Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like we may have found a suitable V6 180 Kw MY14 Touareg but it requires a Tow bar ?
Could any of the Members in Perth WA let us know where would be the best place to purchase the Tow-bar and get it installed . Any idea of prices would be great as well ?

Regards Kennyg

·
Registered
337 Posts
G’day Kenny, I know they are a bit south of Perth but West Coast Tow bars will certainly do it and when I got their quote they were well priced. I ended up going with the guys in Mandurah at Peel exhaust and tow bars.

But, I am certain there are plenty of places in Perth more than capable if you google “towbars Perth” they will get results for you.

If I can suggest some sound advice from experience. Please take the manager out to your car and show him the rear of your car and the condition of your plastic bumper. I assume for a moment it is unmarked. These guys are sometimes a little careless with your car and don’t mind if a few scratches end up on your rear bumper. They hope you can’t tell the before condition from the after condition, so take plenty of close up photos of the rear bumper before they attack it.

Another point, they’re inclined to do this quickly which means the result isn’t the most elegant for you in the end. Ask them exactly where and how they intend to mount the electrical plug socket. Usually they will just drill the plastic rear cover and just fit it up with some galvanised screws. Discreet is nice, so please ask them exactly how they intend to do this and tell them exactly how you want it done.

I did upload some photos of mine before and after. When I collected mine, it was a quite ordinary mounting of the sockets (7 pin + Anderson plug). After, I fully hid the plugs so invisible behind the removable panel when not in use.

Pete.

·
Registered
337 Posts
IMG_0044.jpg

I couldn’t easily find the ‘Before’ photos, but all the sockets were screwed to the outside of the rear panel!!

I know my car is a 7L and yours is a 7P, but same principle applies. Ask and be sure with the fitting manager - set the expectation then you have a position to push a case after if your expectations aren’t met.

Pete.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
G’day Kenny, I know they are a bit south of Perth but West Coast Tow bars will certainly do it and when I got their quote they were well priced. I ended up going with the guys in Mandurah at Peel exhaust and tow bars.

But, I am certain there are plenty of places in Perth more than capable if you google “towbars Perth” they will get results for you.

If I can suggest some sound advice from experience. Please take the manager out to your car and show him the rear of your car and the condition of your plastic bumper. I assume for a moment it is unmarked. These guys are sometimes a little careless with your car and don’t mind if a few scratches end up on your rear bumper. They hope you can’t tell the before condition from the after condition, so take plenty of close up photos of the rear bumper before they attack it.

Another point, they’re inclined to do this quickly which means the result isn’t the most elegant for you in the end. Ask them exactly where and how they intend to mount the electrical plug socket. Usually they will just drill the plastic rear cover and just fit it up with some galvanised screws. Discreet is nice, so please ask them exactly how they intend to do this and tell them exactly how you want it done.

I did upload some photos of mine before and after. When I collected mine, it was a quite ordinary mounting of the sockets (7 pin + Anderson plug). After, I fully hid the plugs so invisible behind the removable panel when not in use.

Pete.
Hello Pete, thank you for the reply and all the information of getting a tow bar fitted . We have not purchased the MY14 Touareg yet still waiting for it to arrive at the car yard as it is on its way to Perth from the Eastern States and should be arriving this week ?. So I was just getting all the information together if we end up purchasing the Touareg so we have an idea of what has to be done and choose a suitable installer that could be a VW Dealer or a private company ? Pete what model Touareg do you have and what do you tow with it ?

Regards Kennyg

·
Registered
337 Posts
IMG_0174.jpg

Hi Kenny, here’s the rig.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,012 Posts
Reactions: Kennyg and Crispy3
1 - 7 of 7 Posts