Club Touareg Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
LOtouareg said:
Is there an answer to his first question?? :)
Keep checking back, but generally it is the same time every year. It is still early yet for the guys to organize. Typically either Aircooled or TREGginCO will report on details.

·
Registered
293 Posts
For my OE wheels I had the dealer install 255/55R18 Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires when it was delivered to me. I'll need "3-season" tires in about March. I had thought about buying 20" wheels and getting some Nitto Terra Grappler tires in size 265/50R20 - though I'm open to suggestions. Off road driving will be a very minor part of my use for this vehicle. I'll likely spend 99 percent of my time on pavement.

As for picking-up a full sized spare and the other essentials, I don't see that as a big deal. I recall seeing somewhere in this thread a list of what's required. I can go back and look for it.

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
IntProst said:
For my OE wheels I had the dealer install 255/55R18 Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires when it was delivered to me. I'll need "3-season" tires in about March. I had thought about buying 20" wheels and getting some Nitto Terra Grappler tires in size 265/50R20 - though I'm open to suggestions. Off road driving will be a very minor part of my use for this vehicle. I'll likely spend 99 percent of my time on pavement.

As for picking-up a full sized spare and the other essentials, I don't see that as a big deal. I recall seeing somewhere in this thread a list of what's required. I can go back and look for it.
Are planning on using the 20" to do the Rally in? I highly discourage you in doing this since the sidewalls will not be very high. You are looking wheel as well as tire damage. I would use the 18" with some decent AT tires and just pick up another one for your full size spare. I hope I read your post wrong, but thinking not.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yeti;

I think you read my post correctly... and I guess that it goes to show you how inexperienced I am when it comes to off road driving.

So I'm seeing wheels available in the classifieds ranging from 17 through to 22 inches. I'll focus my purchase at the 17 or 18 inch size range and ignore the larger sizes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If you are serious about your off-roading, then you might also consider going oversize on the tyres to give a deeper tyre wall and slightly better ground clearance too.

VWVortex.com - Firestone Destination M/T Mud Tires

I'd also order up three more tow lugs to complement the one that should already be in your trunk and fit them before starting out together with a decent shackle on each so it's quick and easy to hook you up either to tow someone else or be towed.

I'd also strongly recommend getting some expert off road tuition so you know how to use your very capable, but very expensive car properly before turning a wheel in the dirt.

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
Yeti;

I think you read my post correctly... and I guess that it goes to show you how inexperienced I am when it comes to off road driving.

So I'm seeing wheels available in the classifieds ranging from 17 through to 22 inches. I'll focus my purchase at the 17 or 18 inch size range and ignore the larger sizes.

Thanks.
No problem. We had a demo vehical one year from VW that had 19" with low profile tires. Needless to say we lost one of those tires later in the week. Just better to use 17" or 18" to get taller side wall tires. Plus you have more size choices for tires in those rim sizes. I have 17" with 245/70/17 and I run those all the time. I get slight rubbing on the intercooler vents on slow speed parking lot turns, but nothing serious. That is a 30.5" diameter tire. I am not sure if the intercooler vents are any different on the T3's from the previous gen ones or not. The other reason to go with a taller side wall is a slight bit more ground clearance since you don't have air suspension. I will be real curious how you do there if you intend to go on every trail ride that week. They get progressively harder as the week goes on. Just not sure how it will be since you don't have low range on that. Who knows, maybe I will be there next year if I can work things out with the new job. :) I hated missing this year.

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
If you are serious about your off-roading, then you might also consider going oversize on the tyres to give a deeper tyre wall and slightly better ground clearance too.

VWVortex.com - Firestone Destination M/T Mud Tires

I'd also order up three more tow lugs to complement the one that should already be in your trunk and fit them before starting out together with a decent shackle on each so it's quick and easy to hook you up either to tow someone else or be towed.

I'd also strongly recommend getting some expert off road tuition so you know how to use your very capable, but very expensive car properly before turning a wheel in the dirt.
Nooby, if his first time is at the Rally, he will be fine as long as he gets the required equipment before going. Guys will work with him on how to get through stuff. We have never left anyone stranded.

·
Registered
293 Posts
noobytoogy and Yeti;

I don't mind spending a few bucks to get my rig ready. Perhaps though I'm setting my sights too high for my first off-road trip. I think I'll look around for a more gentle introduction to off-roading. Maybe something in southern Ontario so it's closer to home. Your advice is appreciated none-the-less.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Nooby, if his first time is at the Rally, he will be fine as long as he gets the required equipment before going. Guys will work with him on how to get through stuff. We have never left anyone stranded.
That's a very fair comment as 4x4 owners are usually pretty generous with time and advice especially in the tricky stuff, but I still think it would help a new owner's confidence in understanding and taking that advice if they have some idea of what they can do with their car before they pitch up at an event.

Land Rover organise offroading days and VW did it here in the UK before the recession hit and they disbanded their excellent team, unlike LR who now seem to have even more teams and many, many more sales!

