Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my new-to-me 2016 TDI Lux I received Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 tires (265/50R19) with a respectable amount of tread left. I was wondering about their suitability in winter (here in Montana winter is the longest season) so I checked reviews on Tirerack.com.

Wow. Rated 5.1 out of 10 in 340 reviews, winter performance is 3 out of 10. The reviews are damning of these tires, apparently the closest things to true bacon grease ever mounted on a wheel. Dry handling is OK, but nobody likes them in the wet either.

So I need to do something. Soon. I have maybe 2 1/2 months before this area goes white.

I started out by looking at "Severe snow service" tires, one that came up was a brand I have never heard of- Vredestein, the tire is the Quatrac 5. So I had to Google them, and now I know they are based in The Netherlands and have been around a long time.

Ratings on TR were a solid 9/10 in all categories, even 8.9 in snow beating the Pirelli Scorpion Winter (8.8). A good performing all season that works well on snow and ice?

Someone talk me out of these.

I would rather not have to swap out winter/summer tires. On my former DD I had mounted Michelin X-Ice Xi3 snow tires and ran them year round (why not- they had a 40,000 mile warranty?) and they are about done now- after 54,000 miles. I wish the X-Ice came in a LT size!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
They sound like the Nokian tires that a lot of people love on the touareg.

Running winter tires in summer is like running summer tires in winter. It is a bad idea.

You could get a second set of used wheels to mount your winter tires on. Swapping wheels is not more trouble then doing a tire rotation. I would call those H/L 400 your summer tires. ;)

Or you could find a all season tire that you can run year round and just leave them on. You will lose some winter traction, but that is the trade off for not having to change wheels.

·
Registered
460 Posts
For my '11 Treg I have a set of 18" 2010 VW rims fitted with Nokian Nordman 7SUV tires (non-studded). They did great in the snow/slush. I switched off the traction control and had no problems at all.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I would rather not have to swap out winter/summer tires. On my former DD I had mounted Michelin X-Ice Xi3 snow tires and ran them year round (why not- they had a 40,000 mile warranty?) and they are about done now- after 54,000 miles. I wish the X-Ice came in a LT size!
You are now driving a heavy vehicle that usually chews up rubber at accelerated rates..... not having dedicated winter tires will certainly kill your tires in under a year depending on amount of driving......

If you want to run snows only, get China cheap crap and be ready to replace them every year while also giving up summer performance and comfort.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The Nokian WRG3 is available in the 265/50/19 110V XL rating for the Touareg, if you really don't want two sets of rims/tires for winter and summer this is a decent choice.
I have them on 17" rims for winter driving and they are smooth, fairly quiet and handle well. For me I chose not to get a true snow tire because even though we have a decent amount of snow here I drive on dry raods 75% ofthe time between December to April when winter setup is on the Touareg and these should wear longer than snows and definitely handle better in dry conditions. Snow traction is excellent !

Another option in the "All Weather" catagory https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/crossover-tires-celsius-cuv

Running the Toyo Open Country QT on 19" rims and very happy with them !

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I have narrowed my choices down to the following-

Nokian WR G3 (went looking for the G4, not available in my size).
Vredestein Quatrac 5

Costs in this part of the world will be- $908 installed for the Nokians, $1,002 for the Vredesteins.

Anyone thinking of any reason to choose the Vredestein over the Nokian?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So now wondering about getting a set of rims/winter tires. Looking at Tirerack and they have a decent price on some 18x8" rims, and the Yokohama Iceguard IG51V snow tires-255/55r18 package is $1,510 mounted, balanced and with TPMS sensors.

They appear to be as good as the Blizzak DM-V2 but less money.

Questions- Smaller rims better/worse for snow tires (my OEMs are 265/50R19)?
Not good at the math- will it change my odometer/speedometer accuracy to run those wheels?
Do I care about getting the TPMS sensors? It's a $240 add on.

Thanks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You can run 18" rims or 17" rims and put the appropriate size tire (tread width/sidewall height)on the rims to maintain the same overall diameter as the OEM set up of 29.5". Your speedometer will remain accurate.
Do you have to run TPMS ? You don't but you will get a warning light on your dash every time you start your vehicle so if you can live with that it's your call.
My winter set up is 17" rims that came of a 2010 Touareg with 235/65/17 tires, narrow and tall but are an awesome winter set up in deep snow and the slush we have around here with all the salt they use to help get rid of the snow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
On my new-to-me 2016 TDI Lux I received Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 tires (265/50R19) with a respectable amount of tread left. I was wondering about their suitability in winter (here in Montana winter is the longest season) so I checked reviews on Tirerack.com.

Wow. Rated 5.1 out of 10 in 340 reviews, winter performance is 3 out of 10. The reviews are damning of these tires, apparently the closest things to true bacon grease ever mounted on a wheel. Dry handling is OK, but nobody likes them in the wet either.

So I need to do something. Soon. I have maybe 2 1/2 months before this area goes white.

I started out by looking at "Severe snow service" tires, one that came up was a brand I have never heard of- Vredestein, the tire is the Quatrac 5. So I had to Google them, and now I know they are based in The Netherlands and have been around a long time.

Ratings on TR were a solid 9/10 in all categories, even 8.9 in snow beating the Pirelli Scorpion Winter (8.8). A good performing all season that works well on snow and ice?

Someone talk me out of these.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been very happy in whatever type of terrain and weather with first my Cooper Zeon XLTs (did 86000 kilometres before having to b replaced) and now my Cooper SRXs. I don't think you can go paast them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was seriously looking at the Quatrac 5 as well but every local shop has no clue what the are. Local discount tire recommended the Pirelli zero plus all season. I might be going with these. Hoping for a labor day rebate...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was seriously looking at the Quatrac 5 as well but every local shop has no clue what the are. Local discount tire recommended the Pirelli zero plus all season. I might be going with these. Hoping for a labor day rebate...
There is a 10% Labor Day rebate from Discount. I need a set of tires for my 2015 Lux before winter, so I’m reading up. The OE Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS are wearing well, at 30K miles there is plenty of tread to go at least another 10K, but they are 4.5 years old and starting to dry rot.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was able to buy my Quatrac 5s from Firestone Tire Center. They want $2 more than they are on Tirerack, plus mounting. They have a Hunter Road Force balancer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m also looking at the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus in 255/55R19. That size is common on Land Rovers (heavy pigs like the Trag). They are .5” taller and the section width is .5” narrower than the current 265/50R19. The diameter on the OE 20” shows 29.8”, the OE 18” is 29”. I know the 255/55R19 will fit no problem, the calculators are showing the speedo would read 1 mph low, which might help highway mpg. They get great reviews and cost the same as the OE Pirelli tires. The only negative I could see is that the wheels might be slightly more prone to curb rash with 1/4” less rubber on the outside.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m also looking at the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus in 255/55R19. That size is common on Land Rovers (heavy pigs like the Trag). They are .5” taller and the section width is .5” narrower than the current 265/50R19. The diameter on the OE 20” shows 29.8”, the OE 18” is 29”. I know the 255/55R19 will fit no problem, the calculators are showing the speedo would read 1 mph low, which might help highway mpg. They get great reviews and cost the same as the OE Pirelli tires. The only negative I could see is that the wheels might be slightly more prone to curb rash with 1/4” less rubber on the outside.
Really good treadwear rating, but weak on snow and ice. I'm thinking I will be happy with the Vredesteins, especially as they are $160 less for the set. Oh, and that snow and ice are a fact of life here for 4 months of the year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Really good treadwear rating, but weak on snow and ice. I'm thinking I will be happy with the Vredesteins, especially as they are $160 less for the set. Oh, and that snow and ice are a fact of life here for 4 months of the year.
I deal with snow November to March most years, Flagstaff gets an average of 100” annually. On my 2011 Touareg the Michelin Latitude Tour were decent in snow, but they were the 255/55R18.

The tire rack ratings are showing #3 for the Bridgestone I’m looking at. I usually trust their ratings when there are millions of miles reported. The OE style Pirelli are #8 on that list.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From that chart it is a good pick, I can see that. But when I was looking for my OEM 19" size I homed in on the Vredestein Quatrac 5 because I discovered it had that 3 peak snow rating, then clicked on "See ratings for all tires in this category". Which brings up the Grand Touring All Season chart.

For me the Vredestein became a no-brainer because every tire above it in the rankings was not available in my size. That and the snow/ice traction ratings, plus the high reported miles in the ratings (1.7 million).

Apples and oranges I suppose, but I did note that the number one pick on the Crossover chart is number 9 on the Grand Touring list- not exactly the same but presumably very similar performance, the BF Goodrich Advantage T/A LT or BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport.

Well, I hope I made the right choice. I will report back after winter and let you know if they let me down!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
madkiwi
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing