Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have an 08 treg and just had new tires put on it. I never had a problem before with the low tire pressure light coming on. With the new tires it can't read the rear tire pressure. The tires I got say to run a little less air than what I had on previously. I can get to the change pressure in the MDF but can't change the pressure. How can I change the pressure setting?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
You may be able to reset the parameters using VCDS but that doesn't explain why it's not reading the tire pressure from your rear tires

·
Registered
144 Posts
When your tires were removed, they did something to your valves. It could also be that after 8 years on the road, you suddenly need to replace both...but I doubt it. Did you replace all four tires or just the rear?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All four tires were done and they didn't do anything to the valves. It was a friend of mine that did the tires and he is very knowledgeable about that kind of thing. And I was standing there the whole time he was doing it. It's not reading the pressure I'm sure because it is lower than what is set in the mfd. that is what has happened in the past when i would have a low tire. It would just tell me low tire and then not display the pressure until it was aired up to the correct pressure (or within the 7 pounds or whatever It is). But these tires recommend that I run a lower pressure than my previous tires. I'm sure I have went in and changed the settings before but now I can't. I'm pretty sure we went into vag com and couldn't reset it. Any ideas

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My (200eight) MFD shows low pressures..(I think they also either blink or are a different color verses the OK pressures too??).

If you have no data for certain wheels...that sounds like either dead batteries or the TPMS re-learning and just needs to be driven a short distance (less than a mile). Are these OEM?

As far as two going at once, the batteries are likely the same age and were used the same amount of time...I could buy this.

If you decide to replace, keep in mind the OEM ones could have been sitting in a warehouse for years...even if they are "sleeping" i would be trying to find manufacture dates (if they are marked...)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Tire pressure is determined by the vehicle, wheel and tire combination. Not by what the tires "say". If the new tires are similar in size to the originals, you should probably be using the VW recommended pressures.

·
Registered
283 Posts
you can use vcds, but can't you just fill the tires to the level that you want and then hit the learn pressure in the mdf and drive on the highway for 10 minutes until the light goes off? That's how it works on my 04. Maybe 08 is different.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
What size tires were OEM and what size did you replace them with? What's the recommended psi per the manufacture stamp in car door? What is the max cold psi as labeled on tire? If the max cold psi rating on the tire is higher than the recommended psi by VW then run the tires at the psi labeled in car door.

My 2008 shows tire pressure even when low. If you have no reading then it is a low battery or damaged sensor. The last time I had tires replaced, the psi reading was displayed before I left the Costco parking lot. How old are TPMS sensors?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts