Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First of all sorry for this long post but there's lots of information to get through.

I've managed to break the driver's side (right in Australia) centre console, split armrest in my 2015, 3 litre, TDI P7.

It appears that I have broken the two little plastic holes in which the rods slide. I don't know if I've broken any other essential component.

I would like to replace or reinstall the armrest so that it operates (opens and slides) but I don't know how to fit it back into place. That is, attach it to the slides in the centre console.

That little circlip or washer seems to be useful.

I'm hoping that on Monday that I'll either be able to buy a replacement armrest or just add a couple of pieces of wire to replace the plastic holes that I appear to have broken off. The problem is, I don't know how to reinstall the armrest.

Has anybody done this before? Does anybody know how to install a replacement armrest?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,169 Posts
Well I have never had to replace one of these, much less try to reinstall one side. It seems the part # for the whole unit is 7P6864207B. I see some people selling them on Ebay, but they are used.
To replace the whole armrest unit it looks like the rear compartment/vent controls for the rear needs to be removed to access the mounting bolts. Attached is a picture of the center console with this area removed for reference.

Link of armrest ass'y I found >>> Volkswagen Touareg II 2013 Armrest 7P6864207B UTO1253 | eBay

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,169 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,358 Posts
@Deli Llama
Have you checked with wreckers in Victoria/ACT/NSW??

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

To tell you the truth I just pushed it together because I went away for a week and forgot about looking at doing anything about it on my return.

Pulling apart everything to replace the little broken bits seems like a lot of work to me. I think I'll look at a dodgy repair (amazing what a bit of wire can do) and if I can't do that then it's off to the expensive VW service centre.

I've found that buying stuff on ebay from the USA may be reasonably priced but the shipping usually costs a fortune.

There are no Wreckers that I know of in the ACT (where I live) but I did see an advertisement for a Wreckers near Cowra. That may be an option with the COVID-19 restrictions that are bound to happen after Christmas.

Thanks again for your replies. Adding my car's details seems to have worked.

Reactions: Steve_L

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,169 Posts
That's not the one. My arm rest also slides forward. Maybe the differences between Australia, EU and USA models?
They all slide forward.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh. It looks different. Anyway, I'll try to bodgy a fix and if that doesn't work, I'll look at alternatives. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally got around to fixing the armrest. I glued a couple of brass rings where the broken plastic holes were and fed the sliding bars through those rings. It seems to work really well and cheap too. :)

Thanks for all your advice.

Reactions: New2Tregs

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,169 Posts
I finally got around to fixing the armrest. I glued a couple of brass rings where the broken plastic holes were and fed the sliding bars through those rings. It seems to work really well and cheap too. :)

Thanks for all your advice.
Post up a pic if you can. Maybe it'll help someone else who runs into this problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Deli Llama
How did you removed the armrest?
The armrest came off when it broke.

Two rings of plastic were somehow broken, highlighted by the orange in this image:

That's also where I glued in two brass rings that I passed the two slides.

Reactions: adidas
1 - 12 of 12 Posts