Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, help greatly appreciated. I need to program my key fob.

What I have:

• the original key (without a working fob)
  • a second new key (from VW with an unprogrammed fob)

What I tried:

I have the other instructions posts on this platform with no luck. The main article that that I followed gave me the instructions below, but they do not work does not work.

1 - turning the car on and leaving it running with the key I want to program
2 - reaching out of my window and locking the drivers side door with a separate key (no fob on it)
3 - pressing the unlock button on the key that is in the ignition
4 - waiting six seconds and pressing the key that is in the ignition again

Waiting 30 seconds,turning the car off and trying the fob. Doesn't work. Please help!

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,793 Posts
You’ll need VCDS to program the remote functions, and either VCDS with the SKC or ODIS with a GeKo account to program the immobilizer portion of the fob.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You’ll need VCDS to program the remote functions, and either VCDS with the SKC or ODIS with a GeKo account to program the immobilizer portion of the fob.
Ah ok thank you! So basically there isn't actually a way to do it on my own?

Do you know why the other posters thought there was a way to do it on their own?

Thank you 🙏

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,793 Posts
Do you know why the other posters thought there was a way to do it on their own?
They were wrong?

For your 2008, you have IMMO4c which cannot be programmed with VCDS, you need ODIS and a GeKo account. Basically dealer only unless you know someone with some nefarious software.

·
Registered
2013 7P Touareg R line V8 4.2 TDI
529 Posts
Just to clarify... If you have no working Fob you need the dealer as stated. If you had a working FOB an auto lock expert with the right gear could code a new one

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@chewblekka two follow ups (just seeing if my old key is dead)

1 - if the battery is working and the key is functioning, should a red light appear when the buttons are pressed? even if its not programmed?

2 - will removing the battery lose the programming information?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,793 Posts
LED will illuminate regardless of programming. The immobilizer part is a RFID chip that has no battery, it won’t lose programming. The keyless part should retain programming too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[/QUOTE]
LED will illuminate regardless of programming. The immobilizer part is a RFID chip that has no battery, it won’t lose programming. The keyless part should retain programming too.
Thank you!

It turns out my backup was programmed but the battery was dead. The main one was just dead due to taking a swim.

But at least now I can program a new one easier - thank you so much for your time!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts