Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace passenger side front foglight assembly on my 2012 T3 after it was damaged by flying debris on the highway. Any suggestions on how to start stripping the bumper trim to get to the foglight unit itself?

·
Registered
499 Posts
It's super simple. The cover in front of the fog light pulls off and there are a couple screws that hold the fog light in place. I just used a 90 degree pick and started from the inside of the bumper moving outward, once you get it started you will see how simply it comes off.

Reactions: chassis

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone have pictures or videos showing the cover removal? If so, you'll be the first since an internet search doesn't yield any results. You can even see the tabs from behind (after removing cover in wheel well) yet pushing them outward does not budge the cover.

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Does anyone have a definitive DIY with pictures for the fog light replacement? I'm not fully understsnding what needs to be done.

·
Registered
499 Posts
My other light is cracked so I ordered one and am just waiting on it to come in. When it does I'll take pictures for you. It's super simple.

·
Registered
16 Posts
BradB- I found that working from the inside out using a small flat blade screwdriver to to depress the tabs inward and working each out at a time- the cover will manage to disengage. Once you can pop the corner out you can pull the 2 awkward tabs out as well. Those 2 have the tab 'catch' facing center so pushing inward makes them grab more. Unlike philthyphil- I found it tedious, not simple as it's easy to slip and scratch paint. It's just not a good design for a fog cover. :-k

[/
URL]

Reactions: Calibre

·
Registered
16 Posts
Side tabs- looking upward. (right-side cover)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Side tabs- looking upward. (right-side cover)

My cover didn't have those tabs sticking up like that. I'll take some pics when I pull my other side off.

·
Registered
447 Posts
3astan and noobytoogy, thanks! Those images are most helpful. I am waiting for the part to come into the dealer then will get at it. phillthyphil, I hope its as easy as you say! :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well I finally got around to replacing my broken fog light. Lucky for me the $123 light was paid for with my VW Dieselgate credit card. Everyone's help was appreciated when removing the painted valence. It took quite a bit of effort.

Something to note, the way the tabs are shaped, the valence is meant to pull out in a linear "forward, toward the front of the car" direction when removing. I loosened a few tabs but releasing the two hooked tabs (as indicated above in 3astan's post above) allows the whole piece to move directly forward and finally pop out. Conversely, when reinstalling, be sure to start lining up all the tabs before pushing in rearward to engage the final two hooked tabs. If you don't get all these tabs lined up before the hooked tabs, you will be unable to push them in correctly.

Reactions: Calibre
1 - 15 of 15 Posts