I didn't have navigation in my 2010 but I prefer Google maps over the rns 850. I would be much happier with a simple screen that I can mirror my phone with. I think it's crazy that we have to pay for navigation in every vehicle while most of us have perfectly good navigation in our phones.

The driver door sill is higher than the old one if you used it for your arm. I have the seat all the way down and find the armrest is ok for me. My issue with the door is the mirror control. I preferred it in the center console of my old one as it was more intuitive than the vertical position.

Another nice thing about the 2013 is it has a nice thick piece of vertical metal at the bottom where I can kick my shoes to clear off snow. The 2010 had a flimzy plastic trim there which was loose after someone kicked it off and I couldn't get to stay on tigth after.

I would have liked to go with at least a highline but the engine was so quiet and smooth I didn't want to look any further. It would have been nice to get memory seats as I frequently swap with my wife and it's a pain to readjust them each time. I think the comfortline also has a lower end stereo even from the highline.

I can relate almost exactly as I went from a 2010 TDI Highline with Rline package for 3 years to a 2013 TDI Execline. There are definitely things I like more about each. Overall I did find my 2010 handled better. My 2013 feels like it needs new shocks at the back already as it will bounce with even a small load. The driver door on the 2010 was also much more comfortable. My arm fit perfectly into the rest on the door, window switches right at my fingertips. On the 2013, I have to reach for the window buttons and the handle. It does not feel as comfortable at all.

Pros:
rear glass opens
more comfortable driver door
better ride and handling
low range
useful cornering lights

Cons:
tiptronic lagged
no bluetooth audio
headlights were very dim (HID)

Pros:
feels lighter
more power
8 speed
can start in 2nd gear (perfect for winter)
better headlights
newer nav system
heated rear seats
pano roof

Cons:
rear glass does not open
cornering lights are useless
driver door setup is not ideal
cannot fully turn off ESC

The upgrade was a no-brainer as VW actually paid me to buy the new one, with a warranty to boot!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I think the Rline on the T2 was cosmetic. The plastic trim piece under the doors on the driver side started coming off the year before I sold it back. The sheetmetal underneath also started rusting badly. I was going to request a warranty repair on it, but ended up getting rid of it.

The Rline front bumper valence looked really nice, but lowered the front a bit too much for deep snow driving. The rear valence also looked really nice compared to the regular trim.

My biggest gripe with the T2 Rline kit was that you could not install mudflaps. That is likely why I had paint chips on the underside of the trim pieces all along the sides. And with white paint, the chips showed up as black. Looked like a$$. It was impossible to keep clean as the tires kicked everything up the sides of the car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting that this applies to the T2/T3-
I went from a 2004 Treg, to a 2006 Cayenne S, to a 2013 Treg TDI- the one that was clearly different was the 04 Treg- The T3 handles very similar to by Cayenne- much more sporty than the older Treg, particularly at higher speeds. I prefer the feeling of the newer one honestly- gives much more confidence here on the highway mountain passes in Colorado. The addition of good snow tires in the winter makes the T3 feel as solid as possible, even in the cold and nasty weather. Much more of a "Sport" utility vehicle than before for sure!
The T2 is just a facelift over a 2004/T1 AFAIK. I don't drive on mountain passes but I really felt comfortable with the T2 suspension since the day I test drove it. It handled unexpectedly well for it's size/weight/height (I did not have the adjustable suspension therefore it was always at the highest setting by the looks of it.

I think the T3 definitely has more Porsche DNA than the T1/T2

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have no such issues with the brakes on my 2013. They feel solid and require "normal" pedal pressure. No grabbing, no fade, no noise. Predictable and confidence inspiring.
Let me guess, you are average or lower than average height. Before you get freaked out let me explain why I think that. I just got back from picking up the car and the oddest thing happened. I mentioned the brake issue to them but they said they can take a look at the next oil change or when I come back with the seat heater issue.

So, I go to start the car and I heard the engine more prominently than before. I get out and walk to the front and I hear more of the signature diesel rattle. When I went back to ask them why that would be the mechanic said to drive it in, he knows the issue. He opened the hood and re-seated the plastic engine cover. I listened but I was not convinced that was it as I still heard a bit more noise than before.

When I initially test drove the car I was really impressed by how quiet the engine was after reading comments here about how much noisier the engines are after the fix. I even asked if it was possible that the fix wasn't applied. Before I purchased I checked and found the sticker under the hood but what are the odds that they tweaked something now to finalize the fix which made the engine louder. The paranoid side of me is asking if they would play games like that to sell the car easier. I'm not imagining it as I am pretty sensitive to new rattles etc that cars make when things start going. They did wash the car; maybe it has something to do with it?

Returning to why I think you are not tall..... After I picked up the car, after complaining about the brakes, the first time I stop I feel the brakes improved as in working normally as I would expect them to work. I sped up to the next light and stopped hard. All good. So I'm thinking perhaps the wash cleaned out some debris from the brakes but then the real reason dawned on me.

The mechanic changed the seat position and moved it closer to the wheel. Moving the seat up changed the geometry of my leg position WRT the brake pedal. I put the seat back and whammo, it takes more pressure again! When the seat is closer I use more upper leg/thigh muscles which are much stronger than my lower leg calf muscles when the seat is further back. I was also pushing down on the pedal vs. pushing it in. The angles changed requiring more force to brake. How weird is that? I actually noticed that my right calf muscle was sore as in after a workout.

So I think you don't have brake issues because you are shorter than me and have your seat closer to the pedals allowing you to use bigger muscles which in turn are more efficient requiring less force to stop the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would definitely agree that the German DNA is apparent in the handling of all Touaregs when compared on equal grounds to their American or Japanese counterparts. The VW family knows how to make great handling SUV's.

The T2 is just a facelift over a 2004/T1 AFAIK. I don't drive on mountain passes but I really felt comfortable with the T2 suspension since the day I test drove it. It handled unexpectedly well for it's size/weight/height (I did not have the adjustable suspension therefore it was always at the highest setting by the looks of it.

I think the T3 definitely has more Porsche DNA than the T1/T2

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Let me guess, you are average or lower than average height. Before you get freaked out let me explain why I think that. I just got back from picking up the car and the oddest thing happened. I mentioned the brake issue to them but they said they can take a look at the next oil change or when I come back with the seat heater issue.

So, I go to start the car and I heard the engine more prominently than before. I get out and walk to the front and I hear more of the signature diesel rattle. When I went back to ask them why that would be the mechanic said to drive it in, he knows the issue. He opened the hood and re-seated the plastic engine cover. I listened but I was not convinced that was it as I still heard a bit more noise than before.

When I initially test drove the car I was really impressed by how quiet the engine was after reading comments here about how much noisier the engines are after the fix. I even asked if it was possible that the fix wasn't applied. Before I purchased I checked and found the sticker under the hood but what are the odds that they tweaked something now to finalize the fix which made the engine louder. The paranoid side of me is asking if they would play games like that to sell the car easier. I'm not imagining it as I am pretty sensitive to new rattles etc that cars make when things start going. They did wash the car; maybe it has something to do with it?

Returning to why I think you are not tall..... After I picked up the car, after complaining about the brakes, the first time I stop I feel the brakes improved as in working normally as I would expect them to work. I sped up to the next light and stopped hard. All good. So I'm thinking perhaps the wash cleaned out some debris from the brakes but then the real reason dawned on me.

The mechanic changed the seat position and moved it closer to the wheel. Moving the seat up changed the geometry of my leg position WRT the brake pedal. I put the seat back and whammo, it takes more pressure again! When the seat is closer I use more upper leg/thigh muscles which are much stronger than my lower leg calf muscles when the seat is further back. I was also pushing down on the pedal vs. pushing it in. The angles changed requiring more force to brake. How weird is that? I actually noticed that my right calf muscle was sore as in after a workout.

So I think you don't have brake issues because you are shorter than me and have your seat closer to the pedals allowing you to use bigger muscles which in turn are more efficient requiring less force to stop the car.
I'm 5'10", 175lbs. But I sit with the seat as far back as it goes and most of the way up in height. I sat like this in both my T2 and T3. Both had great brakes with good pedal feel.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had a little noise on my pano roof when it was 55 below and recentlky had snow. It warmed up never heard the seal again. Good write up otherwise my pano roof has been fine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm 5'10", 175lbs. But I sit with the seat as far back as it goes and most of the way up in height. I sat like this in both my T2 and T3. Both had great brakes with good pedal feel.
That's what I thought. With further experimentation, it seems the seat needs to be higher for the right geometry in order to use my bigger muscles. As soon as I lower the seat, even closer to the wheel I feel I'm using my calf muscle and it's more of a push forward rather than down on the pedal.

I'm 6'4" and over 200lbs. I always had to put the seat all the way back in my previous cars, however in the Treg (both 2010/2013 all the way back is too far) there as way more room to go back than what I need.

This is all the more reason it would be very useful to have memory seats. I have to do some search if it is possible to hack it through vcds to adjust the seats based on the remote being used. Theoretically, once a position is set and linked to a remote the memory buttons are no longer necessary. The question is whether the seat position is stored in the main ecu or memory circuitry is provided by the memory buttons.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My biggest gripe with the T2 Rline kit was that you could not install mudflaps. That is likely why I had paint chips on the underside of the trim pieces all along the sides. And with white paint, the chips showed up as black. Looked like a$$. It was impossible to keep clean as the tires kicked everything up the sides of the car.
I actually looked at mudflaps for mine but the price quickly got out of hand once I realized they are sold by the pair plus installation. Does anyone know how much of a challenge it is to install these? I might revisit the idea if I can install them myself.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
On the T2, the seat memory can be tied to a key. Quite handy as I had one for me and one for the wife. Setting the memory to the key is explained in the manual. I set mine once and never needed to revisit.

On the T3, the keys store the last seat position when the key was last used. So if I give my key to my son, and he changes the seat position, the next time I get in it will be his position and I have to hit the memory button back to my setting.

I think I liked the T2 system better.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Mudflaps would be pretty easy to install yourself if you are handy. But again, if you have the rline kit, you cannot install mudflaps on your 2010.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On the T3, the keys store the last seat position when the key was last used. So if I give my key to my son, and he changes the seat position, the next time I get in it will be his position and I have to hit the memory button back to my setting.

Mudflaps would be pretty easy to install yourself if you are handy. But again, if you have the rline kit, you cannot install mudflaps on your 2010.
I don't have the memory option. I'm just wondering if the fob can be linked to a specific position without having the option. My old allroad worked the same way as your T2 i.e. always returning the seat to the same position for each fob.

I tought about getting the flaps but based on the total price I gave up but based on your experience I think it makes sense to protect the paint. I just have to find it for a better price elsewhere other than my dealer. They have a deal for $25 off on the first $200 and an additional $25 off for each additional $100 which means $50 off $310. I don't get why the fronts are more than double the price of the rears. I don't have the Rline so I'm good.

I see them available in the UK and from Thailand through ebay. Hmm.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts