Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
I like Matt had no previous four wheeling experience, but I did race mountain bikes for like 5 years. So I grasp the relavence of looking for a good line. But you still have to take it slow and easy. Honestly it is not a good idea to go out on your own since if you do get stuck or have an issue, you are there alone.

Altitude was brought up and is a good point as well. You need to stay hydrated. Ouray is like at I think 7000 ft or so and some of the trails we run range anywhere from 10 - 13,000 ft above sealevel. It can bother some people that were never exposed to it before. I am aclimated to it since I live at 4500 ft and generally ski at 9 - 10,000. Cold should be no issue for you since you are coming from a place that gets pretty damn cold in the winter.

So plan on joining us next year, you will have fun. :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
The cold is definitly not an issue!! I went to the Discount Tire site today and I think I am going to go with the General Grabber tires. I read the reviews and it seems that would be the best tire option for me. I have also read that some have used these at the rally so it works out perfect. I'll be prepared for our nasty winters, and for the Rally.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Are you referring to the Grabber AT2 or the Grabber UHP?

I was originally going to get the General Grabber AT2s, but wound up with the Nittos by chance. I will say the Nittos have been great, and even in their oversized goodness, they hold the road extremely well. I have yet to hear a squeal out of them while cornering on pavement, which can't be said of my previous Pirellis. Good stuff for sure.

I know plewis on here had the Grabber AT2s at the rally last year. I don't think anyone has run the Grabber UHPs at the rally though.

Matt

·
Registered
179 Posts
Heh, heh. The peanut gallery will stay silent, for now. I guess my shovel was just bored and wanted some use :D
This “Peanut” will definitely stay silent. However, “Garry's Gulch” does have a nice ring to it! ;)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Put Your Fears to Rest

Alex, I think you are worrying about things that you don't have to worry about. One of our credos is "No Treg left behind" (coined by Hap). There is plenty of help and no one gets left to struggle. We have even ridden with first timers to offer guidance and help. You will come out of the Rally with new found confidence, knowledge, AND elation.

Our toughest situations this year included:

Karl's Crossing - no real danger here except to the Treg. Resolution: Chris hooked on, pulled him out, and group 1 headed on up the hill while group 2 went geocaching to avoid clogging the trail with Tregs.

Garry's Gulch - This was a little tricky as it was a long way down the hill if he had not high-centered. Resolution: With great physics from ORRTAUQ, we belayed the front end to a rock up the gully, hooked on and pulled him back on the trail, then came on down as the trail was closed above.

As an added note: Ladies also drive, teenagers drive, even Kaitlan drove a little and she is only 12. (honked at me a couple of times to get a move on as we descended)

Don't fret.....you will learn a lot and have lots of fun a.k.a. have a couple of beers, maybe enjoy a good cigar, meets lots of great folks, wonder at the scenery and flowers, be fascinated by some great mining history, and oh yeah, 4 wheel to your hearts delight.

Rick

·
Registered
591 Posts
I guess you dont have this kind of terrain in Dubai.....

Anyway, you are looking at the 2008 Rally, we have had the 2010 and 2011 Rally since then. You might enjoy reading on those too

Rick

·
Registered
179 Posts
Do you think you can go for a Rally without air suspension or rather stay at home? or go somewhere else?

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
Do you think you can go for a Rally without air suspension or rather stay at home? or go somewhere else?
You can do it without air. I did it my first two times in my 04 which did not have air. You will have to pick your lines a little differently and I recommend if you can going with a taller tire to help with clearance a little. We have never gone anywhere where both could not get through. That being said don't plan on showing up with low profile 20" plus wheel/tires with AT type tread. It will not work out so well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thank you Yeti for your answer. True I'm running 19s now but I bought 17 canyon rims and they are ready for some 255/65/17 tires which give "little" 1" more clearance over stock. I can't go higher on V6TDI. I'm sorry enough about that since it's not a tire tread. It would be really nice to see San Juan Mtns from the Touareg seat since we saw them already driving our Passat, hiking and cycling. Looking at the pictures you guys post from trails you take it is totally different experience. It's really great forum with so many wonderful and dedicated people!

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
I want to make it back out, but I just recently moved back to the east coast due to a new job. I was a lot closer to the area living in SLC. I don't know if you know or not I am running a 245/70/17 on my TDI and I run those all year round. You get a little rubbing on the intercooler vents on extreme slow speed turning, buy over all not bad. They work out to a 30.5" diameter tire which puts the speeding dead on accurate buy makes the odometer 5% slow. I am sure you read you will need a full size spare to come on the trip as well since the limited service is not a good idea on the trail.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes I know the rules about full size spare and the other stuff since me and my wife wanted to go for a Rally before. But what stopped us was lack of air suspension in our Touareg. It's like you don't want to join the party to slow everybody down. But as you wrote that you could do without air so we would be happy to join next year.
As for the distance it is really quite a ride from PA or CT where we live. We did only three trips to the west so far and we loved it. Limited time off is our only limitation (not all of us but many probably deals with this issue). So time will tell what's gonna happen next summer. I wish you could make it even from the east cost (like Schubie did and shared great pictures also).

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
It is not that bad especially when driving in such a comfortable vehical. I did SLC to York, PA on three seperate occassions and manged that drive in two days all three times. My biggest issue was bordem over being tired or fatigued. My last trip from SLC to PA was when I moved here and that was in three days due to towing a trailer. I am thinking Ouray could be done in two, but know Schubie takes a little longer since his family is with him. I was running solo all the times I did it. When I get time off again or find something back in SLC, it will be awhile before I can make another Rally.

·
Too Cool to Leave School
711 Posts
I've done MD to Breckenridge, CO in two days and it was a relaxing pace... this was going the "long" way (80 to 70)... I'm slightly biased however, as I've done Hastings, NE to MD and Bozeman, MT to MD both as non-stop drives w/ a co-driver and San Diego to MD in 3 days solo

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
majohnson said:
Is there any one out there that make any kind of lift kit.
Not commercially and honestly you will be fine with a non air vehical in Ouray.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Are plans underway for a 2012 meet? If so, when is the trip expected to happen?

My wife and I have travelled extensively (relative to others from Toronto - we're not locals! :)) through the Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and Utah (and up to Jasper, Alberta) over the last few years. We've mostly done US National Parks. This past September (2011) we flew into Denver and then drove to Rocky Mountain NP., Tetons NP and Yellowstone NP. All previous trips were by car, driving from home. I had not wanted to take my car down some of the rougher roads.

Having just bought a 2012 Touareg TDI (Comfortline), I'm hoping to get a little more adventurous, though I'm not sure the 2012 is suitable for a trip like Ouray. I have zero off-road experience, though I'm hoping to change that this summer. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
For starters, what size wheels on your TDI? If low profile 19 or 20" I don't recommend you even bother with Ouray unless you get smaller wheels with taller sidewall tires. Not to mention the Rally requires you carry a full size spare when out with them. Also need basic recovery equipment as well.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts
About this Discussion
83 Replies
24 Participants
Nils
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing