Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I acquired a direct replacement for my VW/Garrett Turbo charger to replace mine which is showing signs of wear. That wear being in the Variable Geometry hardware which is internal to the exhaust side and unable to be lubricated. As a result wear and deterioration is unavoidable.

The replacement is from Denco Diesel in Wagga Wagga NSW, thanks going to our resident accountant and price checking expert, Seafarer28 (aka Tony B). The price from VW for Part Number 059 145 722 R was AU$ 3,790.00 plus 10% GST (Tax), where this unit, although being a Garrett, makes no mention of VW or any part numbers except the Garrett # which is 776470-5003W and sells for the price of $1,710.00 or 45 % of the OEM cost. By the way the Denco price included GST and delivery.

Thank you Tony, another fine mess you have rescued me from...

Stuart.....

Modern Art at Its Best

Attachments

·
Learner
4,917 Posts
Interesting, how did you know your turbo had worn out Stuart?

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Interesting, how did you know your turbo had worn out Stuart?
The engine is dropping into limp mode "Torque restriction to Protect Engine" in MFD and total loss of power from time to time whilst towing the caravan. Only happens at high loads at the moment, however Tony B had the same issue and it will get worse over time. I put this in the Long term maintenance category.

Research on the Web indicates that wear in the mech results in the vanes being unable to direct the gas flow to the required amount. Another common fault is carbon jamming the mech, but mine is quite free, so it looks like wear is the culprit.

Stu...

·
Learner
4,917 Posts
Makes me wonder about the turbos in the v10 now....carbon eh....hmmmm

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Trying to make my Car Live for Ever.

Job Done,

The car has its new Turbo, and as expected, I can't tell the difference.. A little disappointing for the money spent..LOL.. However Ange, Dave and Matt at Volksrepair in Airport West (see link below) did a great job, along with replacing all my rear suspension hardware. Now I have a car with most failure risks removed/replaced/or mitigated. It's almost like a partial odometer reset. :)

So the following items have now been replaced by Volksrepair, above and beyond normal scheduled maintenance:

1. Wheel Bearings ( front and rear ) 2 years ago
2. Common Rail HPFP 3 months ago
3. Front Suspension Swing Arms ( upper and Lower) 2 months ago.
4. Rear Suspension Swing Arms ( upper and Lower) Last Week.
5. Turbocharger - Last Week.

Thanks to....

VolksRepair - The Best Aftermarket VW shop in Melbourne.....

http://www.volksrepairairportwest.com.au/About-Us

If anybody is interested the Suspension parts are from.......

Front.....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x-Querlenker-vorne-oben-unten-Porsche-Cayenne-955-VW-Touareg-7LA-Vorderachse/351643787363?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Rear..........

VW TOUAREG 7LA 7L6 REAR SUSPENSION ARM WISHBONE CONTROL SET KIT HIGHT QUALITY | eBay

VW TOUAREG CAYENNE Q7 REAR SUSPENSION ARM WISHBONE CONTROL SET KIT LOWER BUSH | eBay

Tregging is an Addiction

Stuart....

Attachments

·
Learner
4,917 Posts
Nice one Stu! Thanks for sharing these links too

·
Registered
143 Posts
Re: A little disappointing for the money spent.

Hi Stu,
Did you try oven cleaner trick first on Turbo? If you still have it, can you show us what exhaust side looks like and how many km it did? I'm curious as to how much gunk/wear was accumulated.

Ta. Sam.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
If the mechanicals aren't too bad you can disassemble the turbo, clean everything very well, and lubricate the vanes with a nice nuclear grade anti-seize paste :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts