Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on just installing a plug in coolant heater (Frostheater) as I've had great experience with them on other cars. But I've always had Webasto in my mind. I've searched the threads here, but have not found much info on retrofitting one in a NA V6 TDI.

So I've started this thread to collect information to help me and other V6 TDI owners to retrofit a parking heater.

Looking on eBay, I've seen the Webasto heaters used for between $200 and $500. None of them seem to come with an install kit (bracket, hoses, exhaust, etc). And I'm sure none of them come with instructions. I've also found the T91 kit for a reasonable price.

But I will need to interface with the climatronic system so that I can have the fan turn on when the heater is running. The T91 remote system will be fine. I can add the timer function to the overhead console later.

What P/N Webasto do I need? 7L6815071 with suffix B, C, D? Will any suffix work?

How is it wired to the system to work with the climatronic? Any wiring diagrams available? A wiring diagram from a V10 TDI would probably work as those came with a Webasto standard.

Let's get the discussion going!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You northern Americans and fellow Canadians: you aren't interested in jumping in a warm, frost-free car on the coming frigid mornings?

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's why I have kids. "Hey, go start my car". Boom, warm car.
However, my wife just pointed out an oil (used oil) burner for the garage. Yes!!! Now the whole garage can be warm!!!

Crap, why do I still look at this stuff. I keep forgetting that I live in Alabama now.

Wouldn't a remote starter be easier for you?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My experience with diesels is that they do not warm up idling in the driveway. So a remote starter will do nothing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hmm, true. They do take about an hour to warm up out there. Have you considered something like the Kat's lower radiator hose heater and a oil pan combo? We used to run this combination in Minnesota all the time.

I'm just thinking effort over result theory.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Dang, I have been looking at them on YouTube for last few minutes. Now I know what the noise was on all those cars in Norway. They all had that Webasto heater in them!

It looks like an expensive install, but worth every penny in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hmm, true. They do take about an hour to warm up out there. Have you considered something like the Kat's lower radiator hose heater and a oil pan combo? We used to run this combination in Minnesota all the time.

I'm just thinking effort over result theory.
Works great IF you have AC.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lower rad hose heaters are okay, not as good as freeze plug heaters, and not as good as circulating heaters. For $170 USD I can install a circulating heater from FrostHeater (frostheater.com), and this will be the route I go if I cannot get a used Webasto, remote and install instructions.

The main point of the Webasto is you can use it any time without having to plug in. For me, I can plug in at home and work, but not always when out for the evening, traveling, at the cottage, etc.

If there is room in the driver's fender for a Webasto, and the wiring and plumbing are easy, then it is worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi, where are you located?

Have you considered installing an Espar heater?

I have one on my 2010 and one on the wife's ML 350. New for this year, I am waiting for details and availability, is a cell phone start and feedback. If you are going for European stock, I don't think you could add a cell phone start for the heater. Also, the stock set up will not have a fuel preheater.

The only Espar heater dealer that has the fuel preheater, as far as I know, is in Edmonton; Polar Mobility.

I HIGHLY recommend a parking heater for anyone living in cold climates. This will allow you to return to a warm engine, at @ 140 F, after shopping at "Wally World" for two hours!

Please PM me if you would like more details.

After one winter, you will NOT own another vehicle without one!! Gasoline versions are also available.

Mick

·
Registered
206 Posts
I thought all Diesel touaregs (at least T2) have either auxilliary or parking heater factory-fitted.

Is this true only for the European region?

Anyway, just my two cents: I had auxiliary heater from factory, and it was converted to a GSM-controlled parking heater using this product:
https://www.remuc.fi/index.php/home/?lang=en

The only thing that was needed in terms of the Webasto control module was to connect one wire from the Remuc device wiring harness into the W-Bus input on the Webasto control unit (I had it done at a certified Webasto service/installer, though).

When I switch on the parking heater, the Climatronic goes to "HE" mode automatically, so I guess it gets its signal via the WBus or CAN.

The point is that if you have a T2 and auxiliary heater from factory, then conversion to parking heater should be quite straightforward. If you don't then it could become a major project... The actual heater, control unit, wiring harnesses, circulation pumps etc. I'm not sure what is fitted and what isn't if you don't have neither of the heater options from the factory!

You can easily check whether or not you have either of the Webasto options. When you open the driver's door, if you see a type designation plate with a Webasto logo on the outer side of driver's B pillar / door surrounding, then there's at least an auxiliary heater fitted from factory. I have "Thermo Top C 5.1 kW" fitted.

And the second point is that once you get used to having a parking heater during cold winter mornings, you won't go back... :)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
North American Touaregs do not have Webasto heaters, except the V10. What I do have is an electric auxiliary heater that provides supplemental heat to the heater core when the engine is cold and running.

So I'm starting from scratch here. I need to know if any of the wiring for the Webasto might be in place. If not, how do I interface to the HVAC system so that the Webasto can run the car's blower?

·
Super Moderator
9,494 Posts
I personally have never had an issue with getting warm quickly with the auxilliary heater that comes with the TDI. My car gets warm fairly quickly no more then a mile or so from my house. I am quite comfortable with it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I personally have never had an issue with getting warm quickly with the auxilliary heater that comes with the TDI. My car gets warm fairly quickly no more then a mile or so from my house. I am quite comfortable with it.
Depends what kind of low temps you're dealing with. Here in Ottawa we're not as far north as some Canadians but long stretches in the winter can be -30C on a daily basis. It's hard to breathe at that temperature, let alone drive and function. I for one am also desperately trying to get details of retrofitting Webasto to my 2014 TDI. So far, very little info found anywhere - suggests to me it's difficult and/or not worth the effort.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My -07 T1 has aux heater. Since T91 kit didnt properly wake the heater, i bought a new parking heater control unit from vw germany. After replacing the electronics, is there a way to control the interior blower speed on "he"? I actually dont mind if interior is cold as long as engine is warm an and now the blower seems to run at pretty high speed. It could be slower to save battery and save time heating the engine.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My -07 T1 has aux heater. Since T91 kit didnt properly wake the heater, i bought a new parking heater control unit from vw germany. After replacing the electronics, is there a way to control the interior blower speed on "he"? I actually dont mind if interior is cold as long as engine is warm an and now the blower seems to run at pretty high speed. It could be slower to save battery and save time heating the engine.
I guess you would need an IPCU relay which is used in most cases when the blower fan is spinning too fast regarding the battery. That's what I was told when I had my Remuc installed, although they never included the relay into my setup. In general, the relay is installed between the Climatronic and fan control circuitry and it enables configuring the actual rotation speed of the fan by programming the relay only. I understood though that you need some specific computer software to configure the IPCU relay, and it might not be the same as VCDS...

How fast is your fan actually spinning? Is it loud inside? I find that the "HE" speed in my case is similar to what is used with the factory-enabled "REST" option (I.e. using waste heat generated by the engine for warming the cabin within 30 minutes from engine stop).

I wonder if there would be a way to set the "HE" fan speed using VCDS? Or is that somehow coded to the internal logic of some control unit?

Although for me this is not a big issue currently as I can use the heater for 30-45 minutes without battery voltage going below 11.9 volts. I don't have a second battery.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mine is also with single battery. Just installed new 105 Ah agm battery. "He" speed is about the same as normal speed at 20 celsius, if i remember right it was thirth bar of speed in display. First would have been enough. But if its going to need that much building to control speed, then i might as well leave it as it is. I actually have not even tried the "rest" function yet.
But thanks for the info anyway!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well. That was easy. Found out how to control the fan speed. When displays reads "he", just set the speed from fan speed button. Mine was at full speed and now it is at lowest speed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you start from scratch, you could buy a webasto with the webasto control unit. All VAG's have control mudules produced by webasto, but with VAG specs. That makes it hard to retrofit into a car without aux heater. The VAG control module needs to communicate with the rest of the car (climatronic, fuel level, temperature etc.) With the webasto control module it only needs 3 cables; +12 supply, ground and +12v trigger or w-bus(remote, timer or a simple switch). The fuel pump and the water pump are also controlled by the webasto. I've installed this into a couple of cars(not t-regs), and used the retur hose from the heater matrix to the inlet of the webasto. Outlet goes in the engine, so the engine heats first. For the exhaust, I used a exhaust tube about 6 inches long with no silencer. It's not loud and I personally love the sound.

Sorry for my bad English.
Hope you got some answers :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts