Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrival Day

A few of us early arrivals enjoyed an afternoon running Corkscrew and a mine at the far north end of Ross Basin. We did try a trail that at one time connected with Sunnyside Saddle - but ended at an avalanche field. Some played in the snow while others tried a hand at talus slope bowling. On the way back Rick sliced a sidewall.

As rally'ers arrived, we found the driver that had parked the Toyota Racing Dev rig in front of the Warehouse.

Folks rolled in, greetings, food served, stories told.

On the trails Monday at 9:00 am.

I am posting photos to
http://picasaweb.google.com/KF6VOM/ColoradoRally2008

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Good morning everyone! It's going to be a beautiful day today, but watch out for heavy rain this afternoon.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Day 1 Report

The Alpine Loop...

We met at 9:00 am, and pulled out as two groups around 9:30 am. Both groups started at opposite ends of the western Alpine Loop.

Group 1 was Hap, RickAnns, Ortauq, Jerry, Arkarch, and Yeti. This group went up Engineers, past Mineral Point, and onto the lunch spot at Animas Forks. After lunch, the return was through California Pass, Hurricane, and Corkscrew.

Group 2 was Aircooled, TREGinCo and Rob, VegasMatt, Gary, and Lawrence. This group went up Corkscrew, visited a huge snowfield on County 53, then Hurricane and California Pass, dropping into Animas Forks to meet up with Group 1. Group 2 then went on to Engineers.

My photos are all of Group 1 activities. Lots of Geocaching and mine exploring during the day.

Lineup at 9:00 am

Yeti on early climb on Engineers.

RickAnns and Ortauq on California Pass ascent.

Ortauq on early Engineer's climb

Hap's Touareg on Engineers.

VegasMatt and I were able to use 2m Ham radio to keep both groups in occasional contact.

More Group 1 photos at http://picasaweb.google.com/KF6VOM/ColoradoRally2008

Anyone with a report on Group 2 w/ Photos?

Great day. Been raining a bunch tonight. Muddy tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

We did Imogene today.

Some of us returned from the top, others returned after lunch at Tomboy, and yet others went all the way to Telluride and back around. It was storming pretty good at the top.

Trail had some good snow below the crest on the Camp Bird side. Some of the obstacles were more challenging than last year. We had spectators.

A few of us did get to have some time in the V10. Several have driven part of the trail in it. Others have done a highway run. I ran it up to Ridgeway and back with TREGinCO, doing Power Braking in the middle of 550 and testing the Adaptive Cruise Control. What a machine that V10 is! Effortless quiet power. For Power Braking, we stopped the vehicle dead on 550, held the brake, rev'd to 2000, and let it launch! The ACC will slow and lock your speed to a car in front of you using radar; I think it may be a must-have feature. It does have its drawbacks - if the radar loses contact with the vehicle in front (such as turning off or you changing lanes), the ACC will attempt to resume to set speed - and that could be in a slower zone. So you still need to follow your set speed to the local limits. The V10 TREGInCo brought along also has several European features - aspherical mirrors and collision avoidance. I did not car for asperical.

Wednesday is not a trail day. We'll have more trails on Thursday.

I'll post some photos Wednesday morning.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Arrival Day

A few of us early arrivals enjoyed an afternoon running Corkscrew and a mine at the far north end of Ross Basin. We did try a trail that at one time connected with Sunnyside Saddle - but ended at an avalanche field. Some played in the snow while others tried a hand at talus slope bowling. On the way back Rick sliced a sidewall.

As rally'ers arrived, we found the driver that had parked the Toyota Racing Dev rig in front of the Warehouse.

Folks rolled in, greetings, food served, stories told.

On the trails Monday at 9:00 am.

I am posting photos to
Picasa Web Albums - Karl - Colorado Rall...
These pictures are amazing, you can count me in 100 percent for next year.

Linder

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
I'll try to post some pics up today. We have had limited time and extremely limited net access.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Some assorted pics from Day 0, Day 1 and Day 2.

Today is our off day. I'm happy to be NOT bouncing down trails today.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Great times in Ouray once again.

Got to drive the V10 last night. I can't believe it, but that engine throws the Touareg around like it's a toy, not a 6000-pound vehicle. Absoultely amazing!

Some of my pics from the last couple days. Enjoy!
Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thursday morning report...

Wednesday Night --- Too much #7! I'll explain later.

Hap/Rick are leading a group at 9:00 am - I think to Governors.

Chris is leading a group at 10:00 am up to Yankee Boy.

More photos tonight.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today was Governors Basin and Yankee Boy. We could not reach the top of either due to snow, but several did hike to the top of Governors Basin.

I posted more photos in my Picasa Gallery. I'll caption and post some highlights later.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are some photos from Thursday...

TheMadHatter stream crossing

Lawrence, Rick/Ann, and VegasMatt

The Geocacher's find a location near Governor's Basin.

Geocache Log Entry from the 3rd Annual Touareg Rally

Hiking up the last section of Governors Basin. Snow blocked our way.

Dog captures a snowball on a slope on Governor's Basin.

TheMadHatter finds snow and mud at the top of Yankee Boy.

Tow strap rescue by Orttauq and Rick/Ann. The Touareg was sliding down bank on earlier escape attempts, as you may notice the passenger rear is unloaded. Steep slope not percieved by camera shot.

The boulder used to help anchor TheMadHatter's front end was lifted out of the snow after rescue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Hatter

What in the heck is my man thinking? What is he doing to OUR pretty Touareg? See what happens when I'm not there.

I want to thank all of you for posting photos, please keep them coming. I hope your Friday is full of good weather and lots of fun!!!

My love to you all,
-Michelle#-o
P.S. I love you honey and please don't kill our Touareg!

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
What in the heck is my man thinking? What is he doing to OUR pretty Touareg? See what happens when I'm not there.

I want to thank all of you for posting photos, please keep them coming. I hope your Friday is full of good weather and lots of fun!!!

My love to you all,
-Michelle#-o
P.S. I love you honey and please don't kill our Touareg!
We are doing our best to keep him and the Treg safe, but he is an adult. I think you need to be here with him next year to keep his azz in line. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone,
Hope the trails were good to you today. I notice there are no group photos of the Tregs or people. How about you guys take a photo of the whole group out in front of the warehouse.
Have a great party tonite!!!
Matt, don't forget to pack the BBQ.
-Michelle

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Friday,

We went to American Basin by way of Silverton and Cinnamon Pass. Storms were a constant threat and we did get rain on parts. Cinnamon had a few rough spots including a mud hole. American Basin was quite rough. The reward every year was the incredible wild flower bloom.

On the way back most of us went up to a tram house / mine on the ascent to Stony Pass. The location was Buffalo Bobs (correct), the top end of a roughly mile long tram. Great trail - multi-point turns on switchbacks and shelf roads - and full of trees. This place would be beautiful during the fall colors.

We ended festivities at Billy Goats (Groats?) Beer Garden. Then traded photos, said goodbyes.

I will post more photos once I get to my destination later today. Packing up.

Til next year.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts