Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and also new owner of Touareg 2016 with head unit RNS 850. However, I would like to ask you do you know any head unit that can fully replace the head unit with carplay compatibility. So far I have checked some Pioneer and Kenwood models, but I am not sure how well they are going to fit in the head unit of the Touareg.
Does anyone have any ideas :?)

Regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and also new owner of Touareg 2016 with head unit RNS 850. However, I would like to ask you do you know any head unit that can fully replace the head unit with carplay compatibility. So far I have checked some Pioneer and Kenwood models, but I am not sure how well they are going to fit in the head unit of the Touareg.
Does anyone have any ideas :?)

Regards
I have a similar request (though mine is a 2013 Touareg Lux). I have been looking at the Alpine ILX-107 but crutchfield states the compatibility is unknown.

Here is a Youtube video to a Pioneer head unti, but it does not state any lost / gained functionality.

Here's to hoping there is a solution for airplay without losing the current functionality of the on-screen menus.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have the answers to functionality or loss there of when replacing the factory head unit with an aftermarket. However, I did see that Best Buy has a TON of deals for this week's sales on Carplay and Android compatible head units. Take a look at their Black Friday ad.

·
Registered
85 Posts
rns 850 is not a complete unit in itself- what you can see (the unit in the dash) is just a screen controlling other parts scattered around the car- dvd in the glove box- amplifier in the panel below the rear right window- plus more i think.

all controlled by an optical cable i believe.

bottom line is it is not an easy system to replace. that's one of the reasons i decided on a model that had the RCD550- that is an all-in-one system- it is easy to replace. when you remove it all components of the entertainment system are gone.

however you can ADD to the system. it involves hacking into the optical signal and rerouting it to aftermarket amplifiers, signal processors etc.
this will only give added power and music quality/ control, but im not sure how you would add carplay or other operating systems.

check out this stereo build in a Touareg with the RNS system:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/151862-oem-appearance-balanced-custom-fabrication-2013-vw-touareg-tdi-sq-build.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts