Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently had these tires put on my 2004 V8 Touareg so I thought I would write a review to answer some of the questions I had before I got them (and of course to post some pics :D).

I ordered the BFGs online from Discount Tire for install at my local store (Discount Tire on 28th & Glenwood in Boulder). Total cost was $1113.12, which came down a bit once I explained I wanted to keep the current tires. The tires were available for install within a couple of days. I made sure to specify in the 'Notes' field on the order form that I was aware these tires were not the VW-recommended size.

I wanted the 265 size because this size allowed for the Severe Snow rating that I was looking for. The set of Toyos that came on the car (secondhand) got me stuck up in Fairplay in December and I needed to have a Dodge pickup pull me out.

The install took less than an hour. Mike Martinez was my CSR and although he was skeptical, he realized I knew what I was doing and was willing to go ahead. When I picked the car up he advised me that they had to put the air suspension on X-tra mode to clear the tires and he thought I would have to run in that mode full time to prevent rubbing.

However, I was pretty confident in the fit of the tires and the first thing I did was to drop down to loading level and turn the wheels lock to lock in the park lot while driving around at ~5 mph. No rubbing.

Since then I have put about 1,000 miles on the tires and I am very happy with them. Here are some of the questions I had before getting the tires and the answers I've found so far:

What is the road noise like with the BFGs?
As I said, I had Toyo Proxes on the 'Reg before, and they were ultra-quiet. While the BFGs are louder, the noise is not noticeable, the engine (and in my car, the stereo) is 10x as loud as the tires. On the highway you can hear them, but the sound deadening in the Touareg really prevents it from being instrusive. I don't even notice it now.

How will this change the cornering ability?
I had gotten used to the sports-sedan-like ability of the Touareg running the Toyos. Hard corners now feel decidedly more "squirmy" with the larger tread blocks. I would liken the cornering to any other SUV I've driven with offroad tires. Was definitely spoiled by the Toyos in this regard.

I have also noticed that hitting the throttle in hard (90 degree) turns tends to cause the diffs to make a lot of noise as they correct for the loss of traction. The clicking concerned me at first.

How do the BFGs affect gas mileage?
Difference in mileage has been small at the worst. I would estimate perhaps -1 MPG in city driving and imperceptible difference in highway.

How much difference do the BFGs make in snow?
After getting the tires I ran the Touareg out to Wolf Creek for a weekend trip. Although we didn't get caught in a legendary snowstorm, I did get to test the tires on some snow-packed and icy dirt/gravel roads and felt completely confident. Since then I 've also run the tires on some minor offroad trails and traction was the last of my worries.

I also recently hit some black ice on my way back from Vail and found that the tires held long enough for one set to make it back to blacktop, my passengers didn't notice the slide.

Do the tires change the look of the Touareg?
Definitely. I have gotten compliments on the tires from owners and non-owners alike. The BFGs definitely eradicate the mini-van appearance and make the 'Reg look as capable as it is. Pics below so you can judge for yourself, although the effect is much better in person.

In closing, I would recommend the BFGs for anyone who uses their 'Reg at least half the time for offroad or severe-weather conditions. The BFGs are not ideal for city-roads (but certainly capable) but I have summer vehicles I use for commuting.

Before Pics:

With Racks:

With the BFGs:

If you have any questions feel free to ask away!

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Discount Tire in Seattle recommends their "safety siping" to help with ice traction. It's only $10/ex or something. Makes some sense.

Did they not mention it to you? I haven't done it but seems like a good idea.

· Registered
1,056 Posts
So it would make the bfg's better on hwy ice/snow? They showed me it looks like a series of cross cuts that are in the middle 80% but not all the way out so the edge block strength isn't compromised.

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Yes it would make the stability of the tire on ice/snow/winter freeway driving much better than just the normal all terrain tires. I used to run blizzaks in the winter on my lexus lx470 and they had sipping on all of the tread, and believe me, that truck could almost climb a wall of ice(not literally), but they were incredible.

Linder

· Registered
1,420 Posts
It will wear the tires quicker, but the BFG's are known for lasting like 100k miles, so adding some sipping probably won't lessen the miles to anything below the normal tires that are on the tregs.

Linder

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I'm loving 'em. :D

Discount Tire in Seattle recommends their "safety siping" to help with ice traction. It's only $10/ex or something. Makes some sense.

Did they not mention it to you? I haven't done it but seems like a good idea.
They didn't mention it to me. I got some tires siped before (probably about 10 years ago) and they did seem to do better on snow/ice. I think tire manufacturers have begun to "sipe" their tires themselves, but it's probably 80% marketing hype.

From what I heard siping would decrease wear on tires, but I'm not sure if that applies to offroad tires. I would think the bigger/squirmier tread would make the siping push against the ground more, increasing wear. But I'm no expert.

· Registered
215 Posts
Those look sweet! After i go through my 22's I will be putting BFG's on my 17's. I was told the BFG's couldn't go on tregs. Boy, I was wrong. This forum is great.

· Registered
1,420 Posts
From what I heard siping would decrease wear on tires, but I'm not sure if that applies to offroad tires. I would think the bigger/squirmier tread would make the siping push against the ground more, increasing wear. But I'm no expert.
You are correct

Linder

· Registered
1,056 Posts
You are correct

Linder
yeah, if siping does it's job, one would think the friction must increase thus reducing efficiency and mpg. similar to wide tires and aggressive tread tires, etc.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is there any wheel well rubbing with these tires? Let me see if I get this correct, You are running 265/65/18's, that is huge. Thank
That is correct, these are the 265/65/18s. I haven't experienced any rubbing as of yet. I believe I've come close a couple of times when in Sport-suspension mode and Auto-height.

When I first picked the 'Reg up from the tire shop the service manager said, "We have your air suspension all the way up, I doubt you'll be able to go any lower without rubbing." So I smiled and said thanks.

What was the first thing I did after starting it up? Dropped it down to loading level and turned the wheels lock to lock while backing out of the parking space. No rubbing at all.

If I get some time, I'll take some pics at the lower levels so you can see how the tires line up with the arches.

· Registered
15 Posts
i WOULD LOVE TO PUT THOSE TIRES ON MY 06 V10 BUT HERE IS THE THING STOCK TIRES MEASURE 29 INCHES THE WHEEL WELD IN SPORT/LOADING MEASURES 30 INCHES
I LOOKED UP THE HEIGHT OF 265/65/18 AND IT SHOWS 31.6 INCHES.
I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU DESCRIBED AS NO RUBBING,MAY BE THE SPECS I LOOKED UP ARE ALL WRONG.
THANKS

· Registered
2,858 Posts
V10s (actually, the V6 TDI too) have the intercooler exhaust vents into the front wheelwells. This encroaches on tire space for oversized wheels. I believe the largest you can go, depending on the tire, tread width, wheel offset, etc is going to be 265/60-18.

Matt

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Not quite correct.

I had 265/65x18's on mine and the only rub was at 3/4 turn for just a hair on those vents edge. Not even enough to do anything to them really but could have been fixed easily by screwing them down tighter against the body as they had a 1/2" of movement behind them when I pressed on the rub area.

· Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Matt I just found out that the 265/60 18's would fit with no problems.
V10s (actually, the V6 TDI too) have the intercooler exhaust vents into the front wheelwells. This encroaches on tire space for oversized wheels. I believe the largest you can go, depending on the tire, tread width, wheel offset, etc is going to be 265/60-18.

Matt

· Registered
426 Posts
I'm having issues trying to figure out what the best logical size is in the BFG AT TA KO's to replace my stock 255/60/17's?

I don't want to mess around too much with bigger sizes (fitment, speedo etc...).

Any ideas?

· Registered
177 Posts
Sorry to bring this thread back up from the dead, but I am considering these tires in this size, and after 2 years, I want to see how you feel about them at this point (supposing you still have them.

Still rub free? How many miles have you/did you get out of them? Do they hugely through off the speedo/odometer? From my understanding, the larger overall diameter will mean the odo shows fewer miles than what has actually been driven, correct?

Thanks,

Brad

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.