Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to replace my sub frame carrier with a unit I got from a Porsche Cayenne.
I want to powder coat it so I got 4 bushes to replace them after powder coating.
Wow are those bushes tight, so tight had to make a copy of the VW replacement tool to get them out.
Not sure in reality if they would ever need replacing in the real world but powder coating requires it.
Note the bushes have to be fitted in a certain orientation.

regards
Drag

Attachments

· Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drag
Are you going into the tool rental business?

lol no Jim not at all I just need the bushes removed and tried a half arse setup to get them out that failed miserably.
So I figured like I should have in the first place make the proper tool for the job.
Oh and did I mention I love tools (my wife says obsessed).

regards
Drag

· Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What started as just a painting exercise has revealed a potential issue with the sub frame bushes.
Upon removing the first bush I noticed on close inspection that the bush rubber was actually cracked in the bonded area of inner to outer.
This came as a surprise as I once said they would basically last forever.
For those that maybe chasing noise in the suspension this seems like an area to inspect.
This vehicle had 150,000 kms so not a huge amount of mileage for this to happen.

Oh I will repeat that hell the bushes are tight in the sub frame taking more than 10 tonnes to pull them out at the start.

regards
Drag

Attachments

· Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drag
Looking at the photos you have removed the frame. What is holding the rest of the Treg together?

Jim the sub frame is a unit I got out of a wrecked Porsche Cayenne that had been hit up the rear.
All the sub frames for all T1 & T2 are the same. and like wise the Porsche and I would think the Q7.

regards
Drag

· Registered
1 Posts
I'm going to replace my sub frame carrier with a unit I got from a Porsche Cayenne.
I want to powder coat it so I got 4 bushes to replace them after powder coating.
Wow are those bushes tight, so tight had to make a copy of the VW replacement tool to get them out.
Not sure in reality if they would ever need replacing in the real world but powder coating requires it.
Note the bushes have to be fitted in a certain orientation.

regards
Drag
I'm looking to find the tool to complete this task with the subframe in situ but can't find one the right side of $1000 did you have the plans for yours?

· Registered
2 Posts
What started as just a painting exercise has revealed a potential issue with the sub frame bushes.
Upon removing the first bush I noticed on close inspection that the bush rubber was actually cracked in the bonded area of inner to outer.
This came as a surprise as I once said they would basically last forever.
For those that maybe chasing noise in the suspension this seems like an area to inspect.
This vehicle had 150,000 kms so not a huge amount of mileage for this to happen.

Oh I will repeat that hell the bushes are tight in the sub frame taking more than 10 tonnes to pull them out at the start.

regards
Drag
Drag sent you a DM will happily pay for the file and CNC locally.
185,000 on my 2011 cayenne the bushings are cracked and need to be pressed out.
thanks Jay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.