·
Registered
299 Posts
...Bottom line is if you come out and have no previous offroad experience at all, let everyone know that up front...
As a potential Treg owner (2012 Sport TDI) I have read this thread with interest, but also concern. The rally looks like a blast, but it's clear to me that the 2011's and 2012's are nowhere near the off-road vehicles that the older 'eggs are.

How likely would it be that I could take part in a rally without ruining the vehicle, getting hopelessly stuck, or slowing everyone else down tremendously?

Last question - what equipment would I need to buy for the rally?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I haven't seen any notice that the 2012 edition of the Ouray Rally is being held. Is it still being planned or will 2012 be a skipped year?

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
I have no idea how the 11-12 Tregs would do. The first day of trails it may not be an issue, but they progressively get harder as the week goes on and I have some serious reservations on how these would do on those harder trails.

It is possible there will be no Rally this year due to the fact it is a couple of members on this forum that organize it and the main person no longer lives in CO. I personally have heard no rumble about it from any of the long termers, but I can't say for sure there is not gonna be one this year.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm preparing.... I already got the 5 spare rims and going to get Nitto TerraGrapplers.

If folks can't commit to full week then how about weekend?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I am kinda with Yeti on the 11's and 12's issue.

On the usual trails there is no need for lockers; but I would be concerned about some of the 4x4 power areas. As to clearance, I few of us have done it in "steel", but it needed careful spotting to avoid rocker damage.

Likely manageable on the Corkscrew-Hurricane-California-Cinnamon sequence. Lower part of Mineral Creek - but upper part there a few areas that may push it on power and clearance. I would not try Upper Yankee Boy past the falls (not that we have -ever- finished it except the years I missed) and certainly not its twin Governors Basin. I would be hesitant to call Imogene doable - its flat enough up to the shelf and the hole was filled in last time - but I would call a safety audible near the last few climbs which absolutely need stable 4x4 power - and you may knock the bottom. Road tires not recommended without the T1/T2 drivetrain.

Also for this year, the snow pack is dismal - and the fire danger is expected to be very high.

As to 2012 Rally, we'll see what happens. It is getting really late to reserve some of the usual rental properties. My own availability is lost later in that usual last July week due to family events. But if not 2012, I think 2013 would be highly likely - we did miss 2009 and came back strong.

My own plans - I'll be out there certainly in early October fall colors photo trip - and may swing by the region on the highway only in mid-May as part of a Moab / Shiprock Annular Eclipse photo trip.

Also, I am not sure it will ever be an exclusive Touareg Rally in the future - a few of the regulars now have Rovers and Jeeps - and I may join that camp in a few years.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
A note -

If you catch a replay (or buy off iTunes) the U.S. Top Gear episode "Continental Divide", you will see portions of Mineral Creek and Stony Pass trails (from our best knowledge).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Also, I am not sure it will ever be an exclusive Touareg Rally in the future - a few of the regulars now have Rovers and Jeeps - and I may join that camp in a few years.
I got a ROVER MENTION ! lol :D! Thanks Karl! Anyway, the RvDUB Clan does not have any plans to make it to Ouray this year even if there is a rally. I have not heard of any plans for an event this year. I Think our little man want's to go to Lego Land instead! We have be rallying there 5 times so kinda earned our stripes ;)

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
While there is not yet a final word on the Rally, our inclination is that there WILL NOT BE a 2012 Rally. The T3 situation is a contributing factor. Drivability of all T3's without a transfer case or REAL 4XMotion AWD drivetrain system are a SERIOUS hinderance to the uninitiated and a liability on the trail. Gearing at altitude is also VERY important, especially when you are on 100% grade at 13,000 feet. I am not comfortable guiding a T3 on any moderate to advanced trail at this time.

I don't know what this means to the future of the Touareg Rally. I'll miss seeing each and every one of my friends and participants, and I will hate to not be in Ouray this year. I won't miss what is likely to be $6.00/gal gas at the Riverside Conoco this year. puke

Stay tuned.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
To KleinBus, a weekend only in Ouray is hard to do. Not only are the trails CROWDED, the lodging is expensive and the drive from the Denver metro area is too far (6 hours) to be considered worth it for the organizers, or at least this organizer.

I will be in Colorado during the usual times, but my wheeling will be limited to the Front Range (Evergreen/Cripple Creek/Idaho Springs/Central City/Winter Park) and Central Colorado (Vail/Breckenridge/Leadville) areas. If you find yourself near Denver, shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
As to 2012 Rally, we'll see what happens. It is getting really late to reserve some of the usual rental properties. My own availability is lost later in that usual last July week due to family events. But if not 2012, I think 2013 would be highly likely - we did miss 2009 and came back strong.
I also wasn't planning a trip to the Rally this year, but was hoping to return in 2013. [-o<

And who know, perhaps by then we'll have a better sense of how T3s may do in high-altitude/slope terrain.

One would think that TDIs with up-sized ATs might not do much worse than T1-2 V6 gassers with steel suspension and street tires...

61 - 80 of 84 Posts